17 Outback 3.6 Front Axles

I'm at 165k and have had popping sounds when turning so I figured the axles were dry. I checked the boots and there were no tears so I opened them up and regreased them. I zip-tied (remember I'm a Shadetree kinda wanna be mech!!) the boots closed. I figured it would take a little driving to get the grease worked back into the knuckles. So far, a few hundred miles into it the clicking is certainly less but still prevalent.

Re-grease? or suck it up and replace the axles altogether? If the answer is new axles what is recommended? I've heard negatives about the OEM as well as aftermarket.

GSP makes "performance revolution" CV axles for your Outback. They have thermoplastic outer boots (though the inner boots are neoprene).

The OEM axles are still available, but they're over $300 each!

Weak point on jacked up Subarus. They are likely toast. Expensive part.

Wife killed her crosstrek PS CV at about 63K. She got some corporate help - you are too far past DT warranty

On more conclusive "parking lot" test is reversing in circles at near full lock CCW and CW.

Watch out for lamp poles and pedestrians! - Ken

Axles are wearing naturally. Agree with above, Subarus are hard on them. I had a GL which tore its boots in 60k - I didn’t catch it and the axles had to be replaced.

Back