126k Lexus is350 stopped burning oil??? w pics

So with this happening to my engine and it not burning oil would I just be a lucky duck or is it a rare phenomenon? Im assuming the oil had some affect on it but would the consensus be that the redlines Ive done to it was the biggest factor for this toyota engine?
And thanks to everyone for your replies I havent ever seen this happen to an engine of mine before that stopped burning oil by itself so its just suprising to me, and I will do one more oci and verify if it doesnt burn for a whole 5k and update this post in the next 6 months or so.

My guess is wallmart overfilled you're vehicle by a whole quart and it's now still even showing 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart overfill which should be ok but there is no way know it's not burning Any oil being they obviously overfilled it. I would do the next change myself and get it parked where you normally check your oil and let it settle before topping it off right to the line. If you do this with a hot engine it will Completely settle in 10/15 minutes. Then by checking it in that same spot after it has settled takes out all of the variables where you will know if it's stoped burning any oil for sure.

Originally Posted by R1jake
My guess is wallmart overfilled you're vehicle by a whole quart and it's now still even showing 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart overfill which should be ok but there is no way know it's not burning Any oil being they obviously overfilled it. I would do the next change myself and get it parked where you normally check your oil and let it settle before topping it off right to the line. If you do this with a hot engine it will Completely settle in 10/15 minutes. Then by checking it in that same spot after it has settled takes out all of the variables where you will know if it's stoped burning any oil for sure.

Its interesting that you say this because the last oci was done at the same walmart and they filled it slightly above the full mark just like in the picture I have but it did burn oil the last time, but your correct I will have another shop do it this time since they wont overfill so I know the exact amount going in.

Update
So I reached the 5k mark and I need to do the oil change, in the 500 mile range after I posted these pics I drove the vehicle in the manual mode 4 seperate days near or above 100F with some WOT just to test the oil and now it did burn the oil a sliver below the full mark. I never drive the car this hard, since I keep it in D mode and not manual mode. What are your thoughts on this?
I think that if I didnt do those WOT runs the oil wouldnt have been burned.

Update
So I reached the 5k mark and I need to do the oil change, in the 500 mile range after I posted these pics I drove the vehicle in the manual mode 4 seperate days near or above 100F with some WOT just to test the oil and now it did burn the oil a sliver below the full mark. I never drive the car this hard, since I keep it in D mode and not manual mode. What are your thoughts on this?
I think that if I didnt do those WOT runs the oil wouldnt have been burned.
20200719_184602.jpg
20200719_184542.jpg

Let me attempt to clean this up. An IS350 takes 6.7 qts. I would bet my middle toe that they added 7 qts which is exactly what I do when changing the oil on the IS350 I work on. And it reads a a little high. You have about 1 cup too much oil (10 oz) which means nothing. I ain't gonna save a cup of oil and I ain't gonna waste it. Especially if my IS350 is using a little between changes.

Here is something else I found out with the IS350. After you let the oil settle, read the oil level on both sides of the dipstick and then go by the lowest reading. That will be your accurate level.

The oil level on the '09 IS350 I work on reads different on both sides of the dipstick. The oil smears up one side of the stick and will read higher on that side. You can flip the stick over and it still reads high on one side. At least mine does.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
You sure you didn't over fill it? According to that dipstick, its that way now. Sans that, Then I would say a few warm "Italian Tune Ups" probably freed the rings.

Actually I remember when I checked it when it was brand new and the oil level was still around that level actually.

See my above quote. They probably added 7 qts.

There's a weird stigma on this forum (and I say this with respect) about over-filled oil. My Marauder wasn't an oil burner, about 1/2 quart per 5k. The DOHC mod motor takes somewhere between 6 and 6.5 quarts to reach the full level after an oil change. I always put in an even 7, putting the level just the slightest bit above the full line. After 5k, it was dead on the mark. I beat on the car REGULARLY and it had 225k on the original motor.

Also, I have seen the Toyota 3.5 be an oil burner. It's not "known" for it, but the year of sitting didn't help. You should absolutely be beating on the thing, that's what it's made for. High RPM shouldn't cause increased oil consumption, cylinder pressure is highest at max RPM, pushing oil away from the rings. Low RPM, high load situations create an easier path for the oil to sneak past.

There's a weird stigma on this forum (and I say this with respect) about over-filled oil. My Marauder wasn't an oil burner, about 1/2 quart per 5k. The DOHC mod motor takes somewhere between 6 and 6.5 quarts to reach the full level after an oil change. I always put in an even 7, putting the level just the slightest bit above the full line. After 5k, it was dead on the mark. I beat on the car REGULARLY and it had 225k on the original motor.

Everyone worries if you overfill it too much the crankshaft will splash in the oil in the pan causing foaming and loss of oil pressure. Obviously, a little overfilled is no big deal so the question is how much is too much for a particular engine?

Also, I have seen the Toyota 3.5 be an oil burner. It's not "known" for it, but the year of sitting didn't help. You should absolutely be beating on the thing, that's what it's made for. High RPM shouldn't cause increased oil consumption, cylinder pressure is highest at max RPM, pushing oil away from the rings. Low RPM, high load situations create an easier path for the oil to sneak past.
Agreed many issues have been noted about the 3.5 burning oil, club lexus members have said its usually the rings and I do remember when I bought the car the oil did get consumed quite a bit especially my first 5k on it with an unknown oil in it. I expected the vehicle to consume a quart in 5k and I was accepting that fate until like you stated, I began to hop into some higher revs here and there since the car sat for a year or much longer (it had brake pad marks on the rotors my ASE Master tech prof at college said that it sat for a long time if this happened) and for some reason the consumption has begun to drop, if I remember correctly after oci 3 with PUP the consumption was half a quart. Im not sure why it burnt oil now after those high manual revs but it was 500 miles before the end of an oci so thats my reasoning.

Another update, so from the club lexus forums it seems the 06-08 is350s have a lower tension ring for the pistons and a few more engine design differences compared to the updated 2009+ models. I assume the rings are what was affected during my time driving and supposedly if its driven too easily and not opened up for awhile in revs it can start having ring issues such as sticking. With the car sitting for who knows how long it didnt help either but alas here we are, and also my oil consumption is currently on the 3k mark with the new PP 5w30 sn rating which has darkened in color a lot quicker than the previous PP oci.... new rating new formula I guess.

Most Walmart oil changes look the same as yours on the dipstick. Since they charge my girlfriend for the additional .1 qts over the allowed max for the listed price, my thoughts are that they're rushing the drain and leaving a bit of old oil in there. No big deal.

Most Walmart oil changes look the same as yours on the dipstick. Since they charge my girlfriend for the additional .1 qts over the allowed max for the listed price, my thoughts are that they're rushing the drain and leaving a bit of old oil in there. No big deal.
Some Walmarts extract the oil and no longer use the drain plug.

Alright this may be my final update, I reached another 5k oci and to my suprise it hasnt burnt anymore oil!! One thing I did notice was the valve cover may have started to leak overtime and I do see some buildup but for some reason my oil level hasnt dropped like it used to. Happy with this pup/pp combo and the high redlines which cleaned things up.

Back