2000 Plymouth Neon with 6 original miles!

It's so strange seeing one of those that isn't clapped out, I thought they left the lot looking beat up. It's kind of a neat time capsule, but it will also fold like a taco if you hit a squirrel.

I see the Petersen Auto Museum, Los Angeles is the seller, they recently auctioned off a few cool cars.
Would have been cool retrofitting the Corbin with a Lion battery pack. Also, the Spark looks spunky

Why can’t more cars have cloth seats like this? The material was so durable back in the day. These days the neoprene crap they put in cars is so cheap and thin.

Someone explain to me how in the heck this almost 24 year old car has only 6 miles on it? My little monkey brain can't compute this.
it's been owned /in the collection of the Petersen museum since new... they only Titled it a few months ago...
kept in climate controlled storage, with Fuel Stabilizer, getting it ready for this sale they did change all the Fluids, but the Rubber bits ( esp like wipers and tires) are the originals. ( and besides being 23 years old, those tires were kinda garbage from the get go..)

Why can’t more cars have cloth seats like this? The material was so durable back in the day. These days the neoprene crap they put in cars is so cheap and thin.
+2

Give me cloth seats any day. It's a pity we have to seek out base models or stripped-down models to get it in a lot of cars now.

I miss cheap cars like this. Yes, I understand the need for safety in modern vehicles, but I loved the days where you could walk into just about any showroom and find a basic enconobox that would get you to/from work reliably for 10+ years before you handed it down to one of your kids to take to college and not worry about. No frills, just a tape deck for entertainment, and a stick shift.

My sister's '91 Plymouth Sundance and other sister's '92 Mitsubishi-made Dodge Colt were exactly this, and I think they were like $9k brand new. They were basically rolling appliances designed for moving up to four people from points A to B... and that's it. And they did it perfectly. Same with mini pickups.

*Yells at cloud*

When I test drove a Dart sport when they came out tears ago, I said to the ride a long salesman, "this is terrible- even a Neon was Better, LOL.

I recall test driving one of those special " track ready" Neon models with a stick - that wasn't too bad, Forget what it was called. A good driver for a FWD compact- using of course the Acura Integra GS-R as the one to beat.
The track neons were the R/T wasn't there ine even higher up?

+2

Give me cloth seats any day. It's a pity we have to seek out base models or stripped-down models to get it in a lot of cars now.
I like the old Naugatuck Madrid-Grain Vinyl and miss it in cars - I eat in my car and it's easy to wipe up spills. Last forever and a day.

A bit chilly in the winter though

With less than 2 hours left to bid, the current bid is $7600. Personally, that's about $6000 more than it's worth.

After sitting in a museum for the last 23+ years, with no maintenance done, except dusting it off, I suspect it is going to take a lot of work to drive it. We all know how cars that are not driven and maintained regularly, tend to deteriorate. With a date code of 2100, the tires are shot. I suspect all the rubber is in need of replacement. I suspect, after sitting in one position for years at a time, all the seals are deformed, and will start leaking as the car starts getting driven.

I guess if someone is looking for a car that has nostalgia for them, that they can take to car shows, it would be kind of cool.

I'd pick the Neon over this vehicle:

I recall test driving one of those special " track ready" Neon models with a stick - that wasn't too bad, Forget what it was called. A good driver for a FWD compact- using of course the Acura Integra GS-R as the one to beat.
That would be the SRT-4. It came complete with the big wing (as was popular at the time, what with all those Fast&Furious movies and all).
If I were going to bid on one, that would be it!
1699551374866.jpg

If there was an SRT4 with only 6 miles out there that would be such awesome find.
There was a fella on the west coast who had a very low mileage one (well under 50k miles).
I recall seeing his Craigslist Ad up for quite a while as he struggled to sell it (the price was reasonable too, at about 15-20k CAD).

1995-1999
Standard: 2.0 SOHC 132hp
R/T: 2.0 DOHC 150hp with more final gear in the transmission
ACR: Basically an R/T with a better suspension

2000-2005
Standard 2.0 SOHC 132hp
R/T: 2.0 SOHC 150hp with more final gear in the transmission
ACR: R/T with a better suspension
SRT: 215hp (2003) 230hp (2004/5)
SRT ACR: 2005 MY only and was a SRT with a better suspension

Yes, I know too much about neons.

Back