2003 GMC Safari 120k miles, too late for diff service?

My first car was a '73 Monte Carlo with a 350 small block. I had it through high school and college. It was bulletproof and sold it with around 120K on it. A year or so later I found out the car was sold as a non-runner as the differential gave way.

Back in the day we babied our cars with spark plug changes, points/condenser, etc. For some reason, I and the guys I hung out with, never once thought about changing differential fluids. Oddly enough, that's what caught up to that car.

I know a guy at a dealership he looked it up in their system, GM no longer recommends the use of 80w-90 and instead recommends the use of 75w-90 and to not use limited slip additive.

He told me to use GM 88900401

Call your local dealership and confirm it through them is my recommendation.
Do you have a full size Gm Truck made in the last 20 years?

Do you have a full size Gm Truck made in the last 20 years?
I own 2003 S10, there is a TSB that clearly states do not use limited slip additive.

LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL LUBRICANT (SERVICE INFORMATION) #91-4-109

SUBJECT: LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL (G80) LUBRICANT - (SERVICE INFORMATION)

VEHICLES AFFECTED: ALL LIGHT TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH G80 REAR AXLE ALL YEARS

Some light duty trucks equipped with locking rear axles (G80) may exhibit rear axle chatter, especially when turning a corner from a stop.
This condition of alternate engagement and disengagement of clutches in differential assembly is usually caused by contaminated axle lubricant.
To correct this condition, drain and refill the rear axle with SAE 80W-90 GL5 (P/N 10950849).

The use of any additive in locking rear axles (G80) is not recommended. Rear axle additives are designed for use in limited slip differentials which are normally installed in cars.
All light duty trucks equipped with RPO G80 make use of a locking differential. The use of additives will delay the engagement of the locking mechanism and may decrease axle life.

VEHICLES/COMPONENTS INVOLVED: Some light duty trucks equipped with locking rear axles, RPO G80.

SERVICE PARTS INFORMATION: Part Number Description 10950849 Lubricant, Rear Axle (1 litre) Parts are currently available through CANSPO.

The only difference now is they do not recommend the use of 80w-90 and instead recommend the use of GM 88900401 75w-90

I own 2003 S10, there is a TSB that clearly states do not use limited slip additive.

Some light duty trucks equipped with locking rear axles (G80) may exhibit rear axle chatter, especially when turning a corner from a stop.
This condition of alternate engagement and disengagement of clutches in differential assembly is usually caused by contaminated axle lubricant.
To correct this condition, drain and refill the rear axle with SAE 80W-90 GL5 (P/N 10950849).

The use of any additive in locking rear axles (G80) is not recommended. Rear axle additives are designed for use in limited slip differentials which are normally installed in cars.
All light duty trucks equipped with RPO G80 make use of a locking differential. The use of additives will delay the engagement of the locking mechanism and may decrease axle life.

VEHICLES/COMPONENTS INVOLVED: Some light duty trucks equipped with locking rear axles, RPO G80.

SERVICE PARTS INFORMATION: Part Number Description 10950849 Lubricant, Rear Axle (1 litre) Parts are currently available through CANSPO.

The only difference now is they do not recommend the use of 80w-90 and instead recommend the use of GM 88900401 75w-90
I’ve switched to 80W140 in all my diffs. Not cheap, the last two pails were from Petro Canada and Chevron. The channel point in these synthetic gear lubricants are likely close to their published pour points.

Cool, nice truck.

The thing is, and the issue I have with the arguement is, there are millions of people who have a GM truck...... Any and all 1\2 tons and above pickups for the last 25 years have had the G80, automatic locking differential, such that it is not even an option not to buy one with it, in other words, they are standard equipment.

Valvoline's gear oil
Mobil 1 gear oil
Amsoil gear oil
etc etc......

ALL have LS additives in them.

So, all these listed companies above have made, in great and available quantities, a gear oil that you cannot use, in the most popular pickup chassis, work van chassis, (P30-P32)UPS chassis, motorhome chassis, in the USA? I think not.

Some gear oils, such as MobilLube HD, or Supertech clearly note "for top off" in LS diffs. Not suitable for limited slip diffs.

I think the arguement that an additive is not directed to be added to the oil is correct.......because the oil already has the modifier in it. Especially in the grape smelling AC delco stuff, which no one in their right mind buys.

The company I used to work for, before I went out on my own as a business, exclusively used GM trucks, 2500 and above. Sold them for cash normally around the 200k range........never had an issue with any rear end........using Valvoline 75w90 regular gear oil off the shelf, marked as LS, straight out of the drum.

If you use gear oil without the LS additive, (((and))) you get in a situation where the axle locks up, getting it to unlock can be difficult, and loud. Most people never even get into a autolocking situation, and would never know the difference.......

Especially people who just quote some text like the gospel without experience of what they are talking about.

I changed out the rear diff fluid on my 2wd 1999 chevy 2500 with 129k a few months ago with Vavoline 75w90. It looked original, not great not terrible. I put maybe 300 miles on it since then. It sees 75 percent towing or hauling. Idk how that compares to yours, but no issues so far. Probably going to tow a few more vehicles in a few weeks for another 200 miles.

The only time it’s ever really too late for new, clean fluids is when you open the cover for whatever mechanical item you’re changing the fluid on, and parts fall out.
So would you put the old oil back in, pending oil analysis from MIT of course? Or better yet if the failure happened within the book time change interval?

I would think that at that time, it would be the best time for new fluids. But i am weird.

Have used Mobil Delvac 1 in a number of G80’s … currently in a Tahoe and the Rubicon …

I think most folks know that - especially owners who have owned 4WD’s for decades …
Then why bring it up? Has nothing to do with the conversation. 4wd has nothing to do with the conversation and electric lockers also have no added value. Make me wonder why you would bring it up.

Then why bring it up? Has nothing to do with the conversation. 4wd has nothing to do with the conversation and electric lockers also have no added value. Make me wonder why you would bring it up.
So ignore what I did contribute and go after that for drama …
Who made inaccurate statements wrt G80’s ?
*RPO was an option on some … but for 4WD …
4WD is ALL I have ever shopped for decades …
(Regular Production Option) …

Last edited:
So ignore what I did contribute and go after that for drama …
Who made inaccurate statements wrt G80’s ?
*RPO was an option on some … but for 4WD …
4WD is ALL I have ever shopped for decades …
(Regular Production Option) …
No not at all.

But a Jeep Rubicon with electric lockers has nothing to do with the subject at all. Thanks for your contribution to the conversation. The automatic locking differential has been standard since 96 i believe. Definately on all GMT600-800s. I have bought somewhere somewhere around 40 for my own company and the one I worked for.

Not sure about the s-10, blaser, canyon, etc as they are not the same chassis, and have 0% experience with them.

I have made no inaccurate statements about the g880 auto locker

No not at all.

But a Jeep Rubicon with electric lockers has nothing to do with the subject at all. Thanks for your contribution to the conversation. The automatic locking differential has been standard since 96 i believe. Definately on all GMT600-800s. I have bought somewhere somewhere around 40 for my own company and the one I worked for.

Not sure about the s-10, blaser, canyon, etc as they are not the same chassis, and have 0% experience with them.

I have made no inaccurate statements about the g880 auto locker
Yes - I had Canyons and Colly’s with G80’s as well as 1500’s … most of these are Eaton guts in AAM axles - so a 3 way party over lube specs …
Even my new IRS calls it G80 …

oh indy rear suspension i suppose.

Good luck with that one. Have not figured that one out why they went to IRS.

Does it ride better or like a boat?
It certainly rides better than the 2017 - not that it rides bad …
Either feels pretty darn good since my DD is a Jeep …

Back