2017 GMC Terrain with blown engine 51,000 miles

Speaking from personal experience and a few friends/family members - The Ford Duratec 2.5L NA engines are absolute tanks. I had one in a Fusion that went to 324,000 miles on 10,000 OCIs and burnt maybe 4oz of oil. I sent the car to the junkyard due to a transmission issue, and the engine still revved to the moon and back happily on the way there.

Related - The Mazda 2.5L Skyactiv-G engines are also known for being very reliable save for some MY 2020-2021 Turbo variants that had bad seals on the exhaust valves and burnt oil.
Some Ford petrol engines from the 00's were unbelievably robust.

Like the 1.25 fitted to the Fiesta or the 1.8 fitted to the Focus and Mondeo.

Even the chain driven 2.0 engine of the time was bulletproof, apart from the odd issue with the injectors.

Some Ford petrol engines from the 00's were unbelievably robust.

Like the 1.25 fitted to the Fiesta or the 1.8 fitted to the Focus and Mondeo.

Even the chain driven 2.0 engine of the time was bulletproof, apart from the odd issue with the injectors.
Wasn't the Vulcan 3.0L V6 also a remarkably tough powerplant? I seem to remember 90's and early 00's Taurus' just going absolutely forever with basic and sometimes completely lax maintenance.

Wasn't the Vulcan 3.0L V6 also a remarkably tough powerplant? I seem to remember 90's and early 00's Taurus' just going absolutely forever with basic and sometimes completely lax maintenance.
I don't think we got any vehicles with the 3.0 Vulcan, maybe in the Probe, but they were not very popular in the UK, we got the 2.5V6 and 3.0V6 Duratec though and they were both reliable in my experience.

They fitted them to the Jag S Type and X Type and the 3.0 was turbo charged and fitted to the Noble aswell.

Two more great Ford engines from the 00's

I don't think we got any vehicles with the 3.0 Vulcan, maybe in the Probe, but they were not very popular in the UK, we got the 2.5V6 and 3.0V6 Duratec though and they were both reliable in my experience.

They fitted them to the Jag S Type and X Type and the 3.0 was turbo charged and fitted to the Noble aswell.

Two more great Ford engines from the 00's
Ford certainly made some good engines back then.

Of course it's tough to know the full story on the vehicle, but the OP stated she got dealer documented oil changes done every 3000 miles or less.

Could it be possible it burned THAT much oil that it still smoked the engine with that oil change regimen?
Good point for sure. I was thinking that was miles when it was kilometers. If that were the case I agree the oil level probably would not be low enough to do that sort of damage. We don't know the whole story, to your point.

Reactions: JTK
Yeah, I don't know the whole story. I only know what I have heard through her, but even so you wouldn't expect a car to be burning any oil at only 50,000 miles or 82, 000 kilometers, in a 3000 mile OCI or 5000 kilometer OCI.

I don't know if it has a low oil level light, but by that point it would already be quite low I would assume.

I don't know if the block heater was working properly, & if it was regularly used when it was needed.
Maybe trying to cold start it when parked outside in -45 degree (ambient) weather caused timing chain to jump.
She was complaining that the battery was weak and wouldn't crank the vehicle, but even the battery had been replaced by the dealer.

My 2018 F 150 3.5 Ecoboost doesn't use enough to add before the 8000 kilometer OCI is up. I do pull the dipstick & check it occasionally though. I almost have 200,000 kilometers on it, & I have been sending oil samples for analysis to monitor for problems.

The 2.4 Ecotec was designed in that not so magical time when CAFE rules were really starting to ramp up, so GM was experimenting with thinner and less robust piston rings. Same issue many other manufacturers had during that time - Subaru comes to mind. I think there were others. Problem gets compounded because its DI so the oil burning carbons the valves even faster. Timing chain guides were another issue.

We don't really know the issue in this particular case, but its not a good engine either way.

That is unfortunate. I would say by 2017 I don't think these were dropping like flies like the earlier models were. My parents have a 2017 that just turned 100K miles and thankfully is running well.

I dunno, I'd argue there are plenty of engines that could easily go 51k miles in arctic temps with minimal maintenance.

As to whether those would be "modern" engines would depend upon your definition of modern I suppose.

Yes it was. I still see a good number of early 2000's Taurus' running around, you can bet most of them have the 3.0. My in law loves those things, he keeps buying minty ones and usually has at least two in his fleet.

Yes it was. I still see a good number of early 2000's Taurus' running around, you can bet most of them have the 3.0. My in law loves those things, he keeps buying minty ones and usually has at least two in his fleet.
they are all rusted out up here…..

Haven't read a single post on this thread, but I'm going to say this:

Machines break. Sometimes the finest steel handcrafted by master ninja sword makers breaks. Diamond can chip.

I don’t fully understand the problem and now the codes escape me, but I scanned a friend’s wife’s Chevy version. The engine is not shot just doesn’t run well, can’t pass emissions, and there are YouTubes speculating how to fix it with all solutions being over $3000. Car only had high 40’s. Some leak I believe. Maybe I’m making it up as it was around Thanksgiving. All I know is that if codes cleared, come back immediately.

Back