20 micron string wound filter for well pump.

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
Been a while since I've seen one of these. The heavy rains in Nor cal this season caused a bit of turbidity in the water table.

Ostensibly there are 2 the benefits of this type of filter.

1. You can observe consumption/loading of the media by looking at the depth and color in the wind.
2. They have more holding capacity than a pleated filter (which Im struggling with )

If 1. is true it would seem to indicate I was on my last wind and that the sediment had not yet made its way into my water flow - or in other vernacular - I got this just in time.

Ive got a pleated 20 micron in place now and I'll pay close attention and likely switch back.

(I dried it out a day outside and there is a bit detritus in the tube and on the outside.)

IMG_4390.jpeg
IMG_4392.jpeg
IMG_4391.jpeg

My old house had a filter. I would wait until the sediment would get half inch or so, then change. No idea why, but it was like that for years. Forget how often I would change now, was a pain to do.

New house lacks a filter. Don’t want to know what is passing through…

I ran 5um string wound filters on my whole-house system for 15 years. Only had to change mine about 1/year. The loading looked similar to what you show on yours.

I ran 5um string wound filters on my whole-house system for 15 years. Only had to change mine about 1/year. The loading looked similar to what you show on yours.

Are you on city water or a well ?

I see I can buy much tighter ratings, but Im a bit concerned about flow having to be the one that provides the pressure with my own pump.

Just went back and looked almost a year to the day.

Odd I didnt really check but my internal spider sense told me to go do it ????

I certainly cant say it isnt economical at like 5 bones a filter.

I'd like to help but there's to many words I'd have to look up .

1) turbidity
2) Ostensibly
3) vernacular
4) detritus

The filter housing touches the string where it is clean. Mine does the same thing. It stains clear through except for the ends where nothing flows. Mine plugs up every 2-3 months and I am on rural water.

Back