2009 Pontiac G8 Cammed

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Girlfriend has a 2009 Pontiac G8 ~ 140k miles
Factory calls for 5w-30 but she told me her mechanic has been putting in 5w-40.
It is hard to get 5w-40 in stores and i was wondering what oil weight would be closest to 5w-40 that i can buy in bulk and change her oil

Im assuming he drifted away from 5w-30 because the car is cammed and high milage.

so what would be more similar to 5w-40? Would it be 0w-40 or 10w-30 WE live in Midwest.
Winters can get to -32 F and summers around 100 F

Gallons of 5w-40 can be purchased at every Walmart, Auto Zone, Advance Auto, NAPA, and truck stop.

Look for Rotella T6.

Originally Posted By: Bulli

Hey there, any pictures to share?

Yup, Rotella T6 is the go-to easy to get 5W-40, and at that mileage is very appropriate
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Hey there, any pictures to share?

GF or the car?

j/k

It Is cammed and has a cat back exhaust and dyno tuned
Not sure about numbers but
~ 350- 400 whp sounds accurate to me

Interesting why the mechanic has been putting in 40w to being with. Doesnt hurt anything but definitely isn't required just because it has a cam on a modern LS.

Does it burn or leak oil? If so, I'd run a 5w30 HM full synth. If it doesn;t, try any 0w40.

When modifying internals with high lift cam lobes its not a bad idea to add a little extra protection. I would personally run 0-40 M1 over T6 but thats just my option. Always ran it in my LS6 swapped FD RX7 with positive analysis's. No need for anything crazy like 20-50, but a good 40 weight is all good in my book.

Amazon has Gallon jugs of Rotella T6 5w40 for $26.30 right now. If you do Subscribe & Save, then they're only $22.36 each.

Or you could hit up Home Depot. The one near me has some on the shelf for $21.36 a gallon.

Finally, Walmart.com has 2.5 gallon jugs listed for $53.18. This works out to $21.27 a gallon.

Originally Posted By: RationalRussian
When modifying internals with high lift cam lobes its not a bad idea to add a little extra protection. I would personally run 0-40 M1 over T6 but thats just my option. Always ran it in my LS6 swapped FD RX7 with positive analysis's. No need for anything crazy like 20-50, but a good 40 weight is all good in my book.

A high mileage 5w30 full synthetic HM oil should meet the requirement of the OP's climate and give a little help with the consumption hopefully. On any high strung engine that I have run, I've never increased viscosity because of a cam profile, the only reason i've done it is because of boost and heat management. Might help/ couldnt hurt however if you still want a high mileage oil to try and slow the burning, 5w30 is about as low as you can go for your application and if you want a 40 wt, youre stuck with full synth 10w40s.

High mileage 5w40s are hard to come by and only euro Maxlife come to mind if you want a 5w for winter and 40wt operating temp and high mileage additives. Then you still end up with a blend.

Originally Posted By: jayg
A high mileage 5w30 full synthetic HM oil should meet the requirement of the OP's climate and give a little help with the consumption hopefully. On any high strung engine that I have run, I've never increased viscosity because of a cam profile, the only reason i've done it is because of boost and heat management.

Pretty much agree there.

A cam (typically) takes away (some) low end torque, and therefore bearing load, and moves it up the curve, where revs are your friend with regard to oil film thickness.

yes it burns oil
seems like a quart or 2 every 3-4 k miles

Do you know if this engine uses a PCV valve or a fixed orifice?

If it has a PCV valve, replace the PCV valve and hoses with new OEM parts. This should lower oil consumption. I have also heard that GM made new valve covers for LS based engines which either reduce oil loss through the PCV valve, or they replace the PCV valve with a fixed orifice. You may need to go to forums that specialize in LS based engines to know more about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back