19 Subaru Impreza - CVT failed

subaru chain drive its also pull vs the "pusher" belt on nissan cvt.
1706149554337.jpg

Heavily Edited.

Honda seems to have figured out CVT reliability. My daughter had a 2013 Accord CVT. Zero issues and she drives harder than my wife. (Her college car, 4 years, then 4 years after...marriage, kid etc that thing was thrashed hard and out of my care, I never changed it over to Amsoil CVT even)

Now we have a 2017 CRV with CVT. No issues. It's been on Amsoil CVT for years now.

I really don't trust Subaru for some things, but my 2014 WRX 5 speed never actually bailed on me.....but the tranny was getting odd early in life

Last edited:
Honda seems to have figured out CVT reliability. My daughter had a 2013 Accord CVT. Zero issues and she drives harder than my wife.

Now we have a 2017 CRV with CVT. No issues.

I really don't trust Subaru.
Yes the Subarus built in the Toyota Camry plant in Indiana seem to get B stock parts vs. Japan.

We had to dump a brand new '22 Outback base for a '23 Crosstrek as the Outback was junk. Eating inside edge of rear tires due to incorrect rear geometry, terrible seats, junk paint, horrendous touch screen HVAC. Nice ride though.
Luckily the market was hot for used cars so there was no loss of value.
Problem with the crosstrek 6mt is extremely short "trail" gearing resulting in revving over 3 grand on the highway. Reminds one of the old ecobox days of the late 70's with a 4 speed.

Plenty of issues with the CVT's in Subaru's going back to the beginning. I've replaced half a dozen valve body's for solenoid failure as Subaru refuses to sell the solenoids separately.

Plenty of issues with the CVT's in Subaru's going back to the beginning. I've replaced half a dozen valve body's for solenoid failure as Subaru refuses to sell the solenoids separately.
I have seen videos on that. SMA has done one or more.

Just curious about the OP's situation with a "bearing" problem.

The Impreza was making a clicking type sound. I had thought it was just in need of an oil change. She informed me that it's been doing this for quite some time and that she ran over a trash can lid SMH. Took it to the dealer Monday night. They said the CVT will have to be replaced. He mentioned it could be a bearing within the CVT, but likely it will have to be replaced. It's a 2019 with only 20k miles on it. I'll know more today.

I thought Subaru CVTs were reliable. Maybe they are and it's the driver. 🤭 Either way kind of disappointing. Luckily, she is still under the 5yr/60k warranty.

Let the Subaru hate begin.........
I remember Subaru doing CVTs in those tiny justy cars in the 80s.

Notionally they’ve learned a thing or two, and a new updated CVT will go a bit longer… glad it’s under warranty…

My wife's 21 Altima CVT has been solid. She drives it hard and just rolled over 45,000 miles. No issues at all.

My wife's 21 Altima CVT has been solid. She drives it hard and just rolled over 45,000 miles. No issues at all.

You hear of them being all original with 100's of thousands of miles on them, then those who've had nothing but problems. Fact of the matter is, what AT these days doesn't have early failures?

The CVT in our 2019 is a "chain" and is rated to tow 6000lbs. SO many R52 pathfinder owners tow travel-trailers with them and ironically, I've never read of one failing while or from towing. The dreaded Nissan judder code (P17F0) during normal operations? That's another topic. LOL

We don't tow with ours, but have ~103K miles on it. I've run gallons of CVT juice through it over the years doing spill/fills.

Honestly I think the CVT in my 21 Outback is nice. However, I am conscious abuse should be avoided with the CVT. My goal is to change the fluid every 40-45k and just take care of the car. Compared to other designs like Nissan's belt driven I'm confident in Subarus design. People like to bash Subarus but hey take at look at GM's 8 speed and Ford 10 speed screw ups.
Subaru's and Nissan's CVT transmissions are both made by JATCO.

There are only three manufacturers of CVT transmissions in the world. Toyota, Honda, and JATCO.

If it has a CVT and it's not a Toyota or a Honda then the transmission was made by JATCO.

Subaru's and Nissan's CVT transmissions are both made by JATCO.

There are only three manufacturers of CVT transmissions in the world. Toyota, Honda, and JATCO.

If it has a CVT and it's not a Toyota or a Honda then the transmission was made by JATCO.
Ford used a CVT in one of their vehicles c. 15 to 20 years ago. The 500 perhaps?

Anyway, I presume that was a JATCO.

The start/stop in the loaner Outback is terrible.

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me how CVT belts are described as “pushers?“ if the belt were “pushed,” would it not need a “keeper” to guide it and press it against the driven pulley? In my experience, if I push a flexible object like a chain or belt, it will just flop. It requires tension, which is a fulling force, to have any grip against the pulley surfaces. How is the CVT any different?

Back