Camshaft and crankshaft sensors

Lots of people (including me) are led to believe wrong then. I thought you could buy a code reader scanner, read the code, look it up, then replace what it said without having to pay a professional high $
You don't have to pay a professional. A lot of "professionals aren't as well versed in diagnosis as they would have you believe.

However the code is not something that says "part X failed". It will give you a bit of information -such as "P0022 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 2)" So that could mean the sensor isn't reading right, or the timing is retarded for another reason - as mentioned.

From there you might look at things like fuel trims or ignition timing - which might offer more clues.

It takes some learning. Or you can post the code and lots of more experienced people are usually happy to help out.

Sometimes that works, sure, but a lot of the time it doesn't. A scan tool will point someone in the right direction but it's not as simple as point and shoot.
But when scanned and sensors that the scanner said was the problem are replaced, why can't I clear the codes? Wouldnt this be what the "professional" would have to go by to diagnos the problem Sorry for not fully understanding.

But when scanned and sensors that the scanner said was the problem are replaced, why can't I clear the codes? Wouldnt this be what the "professional" would have to go by to diagnos the problem Sorry for not fully understanding.
The code came back because the problem - or a new problem - was detected again. So a problem of some type still exists. You need to scan the codes and post them. Make sure you get both current and pending codes.

You can’t clear the codes? Do you have a scanner now? If so, what codes can’t you clear?

Because the problem wasn't the sensors, the problem is deeper than that. By just replacing the sensors you are treating the symptom and not the disease.

You don't have to pay a professional. A lot of "professionals aren't as well versed in diagnosis as they would have you believe.

However the code is not something that says "part X failed". It will give you a bit of information -such as "P0022 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 2)" So that could mean the sensor isn't reading right, or the timing is retarded for another reason - as mentioned.

From there you might look at things like fuel trims or ignition timing - which might offer more clues.

It takes some learning. Or you can post the code and lots of more experienced people are usually happy to help out.
Thank you. I'll have the codes read again and post them when I do

Lots of people (including me) are led to believe wrong then. I thought you could buy a code reader scanner, read the code, look it up, then replace what it said without having to pay a professional high $
A scan tool does not diagnose a problem for you. It simply gives you clues where to look and then it’s the technicians job to perform the necessary diagnostics.

^^^ This.

What code. I think P0340 or something like that is the actual sensors. However P0021 or something on that range is VVT timing - which could be sensors, phasers, actuators or even lower oil pressure. Clean oil seems to sometimes help with the latter.
The fact that Lucas helped makes me wonder about oil pressure. Even with 5w20 it's going to be thicker than 5w30 once the Lucas is in there. Oil pressure is one of the common issues in these engines.

The fact that Lucas helped makes me wonder about oil pressure. Even with 5w20 it's going to be thicker than 5w30 once the Lucas is in there. Oil pressure is one of the common issues in these engines.
Thicker oil may help. I know on Nissans at least the actuators have a screen, and if the oil gets sludgy the screens can clog and the actuators don't work as well. So it could be thicker oil, or clean oil/detergents - or both.

However he says he still has codes - so it hasn't cured everything.

If it doesn't come back consider it fixed.

In the meantime buy a cheap code reader, or dongle and app, and learn how to use it - very easy, very cheap. For next time.
Torque pro on the phone and a cheap elm327 BT adaptor then he can check timing and other things that might lead to the cause of the issue. 185k miles is a lot for one of these engines, unless it was meticulously maintained.

Torque pro on the phone and a cheap elm327 BT adaptor then he can check timing and other things that might lead to the cause of the issue. 185k miles is a lot for one of these engines, unless it was meticulously maintained.
I have torque pro and its an awesome tool for the money. However if your not Android Savy its not really easy, so I tend to not recommend it up front. Also doesn't work on ios. I have 4 stroke on IOS, but its way more limited . However it gets most of what you need - it has all the logs and you can watch real time - just not extended PID's.

Your right on that engine. Its an OK, engine, but it is known for timing chain stretch, as already mentioned. Thats my guess of his problem, possibly agitated by additional things.

The scanner didn't say the sensor was the problem. We'll have to see the actual code but it was likely saying that there is a problem with what the sensor is seeing, being out of range or something like that.

I had someone pull the codes so I personally don't know. I just replaced what he told me to

The Cam & Crank Sensors might be the most reliable parts on 3V Modular engine, Outside of getting damaged physically....Can't recall replacing one.

We need the DTC's if you want real help. Needing all the timing component's, Phasers, & a high volume oil pump would be good news at 185,000.

another fine ford product the 3v 5.4. i was planning to buy one of these in 2004 when the new ford f150 came out but fate intervened and i had to buy a new truck in 2003. bought tundra instead of waiting for the new 2004 ford

This right here is the furthest thing from the truth. A scanner code is just someplace to start looking for a problem. It doesn't always point you to the exact problem.
Here is a perfect example when scanning a friends 2017 Ford F350. He had a code in the Steering column Control module for Invalid Data Received From ABS (Anti-Lock Brake System) Control Module A. He had three codes in the ABS control module. One for Control Module, One for Steering wheel position sensor, and one for the RR speed sensor.

Long story short, the RR speed sensor was bad and caused all of those other codes. Once the speed sensor was replaced and the codes cleared, all of the other codes were fixed as well. A lot of these modules and systems are interrelated and one problem can cause other fault codes to appear even if nothing is actually wrong with that system or module.

In this case, yes the scanner did point to what the problem was but if you would have started at one of these other codes first and didn't understand how all of these systems were related, you would have spent a lot more time diagnosing what was wrong than you needed to. Even though the speed sensor was the last thing on the trouble code list, I started there first because it was the easiest place to start and access and I knew that a malfunctioning speed sensor can cause codes in other modules.

In your case, it's highly unlikely that both sensors would have gone out at the same time so something else is probably causing these codes to be set.

Not sure. It's been a few weeks. But purchased at advance auto parts or auto zone so probably their store brand.
Did you save the originals? Even if the new ones are working fine now they are likely much more likely to fail in the future than the original ones.

Back