Toyota Highlander expensive problem.

I'm wondering if there's a cowl on any production vehicle mice couldn't get under? I'd bet it's less than 2% of vehicles on the road.

Has any other shop done work under the cowl?
I don't think so. Mice can get into places that you would not imagine that they can get into.

Reactions: JTK
I don't understand why 8000 dollars. Is it hard to get at? I have done complete LS powered vehicles in my garage.

Last edited:
Somehow wipers got ahold of the main wiring harness. Toyota dealer says the main harness, wiper motor, and wiper wiring will need to be replaced.

Estimate is $8,000.........No evidence of critters chewing on stuff. Vehicle is a 2015 with 17,000 miles. Anyone hear of such a thing?
What's the saying ?

"Pics or it didn't happen"

I don't think so. Mice can get into places that you would not imagine that they can get into.

They don't seem to be able to get into either of my lazy cat's bellies.

I had to get some Victor electronic mouse traps to deal with that particular problem.

I've never seen any feral cats around my yard, otherwise, I'd feed 'em to keep them hanging around to deal with the mouse problem.

Instead of taking there word for it I would look to see if the wipers are a known problem on that vehicle .

Most cities have independent shops that do stereo system upgrades and alarm systems for vehicles. These kinds of shops have electronic technicians that can fix wiring. I would stop in at one of those and see if they can fix it for you.

Most cities have independent shops that do stereo system upgrades and alarm systems for vehicles. These kinds of shops have electronic technicians that can fix wiring. I would stop in at one of those and see if they can fix it for you.

Understanding and then properly diagnosing the circuit is the challenging part. A stereo shop is the last place I would look for a competent diagnostician.

Depending upon the level of damage, that may not require Diagnostics at all. That might be simply a matter of repairing wires that can easily be figured out or things were broken and where they reconnect to. If all the wires are the same color and many of them are severed in a way that you can't tell which end goes to which end then yes there will be Diagnostics involved. But if only a few wires are severed completely then it would probably be easy to fix without really getting into having to diagnose what those wires are doing.

And in that case that it's a simple repair a stereo shop would be one of the best places to take it to because those guys work on wiring systems all the time that are more complex than simply fixing a few wires.

Last edited:
Wherever you take it to be sure they're going to actually solder the new wiring sections in and then apply heat shrink over those connections. You don't want some shop that just splices wires together without soldering.

Wherever you take it to be sure they're going to actually solder the new wiring sections in and then apply heat shrink over those connections. You don't want some shop that just splices wires together without soldering.

Should use adhesive-lined heat shrink.

The crimp butt splice connectors with the adhesive-lined heat shrink work very well, too. I've had some of those in service for over 10 years now, no problem.

Back