2 oil suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.

I am looking for 2 suggestions/opinions on engine oil.

First for my wife's suv a 2008 Jeep Patriot 2.0L, cvt, front wheel drive with about 140000km (87500mi).
We see weather extremes from +98°F to -50°F, and only from about 30°F and down will she let it idle/warm up any before taking off.
For driving style she is a very hard driver plenty of 3/4 throttle accelerations, with the kicker being her daily commute being 3.6km(2.24mi) one way with about 8 stop signs and 2 traffic lights.

Currently we are running M1 5w20 and an OCOD (I know I know, we have better filters on order now). With an OCI of around 6 months or 8000 km +/- 1000.

I am thinking of switching her to Dino/Wix-Hastings and an OCI of every 3 months regardless mileage, thoughts/opinions?

2nd being my 2013 f150 3.5l ecoboost, 4x4 with about 34000 miles and has a catch can, recently bought and it is going have an oil change this weekend it's getting a Wix and M1 5w30.

I am no where near as hard on trucks, every morning it gets idled for at least 5 min before moving (winter will get a longer warm up), always gets "idled down" for a few minutes before shutting down.
Daily commute is 7 miles in town one way, afternoon is a 26 mile run down the highway and a 48 mile mostly highway run home.

For this truck I am thinking of keeping it a diet of M1 5w20 with Wix and an OCI of 7-8000mi, thoughts/opinions?

Sorry for the long frst post, thank you for any input.

Originally Posted By: flyingbrick

First for my wife's suv a 2008 Jeep Patriot 2.0L.......We see weather extremes from +98°F to -50°F.....her daily commute being 3.6km(2.24mi) one way with about 8 stop signs and 2 traffic lights.....Currently we are running M1 5w20.......I am thinking of switching her to Dino/Wix-Hastings and an OCI of every 3 months regardless mileage, thoughts/opinions?

You see negative 50 degree temperatures and you want to switch from synthetic to dino??!! How about 0W20 synthetic winter and perhaps 5W20 dino for the summer, if you want.

I wouldn't do the 3 months regardless of mileage. Oils are pretty robust and I would just do 3000 miles/5000KM changes if you think the conditions warrant a severe duty oil change cycle.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

First for my wife's suv a 2008 Jeep Patriot 2.0L.......We see weather extremes from +98°F to -50°F.....her daily commute being 3.6km(2.24mi) one way with about 8 stop signs and 2 traffic lights.....Currently we are running M1 5w20.......I am thinking of switching her to Dino/Wix-Hastings and an OCI of every 3 months regardless mileage, thoughts/opinions?

You see negative 50 degree temperatures and you want to switch from synthetic to dino??!! How about 0W20 synthetic winter and perhaps 5W20 dino for the summer, if you want.

Can you really start any engine unaided at -50 degrees Fahrenheit regardless of the oil?

And a 2-3 mile commute at those temps...

Welcome!!!

I'd definitely stay with the synthetic, with you saying how your wife drives. The cold flow properties are what you need.

Bubbatime- The reason for switching with her suv is that oil is easily 2-3x more expensive in Canada and with her being so hard on engines my thinking is Dino and more frequent changes.

kschachn- Yes before I changed the layout of my yard I would park my 98 Ford Ranger with the 2.5l 4cyl on the street overnight at -50 without the block heater plugged in, running Dino oil and it would start. It costed me a battery every 2 years but it would start.

I should add that we do use block heaters overnight at 7°F and lower, and also she will at least command start and idle her jeep for 10 minutes from 20°F and less.

Last edited:
For the wifey, I'd stay with the OCOD as long as you are not seeing any start up rattle and spend your leftover filter money on PP or M1 0W-20 synthetic.

I would vote for the Wife, the OCOD is perfectly fine. It has good filtration rates and should be great up to 5k miles or 7500km pretty easily. I would run 0w20 M1AFE for at least 7500 km to 10k km with an OCOD and have no qualms. That would save you money as opposed to a Dino at 3k miles/5k KM and The filter an oil should hold up fine.

Bubbatime- The reason for switching with her suv is that oil is easily 2-3x more expensive in Canada and with her being so hard on engines my thinking is Dino and more frequent changes.

kschachn- Yes before I changed the layout of my yard I would park my 98 Ford Ranger with the 2.5l 4cyl on the street overnight at -50 without the block heater plugged in, running Dino oil and it would start. It costed me a battery every 2 years but it would start.

I should add that we do use block heaters overnight at 7°F and lower, and also she will at least command start and idle her jeep for 10 minutes from 20°F and less.

If you are buying your own oil, synthetic won't be three times more expensive than Dino unless your avoiding sales at Canadian tire or Walmart.

I got jigs of Pennzoil platinum for $26 and change on sale. Regular PYB is around $16-18 on sale.

I'm just outside of Toronto and I always use synthetic in winter. I use a block heater on my caravan for morning starts.

I would upgrade your filters to a napa gold or fram ultra and use the filter for two OCI.

Thanks for the suggestions.

My main reasoning for switching the Jeep to Dino and quarterly changes is that growing up it was pounded into our heads "grease is cheap parts are not" through my work I can get Dino in bulk for around $14/gal where as M1 is around $30 on sale. Also I would consider the Jeep to be more extreme then severe duty, and see above comment oil is cheap over engines and new jeeps.

As for running synthetic for 10000km would be anywhere from 1.5-3 years for the Jeep, I really don't feel comfortable leaving oil in a motor for 2 of our harsh winters, especially with her short trips.

Thanks for the suggestions.

My main reasoning for switching the Jeep to Dino and quarterly changes is that growing up it was pounded into our heads "grease is cheap parts are not" through my work I can get Dino in bulk for around $14/gal where as M1 is around $30 on sale. Also I would consider the Jeep to be more extreme then severe duty, and see above comment oil is cheap over engines and new jeeps.

As for running synthetic for 10000km would be anywhere from 1.5-3 years for the Jeep, I really don't feel comfortable leaving oil in a motor for 2 of our harsh winters, especially with her short trips.

If you're only putting 10,000km every 1.5 to 3 years and you change it every 1.5 to 3 years then you should be worried about rust and other electronics malfunctioning over engine longevity. Your engine will be just fine even if oil is changed every 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back