1995 BMW 325i Convertible

Going to look tonight at a 1995 BMW 325i convertible. The car has less then 50,000 miles on it. I find it attractive because it is a 5speed and appears to be in pristine condition. The seller is asking $15,000.

Thoughts and comments on what I should be looking for. From my research, water pumps and timing belts are items that require attention in these vehicles.

Thanks.

Is $15k what something like that would go for? Sounds like a lot to me. My cousin had the M3 version and he sold that for < $3,000, in 2008 (yes over 200k and needed work). I don't know that much about E36s but I do own a E92, and just me the price sounds high.

edit this seems to support what I was thinking

325f.JPG

Sounds a little high, but there are very few with that low mileage.

They are fun cars to drive. A much different experience from a new BMW for sure.

Reactions: JC1
Going to look tonight at a 1995 BMW 325i convertible. The car has less then 50,000 miles on it. I find it attractive because it is a 5speed and appears to be in pristine condition. The seller is asking $15,000.

Thoughts and comments on what I should be looking for. From my research, water pumps and timing belts are items that require attention in these vehicles.

Thanks.

Confirm what work has been done on the cooling system. Hopefully you can DIY.

A nice feature about northern cabriolets is that they are often put away for the winter and seldom see snow.

I'd be on the lookout for leaks around the top. Be careful to ensure that the head gasket isn't leaking. It's pretty easy to test for combustion gases in the overflow tank.

No timing belt in the M50. Keep in mind that the rubber components on this car are 28 years old -- that includes weather seals as well as hoses and bushings.

Is $15k what something like that would go for? Sounds like a lot to me. My cousin had the M3 version and he sold that for < $3,000, in 2008 (yes over 200k and needed work). I don't know that much about E36s but I do own a E92, and just me the price sounds high.

View attachment 166446
In 2008? Lol the prices are insane now for anything in decent shape. Yeah you can find beaters for 3 grand, but they probably need 10k in repairs.

15k is very steep unless its in almost new shape and there are records of it being well maintained and drives perfectly with all electronics working perfectly. Check under the hood and the car for oil seepage, check the rear diff for seepage too. If it's anything less than clean bare metal haggle them down 5k or more. They seem to think what they have is more special than what it is.

View attachment 166446
In that example the car has 153k miles where the OP's example has under 50k miles. Big difference in values.

They are great if you want a retro feel, but a 15 year old Accord or Camry is quicker.
good luck cruising for chicks in those cars ;) apples to dump trucks difference in driving experience too, there is a reason it's called "the ultimate driving machine". Hope it works out for the OP, look forward to seeing pics. That inline 6 with a 5 speed makes beautiful music.

The seller is fishing for a sucker. That's a $6-8,000 car if pristine, but check for rust on any northeast car of that vintage. They are great if you want a retro feel, but a 15 year old Accord or Camry is quicker.
It was just a matter of time before someone came and says: yes, but my Accord is fun, and CVT is ok.

My Sienna was quicker 0-60, than my BMW, I think. The difference is, every time I had to drive Sienna, I had to emotionally prepare myself for it. When it comes to BMW, I jump into it with a smile, every day, all day.

Look at anything rubber. I still help a friend from time to time with an e36, and every single door card, window guide, windshield and rear window seal… they have all disentigrated. Not to mention every inch of the cooling system. Otoh, Also good to see if they look pristine, it may indicate a well-babied car.

15k for a 30 year old car…? The convertibles didn’t handle quite as well as the hard tops, but that 5 speed with the straight six is one of the best, ever.

Back