2015 Chevy Sonic used oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good buddy of mine has a black on black, fully loaded 2014 Sonic LTZ - leather and every option you can get.

1.4T and auto. Very, very peppy, good-handling car. I like it a lot, it handles much better than my Soul.

They seem like good cars, good luck with yours!

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
You evidently have a higher tolerance for price / pain , than I do .

Our dollar just took a beating over a few years, that's all, and the used truck market is iffy at best here.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: HondaRULZ
How do we know this isn't wasting oil as well however I like 5000 miles as a milestone though for conventional or semi-synthetic for sure!

Conventional is a no-no in the Cruze, and semi-syn Dexos1 is a big part of what hurt the car's reputation when it wouldn't last 10,000 miles and turbos started going out. After the OLM programming change for the '13 MY to about 7,500, plain old syn blend Dexos1 could at least stand a chance of getting the turbo to the end of the powertrain warranty.

Over 100,000 miles, the cost of 3K, vs. 5K, vs. 7.5K OCI's, with VSP and a Wix or OEM filter boils down thusly:
3K: $892
5K: $541
7.5: $352

Even the savings difference between 3K and 7,500 is at best half of the cost of a new turbo, but the ease and remember-ability of the 5K interval with the reasonable cost of Synpower suits me. If I was running, say, Amsoil it'd be a waste to dump it before 10K, but I'd only feel good about it if I was going to put that many miles on in less than about 6 months. A UOA is basically the same cost as an oil change, but there's been enough of them done on this car/engine that it's probably unecessary, and it's probably going to tell me 7,500 is a good interval which I won't disagree with in the first place. The thing's still in one happy piece at 99K and I can justify the (moderate, potential) waste of a 5K interval so I'll continue going by my gut and see how many miles it gets me.

When did GM switch from dino oil to Dexos ?

Our 2006 Buick Lacrosse CX 3.8l does not call for Dexos , although it does call for Dexron 6 . ( Our 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l automatic calls for both . )

Thanks , :)

2011? Dexos1 is just GM's spec requirements - plenty of syn blend and full syn oils that don't bare the certification still meet or substantially exceed the spec. In fact, I made the decision to use Synpower in the Cruze before it was Dexos certified - I think within a year it was, but the car's history indicates it wasn't a bad choice, regardless.

I literally just changed a MAP sensor on an '04 Lesabre with 279K on the clock - college student here from TN that got the car from his parents. Still runs like a top. The 3800 will go forever on 3-6K changes of any oil worth buying in the first place. I maintain three Buicks with the 3.8, with 185K, 220K, and 269K, and I doubt they ran any better when they had 40K on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back