2004 Corolla steering wheel shake

Because they’re junk. Its even more “highly unlikely” that the tires or wheels suddenly became bad.
Like I said, this mechanic wouldn't install junk axles...he didn't build a decades long reputable service center based on installing junk parts...I could buy the tires being bad before I could buy that brand new axles are bad...

For all the time you have spent here, you should have heard plenty about bad remans when it comes to axles. Bad out of the box for white box remans?

You are correct, perhaps you have multiple bad tires. All of a sudden, and right after changing axles? Coincidences can occur, yes. Is this one likely? Methinks not. But by all means, do check, you should know in a few days if its tires or not.

If its not the tires, then what?
This issue didn't happen all of a sudden, and certainly not after the axles were replaced. The shaking has been oncoming, slowly getting worse over time. It could absolutely be the tires. They are cheap, low dollar tires. It could also be any number of other things like tie rod ends, bad struts, etc. With a car this old, and with this many miles, I would think it would be any of these things over the new axles...

Multiple speed bumps nearby?
Nearby railroad tracks with vast gaps between the rails?
Have you run those tires long - with low air pressure (under 20lbs)?

Load those tires to 45-50lbs of air pressure and drive both city and freeway for a short spell. If things noticeably improve, then it narrows down the culprit. If no improvement, then Astro14 may have the correct remedy..... buying OEM axles.
To the first 3 questions, no. I will try running the tires with a high pressure to see what happens...

My Corolla's steering wheel shakes at 70+ MPH. I just had the front axles replaced and thought that would cure the problem (they were both bad). The tires are well balanced, what else could be causing this? I also have a vibration I can feel through the floorboard when I accelerate. This feels like a wheel baring going bad...could the two be connected somehow?
This issue didn't happen all of a sudden, and certainly not after the axles were replaced. The shaking has been oncoming, slowly getting worse over time. It could absolutely be the tires. They are cheap, low dollar tires. It could also be any number of other things like tie rod ends, bad struts, etc. With a car this old, and with this many miles, I would think it would be any of these things over the new axles...
Apologies—the problem predates the axle replacement.

Ok, tires or suspension. Rotors?

Apologies—the problem predates the axle replacement.

Ok, tires or suspension. Rotors?
Rotors? No steering wheel shakes when applying the brakes...also, my apologies, I should've stated that the problem existed prior to the axle replacement...

My mechanic said that one or more of my tires appear to be out of round, or I have a bent rim(s). I've never heard of tires becoming out of round, and I haven't hit any curbs or anything with my rims (they are steelies), so I don't see how any of them could be bent. He suggested that since I bought the tires at Discount Tires, I take it to them to have them check the balance, and the condition of the tires. I did move the fronts to the rear and vice versa with no change. I've been taking my vehicles to this same mechanic for years and I know he wouldn't install junk axles, so I highly doubt the ones he just installed are bad. These tires only have about 18K miles on them (40K mile tires) so if they are bad, I know DT will pro rate them. Car now has 435K miles...
Back up a bit.

You moved the tires, so it’s clearly not the wheels and tires.

Vibration on acceleration is axles. During cruise it can be many things, but you are feeling it under the floors under acceleration so, axles.

“my guy doesn’t use junk” isn’t an argument. It isn’t even true.

Rebuilt axles from big box stores are junk unless they’re new. Even if he got them at NAPA, they’re rebuilt junk.

If you paid less than $500 per axle, the price of a new, not rebuilt, axle, then yeah, you got junk.

Believe me, or live with the vibration. Your call.

You may have multiple things wrong with this car. Find, and fix if needed, all the other things I mentioned in the previous post. But it is going to come back to axles.

Last edited:
Back up a bit.

You moved the tires, so it’s clearly not the wheels and tires.

Vibration on acceleration is axles. During cruise it can be many things, but you are feeling it under the floors under acceleration so, axles.

“my guy doesn’t use junk” isn’t an argument. It isn’t even true.

Rebuilt axles from big box stores are junk unless they’re new. Even if he got them at NAPA, they’re rebuilt junk.

If you paid less than $500 per axle, the price of a new, not rebuilt, axle, then yeah, you got junk.

Believe me, or live with the vibration. Your call.

You may have multiple things wrong with this car. Find, and fix if needed, all the other things I mentioned in the previous post. But it is going to come back to axles.
If I had an out-of-round tire on both the front and back, then yes it still could be bad tires. I don't know where my mechanic gets these axles, but to automatically say they are bad, and to be certain about it I think is being a bit overconfident in your diagnosis. If every rebuilt axle was junk, then they wouldn't be selling them for very long...also, vibration under acceleration can also be caused by a bad wheel bearing. I know as I've experienced that very problem before...

Usually, Discount Tire is good about pro-ration on bad tires towards new ones. This will be the easiest thing to check. What brand are these, Senturies? Since I'm kind of familiar with their offerings.

If I had an out-of-round tire on both the front and back, then yes it still could be bad tires. I don't know where my mechanic gets these axles, but to automatically say they are bad, and to be certain about it I think is being a bit overconfident in your diagnosis. If every rebuilt axle was junk, then they wouldn't be selling them for very long...also, vibration under acceleration can also be caused by a bad wheel bearing. I know as I've experienced that very problem before...
I’ve bought five rebuilt axles over the years. I’m five for five. Every single one of them vibrated under acceleration. Sure, they get replaced under warranty … with another one that vibrates!

Ask @Trav about rebuilds.

I don’t buy rebuilds any more. Reboot OEM if I can. New GKN if I have to. OEM if nothing else.

But no more rebuilds, even on a 400,000 mile car. Fix it right by avoiding big box rebuilds.

Remans suck in every possible way, they grind the bearing surfaces which removes the hardness causing them to wear quickly and are not tight like OE. They do not balance the axle that can cause a whole host of issues and then to finish it off they use the cheapest neoprene boots that can be sourced from uncle wongs rubber shop and bushing factory in some back alley in shanghai or India.

Companies like Raxles uses all new OE parts and use an inspected and checked OE used shaft with quality thermoplastic boot, they are good but not cheap. OE new is simple, you get the original ones brand new. Sometimes these are not as expensive as you think they would be, for this car about $800 a pair.

Unless you have the originals that were on the car forget rebuilding them with new OE joints, buggering the original shaft is part of the cheap reman process.

Usually, Discount Tire is good about pro-ration on bad tires towards new ones. This will be the easiest thing to check. What brand are these, Senturies? Since I'm kind of familiar with their offerings.
Yes they are...

I will know more after my appointment with DT Monday morning...

Back