2016 hyundai tucson 1.6 turbo oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Does not meet ACEA A5 Specs
Engine takes 4.5qts, Delo comes in 4 qt/1gal jugs. With the price of an extra individual quart he can find something that fully meets specs.

But, if trying to choose a 40 grade as per the diagram, you won't find an A5/B5. You can certainly get an A3/B4 or E7, E9 40 grade, either of which are very robust specifications. It's pretty hard to follow the manual recommendation to the letter when the specifications look like they were written by an intoxicated lawyer.

Read the last starred note. Find me an A5 5w-20. It doesn't exist.

For an A5/B5 5w-30, the best option is probably PP.

I agree that the easiest choice will be PP. Even QSUD (Hyundai and QS have a partnership to recommend QS) doesn't have A5 spec on containers.

Yep, not that I would have a problem with QSUD, either. I really think SOPUS needs to get A5/B5 on that bottle, as an aside, though. If they can afford to put a QS logo on a Formula 1 car, they can afford to play with the big boys with the oil specifications.

I agree with useing pp. Ive used in it the dart for its entire life of 30k miles. Ive since found the data sheet for castrol edge ep and its a5 certified. I wouldnt be afraid to run that oil either but there was a comment some one left about there being a tsb on the oil filter, can someone shed somelight on this?

Originally Posted By: moparguy19
I agree with useing pp. Ive used in it the dart for its entire life of 30k miles. Ive since found the data sheet for castrol edge ep and its a5 certified. I wouldnt be afraid to run that oil either but there was a comment some one left about there being a tsb on the oil filter, can someone shed somelight on this?

I believe this had to do with oil pressures, and Hyundai (kia) saying that only the OEM filter should be used. Others have used other filters with success. The TSB may also be outdated, and could have been for older vehicles.

I am using the OEM filters for my sisters car with the same engine. I also saw somewhere that the OEM filter will somehow reset the bluelink reminder for the oil change. Not 100% sure if it does, but I'm assuming it does on her Hyundai because I haven't seen the reminder pop up.

the issue with the TSB was cheaper filters blowing out (Ecores) as well as High Efficiency filters starving the engine, causing them to blow (many Hyundai Velosters had this issue)

The Hyundai Rep I had spoken too pretty much said their engines work better with OEM/Puro Classics/OCODs/Wix, solid metal tube, no plastic cages and no thick media, working the best with OBV a OEM filter.

Just one of those instances where a OCOD/Base model filter trumps a Ultra/TG/BOSS/WIX XP.

whats weird is that OEM Hyundai filters are comparable to either a MANN or Purolator, except there is a Hyundai logo inside the filter on the dome end bypass, a little bit heavier, and there are probably 2x as many center tube holes that are tighter spaced on the center tube, just from viewing the filter through the thread hole.

link 1

link 2

OEM Filters here Youre going to find them either made by Mann+Hummel Korea or Mobis, I order these, they come with crush washers, I received half Mobis, half Mann, both look identical except for MANN or Mobis branding on label

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Some QSUD has ACEA A5/B5 Specs, Seems like the AAP ones do, the WM ones don't.

The ones you are finding with A5/B5 are old stock, unfortunately.

So what is the verdict here. I hate that this is such a hard decision but i only want the best for my application and also adhering to the requirements for warranty purposes. Does qsud 5w30 have a5 cert and if not why do they recomend an oil that doesnt meet there own requirements

I've been using my local dealership, Coastal Hyundai, to service my 2016 Tucson Eco 1.6t. The oil changes are free up to 4 per year so that deal is kind of hard to just pass on. HOWEVER, it has come to my attention that they are using "5W-20 Advanced Duration Oil" on my engine, which is under-spec according to the owners manual. I've voiced my opinion about this to the service people and have received the same answer every time "We'll that's what we use on all these engines". I forced them to mark up my last service receipt with my objections, in case any engine damage were to occur.

It gives me pause as I do not know if they even realize there is a difference between the oil requirements and service intervals between the 2.0 and the 1.6t. Is there a TSB out there that allows the service techs to use certain 5w-20 oils?

Which is why they are free. Bring your own oil from Walmart and have them use that. If it takes 4 quarts be sure to ask for the remainder back. Leave a note on the jug and tell the service advisor to note that on the invoice so the tech knows what to do.

I would guess Castrol Magnatec would meet spec. Only $17-19 at WM.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Any 5w30 that meets the specs, just don't go over 5k intervals. That's the max Hyundai allows on their turbo engines. Napa full syn when it is on sale. No need to spend a bunch when you have to stick to a low change interval.

Also it is best to use the OEM filter. Even though you don't have to by law, there is a TSB on using aftermarket filters.

Correct, my wife's Kia, which if almost all Hyundai parts, has a crazy start up rattle if I use non OEM filters.

Originally Posted By: Satcom29Y
I've been using my local dealership, Coastal Hyundai, to service my 2016 Tucson Eco 1.6t. The oil changes are free up to 4 per year so that deal is kind of hard to just pass on. HOWEVER, it has come to my attention that they are using "5W-20 Advanced Duration Oil" on my engine, which is under-spec according to the owners manual. I've voiced my opinion about this to the service people and have received the same answer every time "We'll that's what we use on all these engines". I forced them to mark up my last service receipt with my objections, in case any engine damage were to occur.

It gives me pause as I do not know if they even realize there is a difference between the oil requirements and service intervals between the 2.0 and the 1.6t. Is there a TSB out there that allows the service techs to use certain 5w-20 oils?

Report that dealer to hundai

Hi, I recently purchased a 2016 Hyundai Tucson 1.6 Turbo Eco with 3,000 miles on it. The dealer says they changed the oil pre delivery.They recommend I change oil at 7500 miles and every 5000 miles thereafter.
I asked what oil they use and they say they use Pennzoil 5-30 synthetic blend. when i said OM says Turbo they say Blend is fine. Doesn't sound right to me.

Welcome golfer71909!

I believe your OM recommends ACEA A5, 5W-30. It also recommends non-A5 grades like 5W-40 etc. I would stick to 5K miles with Castrol EDGE, Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil1 5W-30 because they each meet A5. If you don't care for A5 (which by the recommendation of other grades doesn't seem to be a must), Valvoline, Quaker State or any other brand would suffice. Many on here will recommend a 5W/0W-40 A3/B4 as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back