2015 Toyota Highlander V6 100k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do what most here said.
DO NOT FLUSH transmission fluid. Do drain and fill. Find reputable indy that will do drain and flush and change filter. My local Toyota will do flush (which they should not) and on top they use Valvoline Maxlife and not even Toyota WS fluid. So, I would not assume that your local dealership knows best (dealership close to me could not figured out whether transmission has filter or not).
If it is AWD, change transfer case fluid and change rear diff. fluid. I did on my Sienna using Redline 75W85 in both, while in transmission I used Toyota WS fluid. Now, I did it at 64k, and that fluid was by far visually the worst transmission fluid I have ever seen coming out from any transmission. Of course, that does not mean it is done (as some UOA here will prove) but I would definiately do it. Also, you might consider to do drain and fill twice just to make sure you refresh as much as possible.
Definiately coolant. I am at 64k, 4yrs and my SLLC was at -10f when I measured few weeks back. I did just refresh leaving it for next spring to flush it.
Brake fluid in my vocabulary should be changed every two years regardless of mileage.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Do what most here said. DO NOT FLUSH transmission fluid. Do drain and fill. Find reputable indy that will do drain and flush and change filter. ...

Definitely this. The filter is loaded at 100K. When Kwik Kar pulled the filter off my '05 Sport Trac at 90K, I couldn't believe fluid was still passing through it. It may not have been.

If it were mine, all fluids would be replaced, but trans should be at the top of the list.

Get the brakes inspected. Don't wait until you start hearing wear sensors.

Originally Posted by RN89
Hello Bitogers, I'm needing some quality advice on what I need to do. Our 2015 V6 Toyota Highlander just turned 100,000 miles.
Remember you are writing in to an OCD oil forum. Like I said in my post above, Toyota Maintenance Schedules are from the people who know what they are doing.
Don't do this based on fear and emotions, or dealership profit dreams.

Originally Posted by paoester
Hello Bitogers, I'm needing some quality advice on what I need to do. Our 2015 V6 Toyota Highlander just turned 100,000 miles.
Remember you are writing in to an OCD oil forum. Like I said in my post above, Toyota Maintenance Schedules are from the people who know what they are doing.

You mean like when Toyota says their ATF is a lifetime fluid. Really??? C'mon, you don't really believe their is such a thing as "lifetime" fluid. Do you?
grin2.gif

One money-saving tip: You won't need to change the power steering fluid because there isn't any---it's an electric system.

Regardless of the "lifetime fluid" nonsense that the dealer may spew, do a pan drop, and filter and fluid replacement on the transmission; no "flush". In Texas, I'd assume that the body won't rot with rust, and the engine and transmission are the long-term points of failure. Taking care of these components now will extend their service life, and delay the need for another $35K "investment" in another car. Your transmission is likely one that does not have a dipstick, so it's probably best to leave this task to skilled labor at a local indie that you trust; dealers are way overpriced because they have a lot of nice overhead that they need someone to pay for.

A brake fluid flush can wait until you need brake work, but do it then. If your '15 Highlander gets driven like my wife's '11, you probably have another 20K before you'll need front brake pads. Replacing the brake fluid then will likely save calipers and the ABS system from moisture-caused damage (brake fluid absorbs water out of the air over time).

I'd drain and fill the coolant now, but you could wait until the time/mileage the manual states (150K for the first coolant change)..

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
If you've been doing your 30k 60K 90K maintenance and you don't have time just take it in at the next service interval.

+1

OP..unless there's something going on like a leak or what not, shut out the noise from FB and even the dealership. Follow the owners manual, they built the darn thing. This will give you the best chances of getting the most out of the vehicle....

+1

Your Highlander is not a high maintenance vehicle. Just follow the owner's manual. With regard to transmission fluid, as long as you're not towing or doing a lot of idling, the transmission fluid is likely fine. BUT if you feel the need to change it, do a basic change (dealership) at 120k miles when the spark plugs are scheduled to be changed. BTW, don't be surprised if the spark plugs look like they could have gone another 50k miles..... Good luck.

Originally Posted by dtownfb
Your Highlander is not a high maintenance vehicle. Just follow the owner's manual. With regard to transmission fluid, as long as you're not towing or doing a lot of idling, the transmission fluid is likely fine. BUT if you feel the need to change it, do a basic change (dealership) at 120k miles when the spark plugs are scheduled to be changed. BTW, don't be surprised if the spark plugs look like they could have gone another 50k miles..... Good luck.

Finally, somebody with some common sense on here.
A person does need to judge Severe Service though.

Originally Posted by Gebo
You mean like when Toyota says their ATF is a lifetime fluid. Really??? C'mon, you don't really believe their is such a thing as "lifetime" fluid. Do you?
grin2.gif

Makes me nervous too. I'd change auto tranny fluid at 150,000 miles just to be sure. Again, hot driving means you change it every 60k miles, as Toy recommends.

If you are "Driving while towing, using a car-top carrier, or heavy vehicle loading" you are supposed to change the automatic transmission fluid every 60,000 miles.
30,000 miles for all transfer case and both differentials, it is all in the PDF file I referenced above.

I'm paranoid about brake fluid too. Get that changed at 100,000 miles or so to be sure its good.

Toyota as other manufacturers claim that fluid is lifetime. Aisin, ZF etc. would claim differently. Actually, ZF specifically says 60-75k drain and fill and absolutely NO FLUSH.

Originally Posted by dtownfb
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
If you've been doing your 30k 60K 90K maintenance and you don't have time just take it in at the next service interval.

+1

OP..unless there's something going on like a leak or what not, shut out the noise from FB and even the dealership. Follow the owners manual, they built the darn thing. This will give you the best chances of getting the most out of the vehicle....

+1

My local Toyota dealership will do flush with Maxlife. Flush of course was no starter for me.
On that note, my father in law did flush at Lexus dealer at 115k and transmission failed two weeks later on his ES. So, I would not be that confident in dealership magic.

Last edited:

I am one of those OCD service types.
And my cars last a looong time and are safe.

You will be stunned at the rear differential fluid. We have a 2018 Highlander ... I changed the rear diff fluid at 10,000 miles ... the fluid was jet black and the magnet was full of "fuzz". I changed the transfer case as well ... it was not bad at all and could have waited.
I'll start changing the rear diff fluid at 10,000 mile intervals (once a year) .... no big deal. Holds about one quart, and takes literally 10 minutes to do using a push type pump that fits on the diff lube container. I used Amsoil 75W90 myself.

If it were me .. once that rear diff was changed, I'd do it again at the next oil change. Post back when you do it .... I'll be shocked if you don't find the same situation ... except much worse due to the miles.

Thanks for all the info. From what I've gathered here the general consensus seems to be that I need to change all the fluids. My dad is a very "by the book" type of guy so he agrees with others to follow the Toyota maintenance schedule. He's done this with all of our cars growing up (mostly Chevy trucks, Tahoes) and never had any real issues. While solid advice, the reading i've been doing makes me a little nervous to leave these potentially worn fluids in the car. It's my wife's DD and like I said we have no immediate or even long term plans of replacing it (the Highlander). The few comments about transmission fluid failure after changing this late in the game scares me a little bit. Is this is a real fear or risk? Or very isolated?

OCI has been 7.5 - 10k miles using Mobil 1 0w-20 exclusively. I'm due now and will take it in very soon and I know they're going to throw all of the *you need to change this and this and this and this and this....* bs at me so I just want to be a marginally educated consumer in regard to this.

Again, thank you for all of the quality advice. So much better than even the owners forums.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. From what I've gathered here the general consensus seems to be that I need to change all the fluids. My dad is a very "by the book" type of guy so he agrees with others to follow the Toyota maintenance schedule. He's done this with all of our cars growing up (mostly Chevy trucks, Tahoes) and never had any real issues. While solid advice, the reading i've been doing makes me a little nervous to leave these potentially worn fluids in the car. It's my wife's DD and like I said we have no immediate or even long term plans of replacing it (the Highlander). The few comments about transmission fluid failure after changing this late in the game scares me a little bit. Is this is a real fear or risk? Or very isolated?

OCI has been 7.5 - 10k miles using Mobil 1 0w-20 exclusively. I'm due now and will take it in very soon and I know they're going to throw all of the *you need to change this and this and this and this and this....* bs at me so I just want to be a marginally educated consumer in regard to this.

Again, thank you for all of the quality advice. So much better than even the owners forums.

Do not do flush! That is the key. Dealership will probably decline to do drain and fill, so find reputable Indy that knows what they doing. It is specific procedure to fill these type of transmissions after it was drained. Also, replace transmission filter and use strictly OE Toyota (Aisin) filter and gasket.
It will not be a problem if you do it this way. If you do flush, pressure might release deposits accumulated in the transmission that might clog filter or some lines, mess up pressure etc.
As for other fluids, rear diff. and transfer case require 75W85 GL-5 fluid. Anything GL-5 in that grade or 75W90 will do. I personally went with Redline and vehicle did not explode.

Last edited:
It's only a flush when you add solvents, BG & others push that crap!

The machine itself just exchanges the fluid via the cooler line. Nothing inherently wrong with it & you're able to exchange close to 100% of the fluid.

I've exchanged ATF on hundreds of units via a machine without issue, Then change the sump filter, Clean the Magnet/s, & the bottom of the pan.

The cooler circuit naturally has pressure, And that's what you see on the machine pressure & flow gauges.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
It's only a flush when you add solvents, BG & others push that crap!

The machine itself just exchanges the fluid via the cooler line. Nothing inherently wrong with it & you're able to exchange close to 100% of the fluid.

I've exchanged ATF on hundreds of units via a machine without issue, Then change the sump filter, Clean the Magnet/s, & the bottom of the pan.

The cooler circuit naturally has pressure, And that's what you see on the machine pressure & flow gauges.

Is that why ZF and others are saying no flush whatsoever?
Sure, not adding solvents etc. is safer, but let's say just exchanging fluid using machine is 100% safe, how does he know that dealer or whoever is actually doing exactly that?
And then we come to the fact that transmission manufacturers are not recommending anything involving machine flush, solvents or not.

I have learn a ton from the radio show, there website and them doing all my repair work.
Main lesson I learned is don't try what you did years ago, may create bigger problem.....

Originally Posted by Bebop367
I have learn a ton from the radio show, there website and them doing all my repair work.
Main lesson I learned is don't try what you did years ago, may create bigger problem.....

I would be ashamed to tell you how many problems I have created trying to save money in car repairs

Toyota dealer tried to sell me a "power back flush" of my transmission. I asked him to repeat that, then dropped a bit of BITOG wisdom, "transmission internal pump only runs in one direction".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back