2014 Honda CRV 2.4L - 11 mos/12.5k Miles - MS5K 5w-20

Disagree
I certainly don’t claim to be a lubrication expert but, if it were mine I wouldn’t be happy. Iron and lead are too high for my liking especially, with that amount of makeup oil. Your iron is at 4.18 ppm/1k miles. I don’t like to see more than 2 ppm/1k but, that’s just me. I don’t think that Mobil Super is designed for that long of an OCI.
on the designed for that many miles. Member CarbonSteel pushed MS5K way farther than anyone ever would in a F-150

OP: decent report, thank you for sharing

ALL -

The bitter interations and trolling is out of hand.
I've had to delete over a dozen posts.
KNOCK IT OFF!
We've dealt with the members who are creating problems.
Do not report any of the embedded post quotes.

Stick to the OPs UOA.

Disagree

on the designed for that many miles. Member CarbonSteel pushed MS5K way farther than anyone ever would in a F-150

OP: decent report, thank you for sharing
This generation of the CRV with the 2.4L was very prone to timing chain wear, far worse than the older K24’s….despite using the same timing parts. Not sure why.

The only notable change was the switch to 0W20…

The comments about high oil usage is quite odd to me. 2 quarts over 12,600 miles is fantastic IMO! This auto is getting close to 90k on it.

🤨 A quart of oil gone in 6,000 miles isn’t good. I don’t know why you think that’s acceptable. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sure some sports cars can burn a quart in 3,000 miles and most manufacturers don’t consider it a problem unless you’re burning a quart every 1,000 miles but even a quart every 6k points to a bad engine, IMO.

If the OP sells this car to your average Jane and she runs it AS IS until the maintenance reminder pops up @ 5% oil life, suggesting an oil change, this engine would come in with a DRY DIPSTICK and my shop would instantly raise a RED FLAG and inform the owner of a PROBLEM.

70% of cars that come into my shop are borderline low on oil after the typical 5-7k miles. The remaining have dry dipsticks because it’s down a quart OR MORE. nobody checks or adds oil. It’s a problem. 😤😠

The OP diluted his engine wear by two quarts of oil. The actual engine wear is far worse then the Lab report shows. 😳🫣

A quart of oil gone in 6,000 miles isn’t good. I don’t know why you think that’s acceptable.
Because
most manufacturers don’t consider it a problem unless you’re burning a quart every 1,000 mile
Most people on this forum check their oil and replenish as needed. The cost of fixing probably is more than most are willing to pay when they can just top it off for the rest of its life.
even a quart every 6k points to a bad engine, IMO.
The way you put that implies the only solution is to spend hundreds, if not thousands to make the engine "good". Most people just won't do that unless they care deeply about their car or they just don't know any better and do whatever the mechanic says regardless of cost.

I would imagine most cars with 1qt/6000 mi loss will drive as long as the owner wants the car. Personally, I think that is acceptable. But I respect your counter opinion.

This generation of the CRV with the 2.4L was very prone to timing chain wear, far worse than the older K24’s….despite using the same timing parts. Not sure why.

The only notable change was the switch to 0W20…
My 07 accord with a 2.4 had 386000 on it with original timing chain and no issues..

🤨 A quart of oil gone in 6,000 miles isn’t good. I don’t know why you think that’s acceptable. 🤦🏻‍♂️
One quart within a typical OCI is more than acceptable. OP just happened to run 12k miles, twice what a typical OCI would be, because that's what's convenient for them.
The OP diluted his engine wear by two quarts of oil. The actual engine wear is far worse then the Lab report shows. 😳🫣
You can't confidently say that without multiple UOA at different intervals on this same vehicle to set a baseline. It's been proven on over and over that a standalone UOA can not be used as a way to measure engine wear. You need to set a baseline and trends for the wear metals.

Sure some sports cars can burn a quart in 3,000 miles and most manufacturers don’t consider it a problem unless you’re burning a quart every 1,000 miles but even a quart every 6k points to a bad engine, IMO.

If the OP sells this car to your average Jane and she runs it AS IS until the maintenance reminder pops up @ 5% oil life, suggesting an oil change, this engine would come in with a DRY DIPSTICK and my shop would instantly raise a RED FLAG and inform the owner of a PROBLEM.

70% of cars that come into my shop are borderline low on oil after the typical 5-7k miles. The remaining have dry dipsticks because it’s down a quart OR MORE. nobody checks or adds oil. It’s a problem. 😤😠

I tend to agree on yoru point that many never check their oil ("You can do that?" - 18 y.o. neighbor) and run them until a change or a light comes on. So anythign taht consumes a quart over a normal interval while not a real issue, is an issue in that way. This engine may go "forever" at that consumption rate. I'd wager some engine flushing and additives would likely improve the situation.

This opinion of mine is what comes down to reasonable-ness. 6k & 1qt is reasonable. While none of us wish we had any oil consumption it's the nature of the beast of imperfect automobiles. A gradual burning of oil over the life of a vehicle is safe to assume.

If you've had better success then good for you but it most likely isn't a lot of peoples experience. If I lived in fear, such as your issue with this burning rate, I & lots of folks would trade in there good working vehicle's far too early.

My Eldorado burned 1qt every 1k at 50k all the way up to 95k when I sold it. Do I think that's exceptable rate no but I got another 45,000 miles out of it with the engine still running. According to you this engine would have been so bad it shouldn't have been able to leave the dealer's lot. (Engine toast)

It comes down to experience, expectations, & what engine you're running. Also, you should know that min/max allows for about 1 quart of oil so there should still be oil on the dipstick in the OP situation. Continuously running a vehicle low on oil causes more issue's than 1qt/6k. OP is not allowing it to go dry so this is a moot point.

Your example of dry dipsticks over the OEM ODI is an easy solution. Every manual I've ever come across about an engine says "Check Oil Level". It's increasingly more important that the OEM's are scheduling longer intervals.

Why don't you share with us what the acceptable burn rate is? Is this a standard everyone should follow? Is your answer when the owner should trade in their ride? If only most of us lived in a temperate flat land perhaps we would burn less oil like you?

🤨 A quart of oil gone in 6,000 miles points to a bad engine.

The way you put that implies the only solution is to spend hundreds, if not thousands to make the engine "good". Most people just won't do that unless they care deeply about their car or they just don't know any better and do whatever the mechanic says regardless of cost.

There’s nothing to fix if the engine came outta the factory ready to eat oil for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

It either has a defect or a bad design or is worn out 🤷🏻‍♂️

A good engine should not burn oil. Period.
Performance engines are in a different category and don’t apply here. Those can burn whatever amount of oil they want by design (again, unless there’s a defect and it burns excessive oil)

I service hundreds of cars each month. Far too many come in with a dry dipstick in only 5,000 miles and not even 100k miles on the clock.

In my humble opinion… your average daily grocery getter shouldn’t need to have its hood opened and oil added every time you’re pumping gas. That’s absurd.

You can't confidently say that without multiple UOA at different intervals on this same vehicle to set a baseline. It's been proven on over and over that a standalone UOA can not be used as a way to measure engine wear. You need to set a baseline and trends for the wear metals.

I can… if 4 Liters of oil contains 100ppm of fairy dust and you add 2 more Liters and take a sample, you’re going to get different results. You’ve just diluted the oil BY HALF!!!!

If the OP magically manages to keep all 4 Liters of oil inside his engine for the duration of 12k miles and sample THAT…. I’m willing to bet my entire stash of oil that the Lab Results will be SCARY. 🤷🏻‍♂️

A good engine should not burn oil. Period.
Vehicles burn oil whether the owners or technicians who work on them notice or not. Take your PCV hose off and it's there's any residue in there, which there will be, your vehicle burns oil. And that's just one example of a way oil gets burned off.
In my humble opinion… your average daily grocery getter shouldn’t need to have its hood opened and oil added every time you’re pumping gas. That’s absurd.
Your humble opinion is wrong. Not only is a quart every 6k miles far from "every time you're pumping gas", but it's almost like you're advocating for no one to check their oil level period, which is a dangerous narrative. There's a certain level of responsibility that goes along with owning a vehicle, including basic inspection and maintenance.
I can… if 4 Liters of oil contains 100ppm of fairy dust and you add 2 more Liters and take a sample, you’re going to get different results. You’ve just diluted the oil BY HALF!!!!

If the OP magically manages to keep all 4 Liters of oil inside his engine for the duration of 12k miles and sample THAT…. I’m willing to bet my entire stash of oil that the Lab Results will be SCARY. 🤷🏻‍♂️
You've completely missed the point. No one is claiming oil doesn't get diluted when you top off. The issue is you have no idea why the engine is burning oil or if it's been that way since it's been driven off the lot, same story with the wear metals. You can't go off a single UOA and say the engine is bad, worn, or has a defect. You just don't have enough information to make assumptions about the engine. I'll repeat myself and say it's been proven over and over that standalone UOAs are not to be used as evidence of engine wear.

I service hundreds of cars each month. Far too many come in with a dry dipstick in only 5,000 miles and not even 100k miles on the clock.

First off... This is NOT the case with OP Honda. OP has oil on the dipstick every 5k period & never ran "Dry". They are most likely at the Min fill line at 6k. That is not a dry dipstick at the point & is at a safe level.

You stating right there that essentially, far too many, meaning quite a lot or most even. Then it's safe to assume it's reasonable to expect oil burning. You say it right in that statement. Oil burns in many vehicles as you say so it's reasonable to have to add oil & even 1qt/6k being in that category... "reasonable".

Shouldn't and Reality are 2 different things. We agree that cars "Shouldn't" in a perfect world but that is not reality.

All the evidence right in front of you of many cases of burning oil & you say it should never happen, engines toast, is not reality or reasonable.

Last edited:
First off... This is NOT the case with OP Honda. OP has oil on the dipstick every 5k period & never ran "Dry". They are most likely at the Min fill line at 6k. That is not a dry dipstick at the point & is at a safe level.

You stating right there that essentially, far too many, meaning quite a lot or most even. Then it's safe to assume it's reasonable to expect oil burning. You say it right in that statement. Oil burns in many vehicles as you say so it's reasonable to have to add oil & even 1qt/6k being in that category... "reasonable".

Shouldn't and Reality are 2 different things. We agree that cars "Shouldn't" in a perfect world but that is not reality.

All the evidence right in front of you of many cases of burning oil & you say it should never happen, engines toast, is not reality or reasonable.

I think you misunderstood.

If out of 100 vehicles, 10-15 have dry dipsticks because they burned MORE THEN a quart between service and requires the owners to take action, that’s a problem. Your average Joe doesn’t check or add oil. You shouldn’t NEED TOO if the engine is healthy. Period.

I get the feeling that you’ve never owned a vehicle where the oil level stays perfectly full, even as the car ages past 10 years old and 100k+ miles and you end up forgetting where the hood latch is, because you never NEED TOO open the hood to check anything. It’s all PERFECT. 😍

I think you misunderstood.

If out of 100 vehicles, 10-15 have dry dipsticks because they burned MORE THEN a quart between service and requires the owners to take action, that’s a problem. Your average Joe doesn’t check or add oil. You shouldn’t NEED TOO if the engine is healthy. Period.

I get the feeling that you’ve never owned a vehicle where the oil level stays perfectly full, even as the car ages past 10 years old and 100k+ miles and you end up forgetting where the hood latch is, because you never NEED TOO open the hood to check anything. It’s all PERFECT. 😍
Yeah.. more advocation for not checking oil level. Not really sure if I like where this thread is going.

Back