10,000 miles on oil ? Think Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
State of Cali Fleet Admin ran extensive tests across their BIG fleet (60,000 vehicles) and determined that the bottom line is oil changes every 6,000 and filters every other change. That results in best longevity, fewest repairs, and highest resale value (auction). Seems reasonable to me
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MParr
BrocLuno
+1
The local county fleet maintenance division changed oil and filter every 5,000 miles on every road operated vehicle.

Fleet maintenance results (particularly of a large fleet over varied environments) may not be the best indicator for a successful individual program. Fleet owners often want to get the car in so that other things can be inspected. For instance, tires, belts, hoses, roof racks, trailer hitches and any other auxiliary equipment. Also drivers may be of vastly different mechanical abilities and inclinations to have service performed.

That said, 5000 miles does seem to have a consensus agreement among many fleet operators.

As to the original video, that person has never impressed me much, I’m frankly a little surprised he has been able to continue to use “Ford” on his channel. But he seems to draw conclusions that perhaps skip several steps along the way...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Depends on the application and driving conditions. The service my vehicles see would destroy oil long before 10K miles.

The reason for keeping the oil down to 5,000 miles is primarily for keeping the oil clean for the variable cam phasers (that have jillions of small moving parts) and the higher oil temperatures that modern engines like the Ford EcoBoost engines run at. Dirty oil that's cooked will kill the cam phasers.

Thank you !! No one wants to listen when I've said that choice of oil can make a difference on cars with variable valve timing. Subaru for instance says that 0W20 is required for their engines from model yr 2011 and forward due to the valve timing system needing a 20 weight and synthetic to keep that same valve timing system clean. But some guys are saying it's fine to dump in 10W30, 5W40, etc... apparently because in the past the previous generation of motors ran good on 10W40 or whatever. Ducati motorcycles got picky about oil once they introduced their ground breaking DVT variable valve timing motor in 2015. They used to allow 10W40 up through 20W50 but they adjusted the oil spec to 15W50 full syn only with the new variable valve timing engine.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Fleet maintenance results (particularly of a large fleet over varied environments) may not be the best indicator for a successful individual program. Fleet owners often want to get the car in so that other things can be inspected. For instance, tires, belts, hoses, roof racks, trailer hitches and any other auxiliary equipment. Also drivers may be of vastly different mechanical abilities and inclinations to have service performed.

That said, 5000 miles does seem to have a consensus agreement among many fleet operators.

As to the original video, that person has never impressed me much, I’m frankly a little surprised he has been able to continue to use “Ford” on his channel. But he seems to draw conclusions that perhaps skip several steps along the way...

Before I take the time to watch, can anybody tell me if this guy is nearly as funny as Mr. "Toyota Corolla S.....SSSPECIAL Edition" Oil Change?
The guy who was draining the FF at 16 miles or whatever and said he didn't know what it was, but it was garbage?

I run 3000 mile changes with Amsoil in my Geo Metro. Its cheap insurance and I sleep better at night. It has to be 100% PAO based or I will be using Mobile 1.

Mochaloco? Never heard of him. I’m guessing he is one of those YouTube stars where the video is all about them and not about the subject.

Hey Mocha, I hear Hollywood has a bunch of openings as of late.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
tig1 where you at?

grin2.gif

For those new to the board...

tig1 started using Mobil 1 5W20 in 1978, replacing the 10W40 that he was using at the time.

Since that time, he has clocked up more miles than NASA with 10,000 mile oil changes, with his engines running quieter, starting easier, and wearing less than any one elses.

You may now return to your normal programming.

I was a little surprised we didn’t hear Merk once again beat his drum about how Mobil 1 is the mother of all engine noise producing products.

I don't understand all the negative responses. When you take a look at the "Post your last oil change" thread, most members are changing out right around 5K miles with synthetic...and most of those vehicles are neither Direct Injected or Turbocharged. The reasons given? "oil is cheap", "warm and fuzzy", "sleep better at night". The guy in the video is, at least, a service tech working on Ecoboost daily. We all have anecdotal scenario to offer, including me. Those don't discredit what this Tech has seen. Just like we shouldn't discredit members who's UOAs show their specific vehicles can go further than 5K.

I think his video is for the average ecoboost owner that is not a Bitog member or follower.

The big difference there is that people posting their oil changes are not suggesting what others should or should not do.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I don't understand all the negative responses. When you take a look at the "Post your last oil change" thread, most members are changing out right around 5K miles with synthetic...and most of those vehicles are neither Direct Injected or Turbocharged. The reasons given? "oil is cheap", "warm and fuzzy", "sleep better at night". The guy in the video is, at least, a service tech working on Ecoboost daily. We all have anecdotal scenario to offer, including me. Those don't discredit what this Tech has seen. Just like we shouldn't discredit members who's UOAs show their specific vehicles can go further than 5K.

I think his video is for the average ecoboost owner that is not a Bitog member or follower.

There's a difference between performing an OCI based on your preferences and telling others that their OCI should be a certain length based on your opinion.

Most of thise who perform a synthetic OCI at 5k miles that they could've gone further, hence the excuses such as "cheap insurance" and "warm and fuzzy feelings". They aren't saying that their oil was spent and therefore not protecting their engine, which is what this guy is effectively insinuating.

Put it this way-if Makuloco was posting UOAs on his video that supported his blanket statement of 5K OCIs on everything, not just EB engines, I wouldn't have a problem. Maybe he needs to work for Jiffy Lube or Valvoline Instant Oil Change & recommend 3000 mile changes? Without any real proof, it's just another piece of internet bull shiitake.

5K on synthetic for me regardless of what "he" says. LOL

In graduate school I learned a lot about the manipulation of data. I rely more on "common" sense today. I'd do 3k on conventional. I just sayin'...

Ok, so let me have it
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Put it this way-if Makuloco was posting UOAs on his video that supported his blanket statement of 5K OCIs on everything, not just EB engines, I wouldn't have a problem. Maybe he needs to work for Jiffy Lube or Valvoline Instant Oil Change & recommend 3000 mile changes? Without any real proof, it's just another piece of internet bull shiitake.

Precisely!

I did think again; I went with a minimum OCI of 15,000 miles on my son's 328i- and at 108,500 miles the mechanical carnage is brutally evident:

That said, I do change the oil in the 2er at 10,000 miles, but that car has the N55 turbo motor.
What can I say? I like living on the ragged edge...
19.gif

10k changes on the fleet car by the management company specs.
OLM goes off between 6500-7500, we are instructed to ignore, and get it done at 10k.
Last change was Maxlife. So far it hasn't blown up, but pretty sure the leasing company does not care either way. They are playing a game of russian roulette... The number of oil related failures compared to the expense of changes at factory recommended intervals is obviously playing out in their favor.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I did think again; I went with a minimum OCI of 15,000 miles on my son's 328i- and at 108,500 miles the mechanical carnage is brutally evident:

That said, I do change the oil in the 2er at 10,000 miles, but that car has the N55 turbo motor.
What can I say? I like living on the ragged edge...
19.gif

It looks great. Here's my point and why I say it depends on driving conditions. I bet it wouldn't look so good or be as mechanically sound if you were making NYC and Long Island commutes with it daily, and stuck with that OCI.
wink.gif

I find most mechanics know nothing about oil other than it should be changed regularly. Take Scotty Kilmer's advice on oil for example.

If the guy in the video started pulling up UOAs or showing under valve cover pics and bearing wear I would give it a bit more credit.

With that said there are a lot of people who go way too long on oil and never change it on time, or use the wrong oil.

Originally Posted By: BrianF
I run 3000 mile changes with Amsoil in my Geo Metro. Its cheap insurance and I sleep better at night. It has to be 100% PAO based or I will be using Mobile 1.

Amsoil has a Taxi-Fleet test where they ran them in the dessert and found no wear difference between a 6K mile run and a 3K mile run. After I read this I started doing minimum 6K miles on my OCI's (Where the vehicle allowed for it).

Nothing but stellar UOA's.

I worked at a chemical company for 4 years and they had a fleet of 95 2012-2013 PentaStar equipped Vans and the OLM would say to change between 10,000 - 13,000km (6-8K miles) and these were heavily loaded and never saw the oil change at these intervals. They were lucky if they saw 20,000km intervals all on Bulk Dino. Fast Forward to 4 years later when they all had 300K on them and they were still running just fine. Only 1 suffered catastrophic failure and well lets just say it was the driver.
wink.gif

That said I'm about to get into the bypass game with the mega miles I drive and I will be changing at 60-70K KM's or when UOA dictates. I know this is possible because after a 10,000km 6,000 mile run without bypass the oil is barely touched in terms of TAN/TBN etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back