2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5 N/A CVT 266k Kms

I am a Subaru fanboy. But I would 100% have advised you to stay away from it. Congrats. Early FB engines were oil drinkers also. I certainly would suggest you wo with a heavier oil, regardless.

I am a Subaru fanboy. But I would 100% have advised you to stay away from it. Congrats. Early FB engines were oil drinkers also. I certainly would suggest you wo with a heavier oil, regardless.
I know, you warned me after I bought it; I've had no problems with it. The EJ253 uses no oil between oil changes, and I've done three so far since December of 2021. Currently at 276k with no leaks either; see odometer when I bought it ↙️. 0w-20 in it right now for the winter, because my daily drive to work is only 10 kilometers.
Speedo Legacy.jpg

I've probably spent $350 in total so far, not including oil and filter changes for maintenance, which includes 4 used tires an upstream O2 sensor (CEL on and off for just over a year) and a front hub assembly which was just starting to get a little noisy. I also had to replace the right side view mirror (used), I hit something.

Last edited:
The CEL hasn't gone off after the replacement O2 sensor went in, but the throttle is more responsive. So, today I had time to investigate why. I hooked up the scanner and checked for codes, to find the same pre-existing code, P2096 plus a new one P0031 :mad:. I try to clear the codes and they would not clear! It was time to get into diagnostic mode, I get out a test light and my multi-meter, to find out that the new O2 sensor is faulty. It's the first time being bitten in the culo by RA. Will it be my last? 🤷‍♂️

Ordered a replacement O2 sensor from Amazon with a 3-year warranty on Thursday. The sensor arrived yesterday Sunday and installed it in my driveway (15 min. job). CEL went out on the 4th drive cycle. ✅

As a side note, if you order anything from RA that's defective beyond 30 days, you are not offered a refund. Replacement only (n)

Not from my experience @The Critic. For example, if I decide I don't want to take a chance with a warranty replacement (for whatever reason, quality, labour intensive, etc.), I return the defective part for a refund and use the funds towards a genuine Subaru sensor.

Last edited:
Not from my experience @The Critic. For example, if I decide I don't want to take a chance with a warranty replacement (for whatever reason, quality, labour intensive, etc.), I return the defective part for a refund and use the funds towards a genuine Subaru sensor.
Canadian thing? None of the parts places I shopped at allow for a refund. It is always like for like replacement.

Back