2014 Accord 4cyl using oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 36K Honda four doesn't have enough wear for that to be a factor.
My first thought would be the PCV system including the tubing with sticking rings due to excessively volatile oils being the next.
No oil should make any big difference in consumption.
Replace the PCV valve and make sure that the associated tubing is free of buildup.
If this brings no joy, then try a product intended to free sticky rings like Kreen, Rislone or Valvoline's magic coke dissolving oil, available for a mere $72.00/gallon.
After you get oil consumption under control, stick with a low NOACK oil, like any M1 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Not the first time I've read this when switching over to M1. I used to frequent the Accord forums and have read this several times and then some. Keep using M1 for a few intervals and consumption should level off. Who knows what oil the dealer was using prior to this. Keep us posted as it will be interesting to see what happens. My guess is just the difference in additives/chemistry/cleaning etc. that the oil is doing.

Yeah- My accord would consume some M-1 and PZ Plat between changes and staying with the brands for a few intervals, too. Castrol- not so much

Ordered new genuine PCV from Amazon, be delivered this week, in the mean time I removed the one in car, shook it and no rattling sound, tried cleaning it out still no sound. Just curious, how does this cause engine to use oil?

Update, put in new genuine Honda PCV topped off oil, put about 1500 miles on car and had to add 3/4 of a quart. OLM now at 30% will be changing soon, going to try 5-30 FS.

Just in case the problem doesn't resolve itself.

Honda has had a problem with the K24 engine dating back to 2003 or so. I have a 2003 version and don't have a problem, but 2003 was a bad year for excessive oil consumption. Some years were more problematic than others. Honda will say burning 1 liter/1000 miles of oil is normal. I wouldn't be happy with that on any engine. It seems that the problem is with the oil control rings. It is pretty well documented. I would contact the dealer with the problem. They will likely do an oil change and verify the level to monitor oil use.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2014/engine/excessive_oil_consumption.shtml

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mvent
Ordered new genuine PCV from Amazon, be delivered this week, in the mean time I removed the one in car, shook it and no rattling sound, tried cleaning it out still no sound. Just curious, how does this cause engine to use oil?

The PCV system in your car is designed to burn the blow by gasses that make it into the crankcase. When your car burns gasoline in the combustion chamber, some of the combustion gasses make it past the piston rings and into the crank case. Now, old cars had a pipe that went from higher in the crank case and just vented it to the atmosphere. This was called a draft pipe. When the car was moving, because of where the tube was located, the negative pressure from around the tube drew the gasses out of the crankcase. Venting combustion gasses to the atmosphere isn't cool, so manufacturers designed a system to reburn these gasses

The PCV valve has a little spring in it to resist high engine vacuum during idle, deceleration, and cruising. The spring is there to prevent too much oil vapor from being sucked up into the intake and burned. If the spring fails, the engine will suck up too much oil and oil vapor and cause a low oil problem. The spring can occasionally gum up and seize as well, but this is more rare because it's pretty well lubricated by the oil vapor.

When a PCV valve clogs, it can lead to a whole bunch of other problems. When it is clogged, there is no place for the pressure inside the crankcase to go. This usually leads to the blowing out of seals or dipsticks. This can be much more costly when a seal blows out, as you have to replace it, and it can lead to a sudden loss of large amounts of oil, rather than a slow consumption with a PCV valve that is stuck open.

I've had a 2005 Civic with the 1.7 L4, a 2010 Civic with the 1.8 L4, and now a 2016 Accord with the 2.4 L4. 250K on the Civics using Mobil 1 5-20 and 0w20 with virtually no makeup oil. 7K now on the Accord with no makeup oil. Something other than oil selection is going on with your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
My wife's accord has been dealer serviced since new, oil changed at 20% on OLM or sooner, seemed to go down very little between changes, last oil change around 36k miles I decided to do it myself, went with Mobil1. 0w-20 and Honda filter. Checked oil after close to 3k miles and 60% OLM and had to add 1.5 quarts. Is there a problem with these engines or just the way it is?
TIA

Odds are the dealer was using 5w30 and not telling you. Happens a-lot.
Use 5w30 and watch consumption drop noticeably.

Honda hasn’t had a car (other than the S2000) that specs a 30-weight oil for decades, so I doubt the dealer is using anything other than a xx-20.

OP, as others have said it does seem that switching a motor oil brand can cause short-term consumption issues. If you don’t want to stick it out with Mobil1 you could ask your dealer what oil they use and buy it off the shelf if you want to continue to DIY.

Fwiw, I have 2 K24Ws and neither consumes oil. In fact, being DI engines, both “create” it .

I'm no chemist or engineer but it baffles me how changing brands but using same viscosity would cause an engine with 40k miles to use oil. Can someone enlighten me?

I'm no chemist or engineer but it baffles me how changing brands but using same viscosity would cause an engine with 40k miles to use oil. Can someone enlighten me?

The Noak test is a measure of % mass loss at temp over time. Different oils of the same viscosity have a surprisingly wide range 6%-18% as seen in the testing of these oils.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/consolidated5w20ALL.html

If I had a car that used some oil but wanted to stay with a 20 dino oil, I might consider using PYB or Quaker State. They have low Noak numbers that rival the best synthetics of the grade.

Would the resultant change result in a 0% consumption of oil from using a quart of oil over 1K miles of another brand with a high Noak number? I doubt it, but it may help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
My k24 burns about a quart every 1k miles. Just top it off and itll run forever.

605K miles awesome! At this mileage 1 quart/1K miles is probably normal due to ring wear. Did you ever need to replace a catalytic converter?

Do you remember what your oil usage was at 36K miles?

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Dylan1303
Originally Posted By: Zee09
I would not use M1.
Most likely your issues will go away.

+1

Why? Why would M1 cause or exacerbate oil usage? Where is the link other than the typical piling-on on internet forums? If there is a reason, i'd be all ears...

Why pay attention to Tig or other 30+ Year (me) M1 users …
Never consume jack … but I only buy horrible vehicles too …

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
My k24 burns about a quart every 1k miles. Just top it off and itll run forever.

How many miles a week?

Run 30 weight in it and call it a day. Consumption will decrease some. When introduced the K24 used 30 weight oil or at least in my 04 TSX it did.

my 2003 K24A4 burns oil 1 liter every 2000 kms.
I am running mobil1 5w20 but thinking to switch to 0w20 this winter . lets see how it goes in terms of consumption and leakage...

Update, put in new genuine Honda PCV topped off oil, put about 1500 miles on car and had to add 3/4 of a quart. OLM now at 30% will be changing soon, going to try 5-30 FS.

I think it was smart to put a genuine Honda PCV in. The aftermarket PVCs look like junk. Don't know if they operate the same as OEM but have seen some aftermarket PCVs that crumble when removed.

Did the PVC that you remove look like the one in the video below. This one looks pretty gunked up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2Iz3sehFg

PVC didn't look bad for 40k miles, and new one didn't make much difference IMO. If I'm not mistaken pretty sure reading markets other than U.S. recommend 5w-30 for the earth dreams, so should be no prob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back