1982 Trans am 84K miles Oil recomends ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am with the guy that said 5w30 or 10w30.
I don't know why all these people think 80s cars are so loose. Same people think you need the lightest possible in new cars think it's Ok to run truck oil in anything older than 2000.
Ironically 5w30/10w30 will work in everything.

WM fleet 15w40 is really all you need in your bird.
I'm a Pontiac fan from way back. One of my first thrills was a ride in a GTO Judge. There were other affairs, 455SD in a 76 T/A, Bandit T/A, a couple Fiero's, (those go pretty good with a small block in the butt end of them), my Grand Prix had one of the smoothest rides.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Need to know the real oil pressure at op temp at idle and at 3,000 with a fully warmed up motor on a known oil w/o additives ... We can go from there ...

I'll make note of it next time I take it out for a drive and its not 100* outside !!!

Last I recall, Once the engine was warmed up, oil PSI was around 25-30 on the OIL pressure gauge

Dave

Ya I read about WM ST oil being good, But I'm pretty anal about my cars

Gonna try 15W-40 and see how it goes, If I don't like it I'll flush it out and run 10W-30

Looking at WM stock Rotella T5 for $17

d612d6e5-eacc-4b4c-b126-8c1c577eaafc_1.11318d67158cdf07e425b36e982c9de7.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you ever log your oil pressure like the above mentioned. I'm curious what it was at idle and in higher rpms. I know alot of people are used to new age cars and things that seem low or high today are normal for 25+ year old cars.

IMO T5 15W-40 is an EXCELLENT choice for this engine.

Panzerman: old 305's do get worn, leaky, and need higher-visc. oils to work well. They were not a 'strong' engine as they aged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back