2004 Pontiac GP running on hot side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh the job is done? No it needs to be flushed to run the JD but there are no issues other than a shorter lifespan with the green.

Originally Posted By: clarkflower
All was fine yesterday and last night.... till I shut the AC off. Then got a bit hotter than normal. Then was fine when when I put it back on.

I think that you found the problem. If it isn't getting hot when the A/C is ON and it IS getting hot when the A/C is OFF, your cooling fans are not working properly.

Last edited:
Back in 2009, I bought a 2004 Monte Carlo SS Dale Jr. edition with the supercharged 3800. It had 87,000 miles on it and it had a leaking intake manifold gasket when I was looking at it. I was able to get the owner to reduce the price because of the leak and I had it fixed right after buying it. I also replaced the thermostat and radiator cap with Delco parts. I never had any temp issues the four years that I owned it.

Originally Posted By: wag123
Originally Posted By: clarkflower
All was fine yesterday and last night.... till I shut the AC off. Then got a bit hotter than normal. Then was fine when when I put it back on.

I think that you found the problem. If it isn't getting hot when the A/C is ON and it IS getting hot when the A/C is OFF, your cooling fans are not working properly.

The temp sensor turning the fans on is closing at too high a temperature. That would probably be an easy and cheap thing to try.

If it were my car I'd wire in a switch to manually turn the fans on in parallel with the temp sensor. On my grand national I disconnected the wire to the temp switch and jumped it to ground so the fans run all the time.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

The temp sensor turning the fans on is closing at too high a temperature. That would probably be an easy and cheap thing to try.

If it were my car I'd wire in a switch to manually turn the fans on in parallel with the temp sensor. On my grand national I disconnected the wire to the temp switch and jumped it to ground so the fans run all the time.

Bad advice.
If something is wrong with his fan operation, It should be repaired correctly....NOT hacked on!
If one does want to change the temps the fans come on, Tuning software is readily available.

After the LIM and water pump it still seemed hot went back and he said his machine sucked all the air out. Then he put his machine into something under the dash.

It said the water was 212 degrees 1 notch above 1/2. The fans were not on. As it rose to 226 (2nd notch above 1/2 but only 2 below red) the fans came on. That's the same temp as the pic that was posted in this thread.

That seems right by the numbers but seems odd that the fans only come on so close to the red. Confusing. Could the gauge on the dash be showing high? Could his reading be wrong?

Low Speed (Half Speed) operation should happen at 219....Cool the engine to 212 & shut back off.

High speed will happen at 228 (226 is really close).
Were BOTH fans running at full speed at 226? Visually check it!

Not to nitpick, But......Stop letting your car run that hot, The Tech should know to test fan operation with Bi-Directional controls via a Scan Tool!!!

Ill post the "turn-on" temps again as I hate having to go back 2 pages to reference them....
REFwUbj.png

Last edited:
Yes both fans were running. And they shut off on the way down at 212.

The temperature gage that he was using connected to the car was not showing the vehicle hot.
As I said, as it rose to hit 212, the fans were off. The dash gauge at 212 was already 1.5 notches above the halfway mark and only 2.5 notches below red.

According to his gauge the fans were doing what they were supposed to do. My question is should the gauge on the dashboard be only two notches below hot when the fans kick in at the proper temp. Could the dashboard gauges be off at his temperature thing be off although with corresponded with the camps in the manual

Last edited:
Yes. The gauge could be off! GM has had issues since they stepped away from "analog resistive" instruments in favor of digital/frequency stepper motors.

Being just a little off repeatably? Is not a normal/pattern failure mode for the stepper motor. They usually act very erratic.

If the cluster was repaired in the past....The pointer may have been installed incorrectly.

I guess a better way to ask is what in 1/2 on the gauge suppose to indicate in temperature.
What is 3/4 where the red starts.

The gauge is very consistent. AC off in hot weather the gauge gets only 2 marks down from the red between 1/2 and 3/4. Temp reads 220ish on the techs tool. Fans come on and it goes down. Just seems odd to me that I am so close to the red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back