2015 Nissan Sentra 🙈🤬

It's sad that 120 lb ft is deemed too much for any automotive transmission.

A big issue is Jatco/Nissan don't provide nearly adequate cooling for any of their CVTs. This burns up the fluid and diminishes the life of the transmission as well. Add in the weak design of a metal "belt" and conical pulleys and you have the absolute worst idea of a transmission. The design is fine for the Mirage or a golf cart. But put it in a 3000+lb car, especially one with 250+hp (Altima, Maxima 3.5s, Pathfinder) and you have to wonder what Nissan was thinking.
Yeah it's good that they beefed up the torque spec now but what they need to do is encourage maintenance and maybe add coolers from the factory. The stupid little dinky filters are not easy to get to and are ridiculously expensive compared to a spin on trans cans some transmissions have. Some automatics use an engine oil filter. Having a drain bolt and a sideways fill bolt that can be accessed from the engine bay with a flexible funnel to refill along with a spin on can from outside would be a godsend. I'd change the fluid every 20k and never complain.

It's sad that 120 lb ft is deemed too much for any automotive transmission.

A big issue is Jatco/Nissan don't provide nearly adequate cooling for any of their CVTs. This burns up the fluid and diminishes the life of the transmission as well. Add in the weak design of a metal "belt" and conical pulleys and you have the absolute worst idea of a transmission. The design is fine for the Mirage or a golf cart. But put it in a 3000+lb car, especially one with 250+hp (Altima, Maxima 3.5s, Pathfinder) and you have to wonder what Nissan was thinking.
Can you add a cooler?

Can you add a cooler?

The coolers I've seen from the factory are either a small cube or shaped like a coke can. You should be able to add a bigger cooler in line, as long as you can find a place to mount it.

It'll need to be pretty big to make a difference. I've heard those CVTs run close to 300 degrees in the heat of the summer.

I had 2 with no problems, but I changed the fluid to keep them alive. I’m looking at my possible third. I don’t shy away from them, but I am also a gentle driver.

Well you really lucked out. Everyone says you have to buy a new one from the dealer because no-one re-manufactures Nissan CVTs. See the comments from 3:30 to 6:45 of this video. It's current too - March 17, 2022.
How is the transmission working? How many miles on it? Any warranty?
Dealer quoted it out to me at $2200 with a $750 core charge. Should be 1/12K warranty?

6CC6DE31-B840-4A88-8D3C-139B77BE3E9A.jpg

My cousin lives 3 hours away but wants me to look at private sale used 2015 SV model with 55k original miles for purchase in my city. I've got half a mind to just tell him to forget it because of the known CVT issues. He likes it because it's just a husband and wife who have been driving it and the miles are low for the model year.
Does the car have a dipstick that can show telltale signs of impending tranny failure? Any other issues besides the CVT to look for like head gaskets?

There is a tube with a removable cap up top and a drain plug on the pan that allows for easy fluid servicing. The blue dyed NS-3 CVT fluid will look dark green to black-ish at 55K miles. Color doesn't necessarily mean anything. If there was particles in the fluid, the vehicle is already going to have driveability problems. Nissans will store a "judder" code that won't light the check engine light, but will be stored. If that code is present the trans isn't long for this world.

Nissan engines tend to be great. IMO, less problematic than most. As vehicles, they generally handle well, drive nice and have good seating comfort.

The bodies, chassis and drivetrain tend to get eaten up in the rust belt unless you're really on top of rust proofing treatments. They fare better in non rust belt climates (what doesn't though).

We've talked about it in other Nissan threads often, but pre-COVID, Nissans have a tendency to have been pushed to a demographic who drives the heck out of them with little/no maintenance having been done. Not all of course. I used to like buying slightly used Nissans because they were cheap. Not so much anymore.

As much as I don't mind Nissans, I would only go for this year range Sentra if it was a heck of a deal. Like said, a replacement CVT parts and labor will run you about ~$4500 today. The Versa and Sentra CVT up to ~2017 seem to be the worst.

Back