2004 Corolla steering wheel shake

My Corolla's steering wheel shakes at 70+ MPH. I just had the front axles replaced and thought that would cure the problem (they were both bad). The tires are well balanced, what else could be causing this? I also have a vibration I can feel through the floorboard when I accelerate. This feels like a wheel baring going bad...could the two be connected somehow?

If you just had the axles replaced…

It‘s the axles.

Let me guess, they’re “lifetime” guarantee from a big box store. Not Toyota OEM axles.

So, they’re rebuilt, which means about a 70% chance that they’re unbalanced junk.

If it’s worse under load/acceleration, then, you’ve confirmed it’s the axles.

Double check control arm bushings, balljoints, and strut mounts for wear, but vibration under acceleration is axles.

Last edited:
First he just says vibration at 70+. This had me thinking probably NOT axles.

Then later he mentions a vibration that can be felt "through the floorboard when accelerating." This had me thinking probably axles. Although if it's ONLY through the floorboard and not detectable in the steering wheel, maybe not?

My Corolla's steering wheel shakes at 70+ MPH. I just had the front axles replaced and thought that would cure the problem (they were both bad). The tires are well balanced, what else could be causing this? I also have a vibration I can feel through the floorboard when I accelerate. This feels like a wheel baring going bad...could the two be connected somehow?
Did it do this before the axles were replaced? Does this have aluminum or steel wheels?

How many miles on the car? I remember the odometer stopped at 299k but were keeping track on the trip meters.

My mechanic said that one or more of my tires appear to be out of round, or I have a bent rim(s). I've never heard of tires becoming out of round, and I haven't hit any curbs or anything with my rims (they are steelies), so I don't see how any of them could be bent. He suggested that since I bought the tires at Discount Tires, I take it to them to have them check the balance, and the condition of the tires. I did move the fronts to the rear and vice versa with no change. I've been taking my vehicles to this same mechanic for years and I know he wouldn't install junk axles, so I highly doubt the ones he just installed are bad. These tires only have about 18K miles on them (40K mile tires) so if they are bad, I know DT will pro rate them. Car now has 435K miles...

I've never heard of tires becoming out of round,
I’ve heard it plenty.

But swapping wheels front to rear rules them out.

IMO your mechanic is giving you the runaround. Sometimes they get busy and can’t get back to a return in a proper time? doesn’t want to spend any more time on a high miler that likely isn’t long for this world? am only guessing but to me it sure sounds like… the axles are bad.

I’ve heard it plenty.

But swapping wheels front to rear rules them out.

IMO your mechanic is giving you the runaround. Sometimes they get busy and can’t get back to a return in a proper time? doesn’t want to spend any more time on a high miler that likely isn’t long for this world? am only guessing but to me it sure sounds like… the axles are bad.
Why would new axles be bad? That is highly unlikely. Swapping ends with the tires doesn't rule them out if one or more of the tires that were swapped are bad...

Why would new axles be bad? That is highly unlikely. Swapping ends with the tires doesn't rule them out if one or more of the tires that were swapped are bad..
Because they’re junk. Its even more “highly unlikely” that the tires or wheels suddenly became bad.

Why would new axles be bad? That is highly unlikely.
For all the time you have spent here, you should have heard plenty about bad remans when it comes to axles. Bad out of the box for white box remans?

You are correct, perhaps you have multiple bad tires. All of a sudden, and right after changing axles? Coincidences can occur, yes. Is this one likely? Methinks not. But by all means, do check, you should know in a few days if its tires or not.

If its not the tires, then what?

Multiple speed bumps nearby?
Nearby railroad tracks with vast gaps between the rails?
Have you run those tires long - with low air pressure (under 20lbs)?

Load those tires to 45-50lbs of air pressure and drive both city and freeway for a short spell. If things noticeably improve, then it narrows down the culprit. If no improvement, then Astro14 may have the correct remedy..... buying OEM axles.

Can a tire become "Out Of Round " ? or is it a manufacturing defect ?
I’ve always assumed manufacturing defect. That reminds me, the only time I had that happen, it was stupid easy to check—jack up the wheel and spin. In my case it was clear as day. Out of balance is harder, but maybe the same test would show if it was badly out of balance.

Back