Diff oil seal for front CV axles on 3/4 ton Chevys

I have a leak at my oil seal on my front diff. To get at it requires removing the CV axle ( drivers side). I noticed one mechanic at the You Tube mechanics school recommends replacing the stub axle to have a non worn surface for the seal. That adds a couple hundred to the $15 seal repair. There’s over 250,000 miles on the diff. What say the 4x4 mechanics here. Can you get away with just the seal? Here are the parts from Rock Auto. Thanks

0D0D0712-A315-4880-AE67-28060523F410.jpg
EBCA72D4-F6A7-42DD-A7CF-ECA186C07BB5.jpg

Those style seals spin inside themselves so the axle shaft shouldn’t have any wear. I would recommend getting the gm genuine seal because most of the aftermarket seals are designed wrong and leak soon after install atleast that’s my experience with the 8.25 front axle in my 2004 Silverado. There are some properly designed aftermarket seals but I just went for gm the last time I did those seals after several attempts with the wrong design aftermarket seals.

Those style seals spin inside themselves so the axle shaft shouldn’t have any wear. I would recommend getting the gm genuine seal because most of the aftermarket seals are designed wrong and leak soon after install atleast that’s my experience with the 8.25 front axle in my 2004 Silverado. There are some properly designed aftermarket seals but I just went for gm the last time I did those seals after several attempts with the wrong design aftermarket seals.
Did they not leak? My understanding is that these pretty much always leak, and just deal with it.

Did they not leak? My understanding is that these pretty much always leak, and just deal with it.
They haven’t leaked since installing the gm seals and it’s been 10,000 miles.

See how the gm seal has double the sealing area compared to the aftermarket seal and it doesn’t have that air gap inside the seal. Maybe gm redesigned the seal at some point because of them leaking all the time. This is for the 8.25 axle, the 9.25 is a little different seal.

IMG_6978.jpg

IMG_6980.jpg

IMG_6981.jpg

IMG_6979.jpg

I know that SKF sells bearings made in Brazil. I noticed it years ago when I saw SKF bearing packs from several countries in one store. I was thinking it was strange seeing that. Here is one package. I wonder if SKF is making bearings for GM.

68B477C4-7AB8-4ACA-BEBA-66D276420A37.jpg

Last edited:
Got a partial answer. SKF has been building bearings and seals in Brazil for a lot of years. I’ll bet those GM seals were built by SKF. As long as GM backs them, I’m not going to fight it.

C92D3C66-96D0-47EC-9EA3-EAD4173F2352.jpg

Last edited:
Back