Camry misfires and CEL P0301

My sister and brother-in-law were going to Texas today. So, I told them I'd drop them off at O'hare airport. Their flight was for 7 am ~. I was doing maybe 85 MPH on I-90 in the Camry and all of a sudden the car started to shake badly and the CEL started flashing. I let go of the accelerator thinking maybe the trans went out or something. I pulled over to the shoulder, popped the car in neutral, and let it drive itself down to 20 MPH. Popped it back in drive and slightly gave it acceleration and everything was fine. CEL magically disappeared.

Got to the airport and checked all fluids just to make sure. Trans fluid is slightly red so that's fresh. Oil is full. On my way home. Doing maybe 65 MPH on I-90 and boom CEL comes back on. This time I let go of the accelerator ASAP. Got home and scanned the CEL. Popped up P0301 code for cylinder 1 misfire. I did the VCG and put new NGK plugs in about 2~ months ago. Could a bad coil pack cause the misfire code?

Last edited:
That doesn't look right. I did put a bottle of Lucas gas treatment when I filled up Friday
17041148472187084402439926947346.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This was your wildest experience ? :oops:
That’s what I was thinking…if your wildest experience is a CEL…you’ve led a pretty sheltered life…

Look, @mosaud1998 - you need to pull the coil on cylinder 1, and check that plug and coil. Looking at it from the outside means nothing. Take a good look at the wiring going to the coil itself, a broken/cracked wire, or failed insulation on the wiring to the coil.

That’s what I was thinking…if your wildest experience is a CEL…you’ve led a pretty sheltered life…

Look, @mosaud1998 - you need to pull the coil on cylinder 1, and check that plug and coil. Looking at it from the outside means nothing. Take a good look at the wiring going to the coil itself, a broken/cracked wire, or failed insulation on the wiring to the coil.
I switched the coil pack from cylinder one to cylinder 2. Started the car waiting to see if thr CEL comes back on

Heavy loads stress coil packs. Your lucky your issue was intermittant.

My 02 Camry blew a coil pack when I was gunning it out of a toll booth. Sadly, it didn't recover when I let off the gas. Happily, a generic $12 unit fixed it right up. But do buy genuine Denso for best results.

I just drove the car hard. Kinda floored it (went up to 55 MPH and 4000 RPM) and no CEL came on with coil pack 1 switched over to cylinder 2 and cylinder 2 coil pack to cylinder 1. Not sure how long it takes for a CEL to come back on

Last edited:
Where did you get the NGK's? Seem to be a good bit of NGK counterfeiting these days. Might try some dealer Denso's if it's not a coil pack.

That was my thought. And OP, get out and live a little!

Back