2014 6.0l 2500HD with 225k miles

Let’s assume I don’t want to do any of it myself (buying this for a bay home to use to tow boats with) what maintenance should I have done? Also don’t make fun of me here but I’ve never had a transmission serviced. Do regular oil change shops tend to do transmissions/diff fluid changes as well?

I would change all fluids and then see what the owners manual states for other maintenance services needed.

With those miles, and no service history,

spark plugs
plug wires and maybe even coils
throttle body cleaning
serpentine belt
coolant change
brake pads and rotors,
brake fluid change
transmission fluid and filter change
rear axle fluid change
shocks
sway bar bushings and end links
ball joints and control arm bushings
maybe wheel bearings

You're talking a couple thousand for a shop to do that.

Definitely have everything inspected by a trusted indy mechanic-you might find that most of the maintenance items are in decent shape. I know the vans can be hard on brakes, the rotors are on the thin side & rust prone-coated ones are worth every penny, front & rear. Especially on a truck that will see water regularly launching & pulling boats!

Definitely have everything inspected by a trusted indy mechanic-you might find that most of the maintenance items are in decent shape. I know the vans can be hard on brakes, the rotors are on the thin side & rust prone-coated ones are worth every penny, front & rear. Especially on a truck that will see water regularly launching & pulling boats!
Especially considering he was talking about a bay boat that may see salt water lanuches. Get the coated rotors.

With those miles, and no service history,

spark plugs
plug wires and maybe even coils
throttle body cleaning
serpentine belt
coolant change
brake pads and rotors,
brake fluid change
transmission fluid and filter change
rear axle fluid change
shocks
sway bar bushings and end links
ball joints and control arm bushings
maybe wheel bearings

You're talking a couple thousand for a shop to do that.
I dont know that there is any reason to do all that suspension and brake stuff. But the fluids should be baselined, and then wear items on the list replaced.

Can't imagine at 225K they would still be any good unless already replaced.
So far everything seems good. No leaks. Drives good, shifts smooth. I went ahead and bought it. $8700 for a single cab 4x4 WT with 4.10 gears. Seat is a little torn up but still comfortable. I probably won’t put 1k miles a year on it. It’s for a bay home where family and I go. Wanted something I could leave there for anyone that needed to tow or needed a truck in general.

Since it is going to be used so little and with a single basic purpose I would not do anything big at all to it. Leave the transmission alone but do a full oil change, air filter and differential fluids. Look at the brakes and if they are still good - leave it.

Back