2015 rav 4 atf fluid change from cooler line, tips and tricks?

hey all! i am finally gonna change the atf in my 2015 rav 4 with the u760 tranny (similar to the u660)
i watched some youtube videos and feel like i have a decent plan.

here are the tools i gathered/gathering, lmk if i need anything else

1. meat thermometer to see the temp of the fluid when its flowing out for final level check
2. ir thermometer to aim at the sides to see when the fluid is hot enough for level check
3. 3 gallons of fluid to do the full flush
4. toyota oem tranny filter, gasket, filter o ring, maybe a few new magnets? i think i can reuse drain plug or am i wrong?
5. 3/8 id tubing to connect to the tranny cooler to dump out old fluid, i wanted a video and the guy said it was 3/8 id so i hope that is true - any way for me to check what that tranny cooler line size is?
6. battery fluid pump to pump the fluid into the fill hole, i hope my battery pump tube fits into the fill hole
7. level to make sure tranny pan is level for fluid check
8. obvs tools and jacks
9. buckets with fill levels so i can see how much has been dumped etc

anything else i need to make this easier or move smooth sailing?

hope i didnt forget anything

thx

hey all! i am finally gonna change the atf in my 2015 rav 4 with the u760 tranny (similar to the u660)
i watched some youtube videos and feel like i have a decent plan.

here are the tools i gathered/gathering, lmk if i need anything else

1. meat thermometer to see the temp of the fluid when its flowing out for final level check
2. ir thermometer to aim at the sides to see when the fluid is hot enough for level check
3. 3 gallons of fluid to do the full flush
4. toyota oem tranny filter, gasket, filter o ring, maybe a few new magnets? i think i can reuse drain plug or am i wrong?
5. 3/8 id tubing to connect to the tranny cooler to dump out old fluid, i wanted a video and the guy said it was 3/8 id so i hope that is true - any way for me to check what that tranny cooler line size is?
6. battery fluid pump to pump the fluid into the fill hole, i hope my battery pump tube fits into the fill hole
7. level to make sure tranny pan is level for fluid check
8. obvs tools and jacks
9. buckets with fill levels so i can see how much has been dumped etc

anything else i need to make this easier or move smooth sailing?

hope i didnt forget anything

thx
What fluid will you be changing it with?

Valvoline makes it too.

I wouldn't use it in anything.
From a chemistry point of view, that wouldn't have been an easy task to formulate that. My biggest question is: Is both CVT and ATF performance sacrificed to be compatible with both? I recommend find some dedicated synthetic ATF fluid, there is quite a bit that is fully compatible with WS

From a chemistry point of view, that wouldn't have been an easy task to formulate that. My biggest question is: Is both CVT and ATF performance sacrificed to be compatible with both? I recommend find some dedicated synthetic ATF fluid, there is quite a bit that is fully compatible with WS

Right, that's what bothers me about this. I don't want to get too deep into it in this thread as it's not really on topic, but while I used to like, use, and recommend Maxlife ATF, now that it's both ATF and CVT fluid I would not touch it with a Suburban-sized pole or put it in anything I cared about.

There are simply too many compromises and what-ifs on ATF/CVT universal fluid to warrant using it when there are other, similarly priced alternatives readily available at any auto parts store or the dealer or the internet.

I think OP would be better off just doing a drain and fill with a correct, suitable, ATF, than putting all the time and effort into flushing this transmission out with this iffy fluid.

I have always just done a drain and fill at 60K, then another every 30K after that. Had cars go over 200K with that plan (typically have sold them at that point and they still run fine,) so gonna stick with it. Kia Rio in signature coming onto 150K and tranny is fine.

Right, that's what bothers me about this. I don't want to get too deep into it in this thread as it's not really on topic, but while I used to like, use, and recommend Maxlife ATF, now that it's both ATF and CVT fluid I would not touch it with a Suburban-sized pole or put it in anything I cared about.

There are simply too many compromises and what-ifs on ATF/CVT universal fluid to warrant using it when there are other, similarly priced alternatives readily available at any auto parts store or the dealer or the internet.

I think OP would be better off just doing a drain and fill with a correct, suitable, ATF, than putting all the time and effort into flushing this transmission out with this iffy fluid.
In my older 2009 prius I did very frequent toyota WS drain and fills, then Amsoil SS fuel efficient ATF when it was deemed compatible, and have been using it ever sense.

Last edited:
In my older 2009 prius I did very frequent toyota WS drain and fills, then Amsoil SS low fuel efficient ATF when it was deemed compatible, and have been using it ever sense.
Just asking here, if the Amsoil was deemed compatible, why would there be a problem using the Castrol atf/cvt fluid it it is deemed compatible?

ty for the feedback but it seems like alton made a additive that is reenginereed that can make these fluids work. i know its new and i would be better off with valvoline maxlife atf but i want to go a tad thicker for shudder protection and seems like this castrol is recommended for just that. i also cycled thru other forums and reviews and seems like this fluid is working fine! i appreciate the feedback however but maybe this is a case of fluids in the future being compatible with alot of applications?

Just asking here, if the Amsoil was deemed compatible, why would there be a problem using the Castrol atf/cvt fluid it it is deemed compatible?

i think they mean cuz normall atf and cvt fluids are apparently different, so now since this fluid is covering both it makes people skeptical on using it. but i feel like if it is bad its prob worse for a cvt then a normal atf tranny

I believe it comes down to what you are comfortable using. It wouldn't be the first time where products were pulled from shelves, and formulas redone for compatibility or performance problems. In situations like this, I personally prefer to choose the least risky options for transmission fluids.

I believe it comes down to what you are comfortable using. It wouldn't be the first time where products were pulled from shelves, and formulas redone for compatibility or performance problems. In situations like this, I personally prefer to choose the least risky options for transmission fluids.
i totally agree and i am 99.9% in agreement with you but my only reason to wanna choose this is cuz its a tad thicker then maxlife or other ws fluids, if i could find a diff thick atf for similar price i would def just run that!

however not to argue or etc but if we never try new products then innovation can never lead the world.

i totally agree and i am 99.9% in agreement with you but my only reason to wanna choose this is cuz its a tad thicker then maxlife or other ws fluids, if i could find a diff thick atf for similar price i would def just run that!

however not to argue or etc but if we never try new products then innovation can never lead the world.

Sure, but let them innovate with their transmissions, not yours :)

I know it's an 8 year old car and if the transmission goes out in 6 months you'll never know if it was just natural or because of the fluid, but why not just get the right fluid? Maxlife is no better now that it's "ATF/CVT" as well.

wow actually i didnt even realize that the normal maxlife is also cvt compatible now! i was kinda debating whether to run maxlife or not and toyota ws is weaker then these other fluids apparently and seems to cause a shudder in my tranny
Sure, but let them innovate with their transmissions, not yours :)

I know it's an 8 year old car and if the transmission goes out in 6 months you'll never know if it was just natural or because of the fluid, but why not just get the right fluid? Maxlife is no better now that it's "ATF/CVT" as well.

Was debating using the Castrol atf/cvt in her 2015 Altima, I’ve used the Castrol CVT fluid since 50K miles on car. Around 92K now and will another drain and fill at 100K miles.

After that it will probably be the atf/cvt as the cvt fluid is getting harder to find

You're making it harder than it is.

All you need to do is drain it when cold, measure how much came out, then refill with the same amount :)

Was debating using the Castrol atf/cvt in her 2015 Altima, I’ve used the Castrol CVT fluid since 50K miles on car. Around 92K now and will another drain and fill at 100K miles.

After that it will probably be the atf/cvt as the cvt fluid is getting harder to find
If the Castrol is working for you, I would stick with it. I've used Castrol and Valvoline in a high mileage ex-Hertz Altima with excellent results. It was black as night when I started; after 5 spill-and-fills, 100K more miles (180K now) it is doing great.

Back