2015 Chevy Spark cruise control error code

My wife has a 2015 Chevy Spark which has a check engine light for a cruise control error. I don't remember the error number, but the car doesn't even have cruise control. How can this be possible? I've cleared the code with my scanner but it comes back on the next time the car is started. Any clues.

Cobalts have cylinder #5 codes on a 4-cylinder engine :D

Anyway, I'd guess it's a problem with the throttle/drive by wire system. I know that cable throttles with cruise control have a separate cable for the cruise control to work, so whatever the equivalent to that is in a DBW :unsure:

Anyway, I'd guess it's a problem with the throttle/drive by wire system. I know that cable throttles with cruise control have a separate cable for the cruise control to work, so whatever the equivalent to that is in a DBW :unsure:
I'd second an issue with the DBW system. It's just a software option that's enabled and a few extra buttons on the steering wheel.

My Jeep has lit up the ABS light a time or two even though it's never had ABS

hmm I’ve been active and dealing with Cobalts since darn near their inception and I’ve never heard of or experienced this one. I would be interested in seeing this one myself. The only unexplainable codes I’ve dealt with on cobalts are:

camshaft position codes on engines with the ICM cassette system without a camshaft position sensor. It’s often the crank position sensor that’s bad or the timing system is worn out.

Random misfire codes but the engine isn’t misfiring. GM addressed with a software update and labeled them as ghost codes.

Random misfire codes and specific cylinder misfire codes related to a worn out upstream oxygen sensor.

And also lean fuel trim codes due to wiring issues to the pcm. Also addressed with a TSB.

Other than that most codes on the delta body platform are self explanatory or not unusual.

Last edited:
My wife has a 2015 Chevy Spark which has a check engine light for a cruise control error. I don't remember the error number, but the car doesn't even have cruise control. How can this be possible? I've cleared the code with my scanner but it comes back on the next time the car is started. Any clues.
I suspect you have an electrical issue. Check your battery for corrosion/acid leakage. Also test the battery. Then check the vehicle grounds for corrosion. GM vehicles are notorious for exhibiting weird behavior when there is a battery, charging, or ground issue.

If all those check out it’s possible you have a wheel speed sensor going bad or has corrosion on the electrical connection.

hmm I’ve been active and dealing with Cobalts since darn near their inception and I’ve never heard of or experienced this one. I would be interested in seeing this one myself. The only unexplainable codes I’ve dealt with on cobalts are:

camshaft position codes on engines with the ICM cassette system without a camshaft position sensor. It’s often the crank position sensor that’s bad or the timing system is worn out.

Random misfire codes but the engine isn’t misfiring. GM addressed with a software update and labeled them as ghost codes.

Random misfire codes and specific cylinder misfire codes related to a worn out upstream oxygen sensor.

And also lean fuel trim codes due to wiring issues to the pcm. Also addressed with a TSB.

Other than that most codes on the delta body platform are self explanatory or not unusual.

I thought the ICM cassette was the camshaft position sensor, or that the ICM incorporates the CMP's functions :unsure:

Here is the Cobalt cylinder 5 misfire

I thought the ICM cassette was the camshaft position sensor, or that the ICM incorporates the CMP's functions :unsure:

Here is the Cobalt cylinder 5 misfire
The ICM incorporates the camshaft position sensor function, yes. Problem with the ICM since it doesn’t use an actual sensor to monitor cam position (it senses position based on spark timing calculations), if there is slack in the timing chain components these Ecotecs with the ICM often through a camshaft position code rather than a timing code. The coil on plug versions rectified this problem.

I read the link you provided. It’s the only reference to a cylinder 5 misfire I can find on Chevy Cobalts, and I’ve never seen or heard of it in any of my social circles. Majority of the SS Cobalts are on some sort of aftermarket tune or other bolt on parts. I wonder if that’s what caused that cylinder 5 misfire.

I suspect you have an electrical issue. Check your battery for corrosion/acid leakage. Also test the battery. Then check the vehicle grounds for corrosion. GM vehicles are notorious for exhibiting weird behavior when there is a battery, charging, or ground issue.

If all those check out it’s possible you have a wheel speed sensor going bad or has corrosion on the electrical connection.
I've replaced the battery since this code appeared. The bad thing is that they Chevy dealer in town closed down last year and it is 70 miles to the nearest dealer.
Since the car doesn't have cruse control installed, I think I'll just live with it for now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Could it be there is a plug for the cruise control option and that had some dirt or moisture setting the code? Also if you find this you'd want to follow the wiring just to see if there is any areas where it has contact points that could be worn through a wire. My thought is the wire harness is complete for all the options though some options like cruise control may not be installed. I am not familiar with Chevy Sparks and have limits on OBD2 diagnostics, hence any disclaimer necessary.

Back