New (to me) 2020 BMW X3 30i - Any tips?

My wife's been wanting a "new" car for a while. She's been driving a 2005 Expedition for several years, that we picked up dirt cheap from a family member. It's served us well, but we're selling it. Over the weekend, after a few test drives, we decided on a 2020 BMW X3 30i that we bought from our local BMW dealer. It still has 1 year of factory warranty and 1 additional year of warranty coverage through the BMW certified pre-owned program. It's really nice and my wife loves it. So I'm looking for tips from you all on preferred oil and filter choices, and any other tips you may have, especially if you have owned a similar BMW. Thanks, BITOGers!

I bet she's one happy gal moving from that earth cruiser to the X3. Glad to see the extended warranty... As for your questions, I like Mann oil/cabin/air filters in my German cars. M1 0W-40 is a popular oil, reasonably priced, easy to find and certainly will do no harm to your motor. I cannot keep up with which oil has LL-01 this week or if that is even a spec for your vehicle.

My thoughts are pretty much the same as above. We have a 2014 X3 (the previous Generation), but it’s been a great car. 160,000 miles and very few issues. Tiny coolant leak (turbo o-rings, did them myself for $10). The TPMS antenna failed (water got inside). $50 maybe for a used one. I think that’s it 🤔

I generally use Mann filters, but Mahle and Hengst are great too. Pretty reasonably priced at places like ECSTuning.

Thanks for the tips. Yes, my wife is happy with it compared to the land barge. We needed the Expy back when the kids were doing travel sports but now they're grown. I haven't read through the owner's manual yet, so I'm interested to see which oil is specified. First glance around the web seems to indicate a 0w20 BMW LL 17, but I need to verify. Thankfully I have a while before I have to worry about it, since my wife doesn't put many miles on a vehicle. She's had a Mercedes before so she's glad to be back in a "German" vehicle, which is made in South Carolina I think... :D

I'd run an LL-01 oil; change the brake fluid(DOT4) and coolant(BMW) every 2 years. At 60h to 80k miles I'd change the ATF, diffs, and TC oil(make sure that the adaptations are reset on the TC).
This may sound silly, but I also recommend using only BMW windshield washer fluid; some other brands will actually clog the filters in the system.
My go-to online part sources are The BMW MINI Part Store and FCP Euro.

Thanks MCompact! I never thought about windshield washer fluid until now. I will make sure to use the BMW stuff. I see they sell BMW OEM washer fluid concentrate on Amazon, and reviewers agree with you that only the real BMW stuff will work.

I love the X3 for what it offers in the SUV category. they made it in a stick for a very short while. I’d be pleased to welcome one to the family. in my limited time as a passenger in one, I was highly impressed.

I'd run an LL-01 oil; change the brake fluid(DOT4) and coolant(BMW) every 2 years. At 60h to 80k miles I'd change the ATF, diffs, and TC oil(make sure that the adaptations are reset on the TC).
This may sound silly, but I also recommend using only BMW windshield washer fluid; some other brands will actually clog the filters in the system.
My go-to online part sources are The BMW MINI Part Store and FCP Euro.
BMW switched to a longer lasting coolant in the 2018 model year. My car was made in August 2017 so it uses the old blue coolant. Definitely concur on the BMW windshield washer fluid as the underhood temperatures cook other fluids. Definitely concur with the BMW Mini Parts Store and FCPEuro.

We had a F25 X3 for a few years, albeit diesel. It was a great vehicle to drive, it actually puts the "sport" in SUV. The safety features are great, reliability has only improved with newer gens and that turbo 4-banger has plenty of life even without a tune (but man what fun a tune could be!)

Since you're under warranty I would stick to oils that carry LL-17 approval regardless of brand. Just find the one that's most easily available and/or best priced and change it regularly. Being a 3-yr old car, I'd definitely flush the brake fluid. New wipers wouldn't hurt, and tire rotation & balancing will have it feeling like it's on rails.

There's great debate on what proper tire pressures are or should be; I've found 36psi all around is the perfect balance for handling and comfort, especially if it's mainly 2 people and light luggage at most.

Other than than, enjoy it and consider perusing the X3 dedicated forums like https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=666

We had a F25 X3 for a few years, albeit diesel. It was a great vehicle to drive, it actually puts the "sport" in SUV. The safety features are great, reliability has only improved with newer gens and that turbo 4-banger has plenty of life even without a tune (but man what fun a tune could be!)

Since you're under warranty I would stick to oils that carry LL-17 approval regardless of brand. Just find the one that's most easily available and/or best priced and change it regularly. Being a 3-yr old car, I'd definitely flush the brake fluid. New wipers wouldn't hurt, and tire rotation & balancing will have it feeling like it's on rails.

There's great debate on what proper tire pressures are or should be; I've found 36psi all around is the perfect balance for handling and comfort, especially if it's mainly 2 people and light luggage at most.

Other than than, enjoy it and consider perusing the X3 dedicated forums like https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=666
The LL-17 approval will put you with a 0w20 oil. There are some excellent ones, just make sure you don't put any-old-0w20 in there, get one with the correct approvals if you want to be positive you are getting something that can take the longer oil change intervals that BMW has on this engine. Also, perhaps not go quite as long as BMW intervals state you can go, especially if you intend to keep the car a long time.

Thanks MCompact! I never thought about windshield washer fluid until now. I will make sure to use the BMW stuff. I see they sell BMW OEM washer fluid concentrate on Amazon, and reviewers agree with you that only the real BMW stuff will work.
If you use a lot of fluid, you will be fine with Wal-Mart stuff. I use Supertech strictly, but I go through some 40 gallons a year.

If you use a lot of fluid, you will be fine with Wal-Mart stuff. I use Supertech strictly, but I go through some 40 gallons a year.
My wife only drives approx. 10k miles/year so she doesn't tend to use a lot of washer fluid. I'm going to stick with the BMW stuff. Amazon sells it in a concentrate.

Back