16/17 Colorado/Canyon Vs. 16/17 F150 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
Originally Posted By: Iowegian
GM's 3.6l v6 is a very good engine with few problems. If you go that route get the v6.
Very little mpg difference and more reliable and more power.
My 2 cents

Did they FINALLY fix the timing chain failures that start at about 100K miles.

I will not buy the 3.6 for that reason. All the chain, sprockets, guides tensioners etc it is well over $1000, some run $2500.

Rod
The V6 has been completely redesigned for 2017. It uses a different timing chain design. Same as the new Camaro/Cadillac V6. http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lgx/

Camshaft drive: all-new, with a simpler design featuring two chains and six sprockets vs. the previous three chains and nine sprockets, with lower chain loads, which enhances durability. The lower tension of the chain drive, along with cushioned ring sprockets, also reduces noise and vibration.

Also the new truck uses an eight speed automatic transmission.

My 2017 V6 auto gets an average of 25 mpg in suburban/rural/city driving. I love the truck. I went from a full size GMC Sierra and the smaller truck is a joy to drive.

GM's 3.6l v6 is a very good engine with few problems. If you go that route get the v6.
My 2 cents

I will not buy the 3.6 for that reason. All the chain, sprockets, guides tensioners etc it is well over $1000, some run $2500.

Rod

Yes they did fix that.
One of the very few issues they had and it was the lfx engine introduced around 2012.
I would stay awsy from 2012 and 2013 years.

I believe GM extended the warranty out for those engines.

Correction on this.
The older 3.6l had issues. Even up to 2012ish.
After that the issue has been resolved....i think.
If with the timing chain issue it has been a very reliable engine.

I'm in the same boat as far as going midsize or full size to replace my GMT800 Silverado. The new full size trucks are just massive compared to mine and I actually want to go smaller for ease of parking. I rarely ever tow and the smaller bed isn't a big deal. I'm leaning heavily towards a Colorado with a v6.

Do have you/are planning to have small kids that need a rear facing car seat? That made the decision for me. I went from a Tacoma to a Sierra because the backseat in a mid-size is a tight squeeze for a rear facing car seat.

I was just looking at Holmes Tuttle Ford in Tucson and they have '18 F150 regular cab, 6.5 bed, 2.7 EB with 3.73 gears backed up to a 10 speed auto trans. Now THERES a truck that will get up and go! I'm tempted to swing by and take a look at it as the price is decent for a new truck. Living at over 5000' altitude, turbo's rule the rooost.

Is the 2.7 tt being discontinued? Seems like I read that somewhere. Upon last night and today's research on my local Ford and chevy dealers the Colorado may be starting pull ahead of the f150 a little bit being that the Chevy is about 5 grand less than the Ford with the optionsI need. But it's still up in the air, I like them both. Online appraisal of my trade shows Ford giving me a few more thousand for my 2017 VW golf sportwagen than Chevy. This could be a deciding factor also since I'm around 3k upside down on the trade in. We will have to see who can give the better deal, It would nice nice to see that differential erased since I'm buying brand new, maybe one of them can make that happen.

Originally Posted By: jhs914
My 2 cents

Rod
The V6 has been completely redesigned for 2017. It uses a different timing chain design. Same as the new Camaro/Cadillac V6. http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lgx/

Camshaft drive: all-new, with a simpler design featuring two chains and six sprockets vs. the previous three chains and nine sprockets, with lower chain loads, which enhances durability. The lower tension of the chain drive, along with cushioned ring sprockets, also reduces noise and vibration.

Also the new truck uses an eight speed automatic transmission.

My 2017 V6 auto gets an average of 25 mpg in suburban/rural/city driving. I love the truck. I went from a full size GMC Sierra and the smaller truck is a joy to drive.

Also gets GM's award winning displacement on demand for 2017. LOL

That has not been a problem on my Canyon. The display will show if it is V6 or V4 mode. Mine is never in V4 mode unless off the gas and coasting and even then only occasionally. I think DOD is carried over from the Camaro/Caddy design because it is cheaper to leave it in than to redesign the engine.

With the truck always in V6 mode if under any kind of load I don't anticipate any problems from DOD.

Originally Posted By: FLORIDA
Is the 2.7 tt being discontinued? Seems like I read that somewhere. Upon last night and today's research on my local Ford and chevy dealers the Colorado may be starting pull ahead of the f150 a little bit being that the Chevy is about 5 grand less than the Ford with the optionsI need. But it's still up in the air, I like them both. Online appraisal of my trade shows Ford giving me a few more thousand for my 2017 VW golf sportwagen than Chevy. This could be a deciding factor also since I'm around 3k upside down on the trade in. We will have to see who can give the better deal, It would nice nice to see that differential erased since I'm buying brand new, maybe one of them can make that happen.

Doubtful the 2.7 will be discontinued. Only 5 grand less? Honestly thought it would be more. If Ford offers you 3k more for your trade I would definitely take that into consideration.

The only reason I bought my Canyon was because it fit in my garage. Had the F150 or Sierra fit, which I test drove to my house to see, I would have bought one of those. The Canyon just barely fits. I like my Canyon and since I don't tow anything anymore it works well for me. Trips to the hardware store and nursery are all I really need, with the occasional trip to the waste station.

Anyone else think the Colorado should just have the same 4.3 from the Silverado instead?

Just curious. Have you considered a Nissan Frontier. No AFM to worry about. No VVT. RWD. Same reliable 4.0 V6 they've had for years w/265 hp rated to pull 6300 lbs. Sounds like it would be perfect for what you're looking to achieve. And best of all, the crew cab model will run you in the mid to upper $20's depending on your negotiating skills. My wife didn't want two identical trucks in the driveway or I would have bought another Frontier instead of the GMC I ended up with.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but if all you need it move a kayak trailer you can put a hitch on a sportwagen and pull a light trailer. Or you can even get roof rack to haul a kayak. The trade in and purchase of a truck has got to be expensive and then you have much lower gas mileage. I have an older truck and a sportwagen so i can pick and choose when to use what and i don't end up using my truck very often. However it is really nice to have the truck when big heavy dirty is whats being hauled.

Originally Posted By: jhs914
That has not been a problem on my Canyon. The display will show if it is V6 or V4 mode. Mine is never in V4 mode unless off the gas and coasting and even then only occasionally. I think DOD is carried over from the Camaro/Caddy design because it is cheaper to leave it in than to redesign the engine.

With the truck always in V6 mode if under any kind of load I don't anticipate any problems from DOD.

The problems don’t show up until the warranty period expires...

Originally Posted By: dareo
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but if all you need it move a kayak trailer you can put a hitch on a sportwagen and pull a light trailer. Or you can even get roof rack to haul a kayak. The trade in and purchase of a truck has got to be expensive and then you have much lower gas mileage. I have an older truck and a sportwagen so i can pick and choose when to use what and i don't end up using my truck very often. However it is really nice to have the truck when big heavy dirty is whats being hauled.

I do have a roof rack on the sportwagen which has served well with paddle boards and kayaks under 60 pounds but I'm upgrading to a hobie tandem island sailing rig next year which is alot heavier. I'm also kinda worried about damage from salt water when transporting my boats home. I'm hoping to not trade the sportwagon now, my wife has finally come around to the VW and is willing to take it so that I can trade her 2012 hyundai veloster. This made me happy since the ford dealer I went to wanted to give me 13,500 for my 2017 TSI S that I just paid 22.5K for 9 months ago!! Love the wagon and glad it will stay with us now, hopefully.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
Just curious. Have you considered a Nissan Frontier. No AFM to worry about. No VVT. RWD. Same reliable 4.0 V6 they've had for years w/265 hp rated to pull 6300 lbs. Sounds like it would be perfect for what you're looking to achieve. And best of all, the crew cab model will run you in the mid to upper $20's depending on your negotiating skills. My wife didn't want two identical trucks in the driveway or I would have bought another Frontier instead of the GMC I ended up with.

I just looked at them today online, really liking the desert runner. Only thing I don't like is the 22mpg vs the full size ford ecoboosts 26/ or the colorado 25mpg. I was going to make a post about new frontier reliabilty but since you mentioned them I will ask here. What is the consensus of the Frontier 4.0 nowadays?

The Honda Ridgeline only manages 22 mpg and it doesn't have the traditional body on frame construction. But is full time AWD, so maybe that's the difference. Sometimes manufacturers can get a little too optimistic when quoting mpgs. Maybe you can rent some of the trucks you're interested in for a week to see how they perform.

edit: looks like 21 mpg combined for the 2017 Ridgeline.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back