10,000 miles on oil ? Think Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
So this YouTube "star" knows better than Ford's engineers who programmed their oil life monitors, and major oil manufacturers such as Exxon/Mobil who GUARANTEE synthetic oils (like M1 EP & AP) for 15K or more intervals?? Right...
crazy.gif

On occasion engineers screw up. I recall reading about GM reprogramming OLM's a few years back to shorten the interval. I read here recently that Ford bumping up a grade on some of their engines. My suggestion is avoid blanket statements like a good synthetic oil can go 10K miles. In some apps it can, others it can't. If you want to stretch an OCI, or be sure your OLM is right get a UOA and know for sure.

BrocLuno
+1
The local county fleet maintenance division changed oil and filter every 5,000 miles on every road operated vehicle.

I usually do an oil change at half the manufacturers interval but that is mainly due to me considering driving round London to be severe service.

And also because most of the family vehicles over the last 10yrs or so have been turbocharged.

But many people also stick to manufacturers intervals which in the case of the UK are much longer than 5/7000 miles.

16000 miles for many Jaguar Land Rover vehicles

18000 miles for some Nissans, like the Navara and Pathfinder.

12500 miles for loads of Fords.

18000 miles for the little 1.4 petrol Clio pool car our company owns.

Are some examples

I usually go over 15k on my MB ML320. Mobil 1 0-40 and whatever filter I grab off the shelf. 17 years and the oil is a light chocolate at OC. This car is garaged, shortest trip is 40 mi, engine takes 9qts with a filter change. Only once has the Flexible service system indicator told me to do an OC. If this is a bad thing, why is this engine still like new?

"The three-valve per cylinder V-6 engine, is equipped with a special dielectric sensor in the oil pan that measures the amount and type of contaminants in the oil, as well as how the vehicle is being driven.
When an oil change is necessary, the engine computer alerts the driver by flashing an image of a wrench in the bottom center of the dashboard. To the right is a message encouraging an oil change."

Last edited:
tig1 where you at?

grin2.gif

Sorry Merk, I believe in verifiable science, rather than gut feeling.

But I usually go 7,500 on the Sonata.

We will just keep trudging on with 20 years experience of severe police duty with 24k ocis and delvac1 5w40 .

I liked how he said it was his opinion at the opening of the video. He then went on to say why he felt that todays advanced engine technology need to have better oil and shorter OCI. I think he may be onto something.

I think there's a big difference between conscious decisions involving preventative maintenance for a fleet ( say at 5K-6K miles ) and a blanket statement to do or not do 10K mile OCIs...and there are likely "reality points" all along a spectrum in between and past that based on the application, driving habits, etc. BITOG being the land of the blanket statement, I can definitely understand the lack of openness to the idea of several different correct answers.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
No offense to him, but the oil manufacturers, engine manufacturers, other mechanics, oil analysis labs, etc say differently.

I started this thread at 5:55PM and you posted your first post at 6:00PM.

The video is 12:43 long. You didn't watch the video.
spankme2.gif

No need to see the video. You summed up the whole thing in one sentence in your post (ie their opinion). That's all some need to see.

I only watched a minute or two of the video. But I tend to agree with the video's notion of shorter OCI's as I value not having to do timing chains/chain guides any earlier than absolutely necessary.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Cooked yes, dirty? Isn't that the point of buying the fancy Fram ultra or similarly rated oil filter?

Well, I've got a FRAM XG3387A on my Buick but the oil is not crystal clear anymore. The oil has less than 2000 miles on it too. OLM says 53 percent. I'm assuming the rootbeer brown color is the dirt that got through the filter.

Originally Posted By: pkunk

"The three-valve per cylinder V-6 engine, is equipped with a special dielectric sensor in the oil pan that measures the amount and type of contaminants in the oil,...."

This is pretty hard to swallow.

I'd like to know what kind of "special dielectric sensor in the oil pan" does a used oil analysis as you drive.....

I watched it...waste of 23 minutes of my life...(yes, connection is laggy)

Look at this, look at this, look at this...therefore you can only run this long...now look at this, this is bad.

The intro doesn't lead to his conclusive statements, and the "jump scare" at the end to reinforce his statements aren't meeting same.

My Colorado has 15,000km OCIs, the Oil Change Indicator in short trip (ab)use would pull you up at 4,000 miles probably

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
No offense to him, but the oil manufacturers, engine manufacturers, other mechanics, oil analysis labs, etc say differently.

I started this thread at 5:55PM and you posted your first post at 6:00PM.

The video is 12:43 long. You didn't watch the video.
spankme2.gif

Love it!

i go 10,000 in my s10 make up oil is around 8.5 quarts im sure i could tell what is going on with uoa but nothing has got worse since then.
it uses the same amount since the day i bought it for 300.00.
i also run 10,000 miles on supertech filters.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
tig1 where you at?

grin2.gif

For those new to the board...

tig1 started using Mobil 1 5W20 in 1978, replacing the 10W40 that he was using at the time.

Since that time, he has clocked up more miles than NASA with 10,000 mile oil changes, with his engines running quieter, starting easier, and wearing less than any one elses.

You may now return to your normal programming.

Isn't this THE oldest discussion on the board?=
wink.gif
Just fuelled by a new video. And the conclusions are the same:
1. You can have sludge problems and broken add pack quickly if shorttrpping at full throttle in either cold or hooottt climates. This is severe dutu in most manuals and warrants what? Yep, like 50% reduced oci. So a 10k or 15k oci would be what that guy states.
2. Then how OLD is the oil (I mean, time in engine...) The both the oil, add pack are affected by the deposits and heat by chem reactions that is dependent on time. So maybe that short tripper should not only have shorter distance oci but also shorter time, which would make a short tripper reach even fewer miles. Race cars may very well be severe duty, don't you think?
3. Some oils are bad, but all applications need specific oils like small diesels with DPF needs something different than say an older v8 with a dripping carb or a new micro sized turbo gas engine with everything ic controlled.
4. sump size...
5. etc

But generally manufacturers have tuned in to longevity and the Saabs with sludge all over are much more rare now, and I trust the recommendations quite well now. I am only wary of one req and that is the 2yr interval, but maybe that's because I like changing oil. I just like it, period.

I have personally had two oil related failures: One lawn mower as a kid in the 70s. Just lost compression and died due to neglect. One BMW in 99 that seized a valve at 200k miles probably due to old bad oil/no OCI. I mismanaged that car while at university and lack of workshop space (and focus...)

Merk, and everyone else for that matter, um, how do I put this delicately.....well, not everything on the internet is accurate.

It’s YouTube.
Not TrueTube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back