0W40 Can Ruin A 5W20/5W30 Oil Spec'd Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The only issue with putting a thicker oil in an engine spec'd for 20 or 30 is that it will interfere with the operation of the cam phasers. I have seen this complaint many times over the years on BITOG associated with the Ford 5.4 modular.

So the Ford sits until the summer comes?

Interesting to note that Ford requires 5W-50 in certain high load versions of what is, in essence, the same engine.

Here is a quote from one of Fords Product Design Engineers:

Mike Riley, Product Design Engineer with Ford Motor Company:

Quote:
"Moving to 5w20 was driven by CAFE requirements. The company believes the switch to lighter viscosity 5w20 oils will reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 190,000 metric tons a year and reduce US fuel consumption by over 21,000,000 gallons a year."

From the Ford Racing Group:

FRPP Group:

Quote:
"DO NOT go back to using 5w-20"

The bottom line remains the same, the Ford Modular engine lasts longer with higher viscosity. The Ford modular engine powered million mile van, at 1.3 million miles, used 10W-40.

Last edited:
I did all of my research last night. After getting ready for my Drs. appts this AM, I made this post before I left. I am somewhat knowledgeable about the Q?'s I asked. I was just wanting to spread the joy with others to let them see what kind of Beez ES that's on the good ole interweb. As my OP stated, I have used ANY oil that I wanted to in my engine with NO problems yet! I found the "ARMCHAIR QUARTERBACK" opinions rather funny! I should have been more up front about what little I know, and don't know, to keep me out of trouble.
My next OCI is with some good ole Belgian and German Castrol 0W40 with a M1 oil filter.
Don't fear the reaper!

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Interesting to note that Ford requires 5W-50 in certain high load versions of what is, in essence, the same engine.

Quote:
"Moving to 5w20 was driven by CAFE requirements. The company believes the switch to lighter viscosity 5w20 oils will reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 190,000 metric tons a year and reduce US fuel consumption by over 21,000,000 gallons a year."

FRPP Group:

Quote:

The bottom line remains the same, the Ford Modular engine lasts longer with higher viscosity. The Ford modular engine powered million mile van, at 1.3 million miles, used 10W-40.

My trucks engine is a conventional V6. I can actually see all of my spark plugs. And, I don't have 30' of chain operating 4-8 timing gears. Oh, and the heads on my engine can be removed without having to remove the cab from the frame!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
My trucks engine is a conventional V6. I can actually see all of my spark plugs. And, I don't have 30' of chain operating 4-8 timing gears. Oh, and the heads on my engine can be removed without having to remove the cab from the frame!
grin.gif

This the rest is kill DIY B S!

To avoid the armchair quarterback handle, I bought 2 jugs of M-1 Euro 0W40 today at the Squamish Walmart. On sale for $29.88/4.4L , Canadian $ is 76% USD.

That oil and a 3600 Fram Ultra for my daughter's MIL's 07 Highlander V6. Last fall it got 0W40 Edge and the shorter 36xx filter.

I flipped through the 2018 3500's Duramax owner's manual yesterday. 6.6L; either 5W40 or 15W40 CJ-4 or CK-4, the 2.8L 5W30 or 0W40 Dexos 2.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Quote:

FRPP Group:

Quote:

John Hurst uses M1 5-20 in his Ford F-150 Mod V-8 and has 557K on his engine. Here is a clip of him explaining this. You may need to scroll down to his video. We still haven't seen engine problems or high metal counts in UOAs with 20wt oils.
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-...mal-performance

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
John Hurst uses M1 5-20 in his Ford F-150 Mod V-8 and has 557K on his engine. Here is a clip of him explaining this. You may need to scroll down to his video. We still haven't seen engine problems or high metal counts in UOAs with 20wt oils.

I watched it through three times, and he doesn't explain much at all...not his oil choice, the justification, or how 0W40 would have destroyed his engine.

What am I missing ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
What am I missing ?

550,000 highway miles at low RPM. Driving conditions way down in the lower LH corner.

The "Underground Racing" video (just below the pilot truck video) pouring 15W-50 into the engine is better. Maybe they better try some 0W-16 for a few more HP and save 5 oz of gas on that speed run.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1

I watched it through three times, and he doesn't explain much at all...not his oil choice, the justification, or how 0W40 would have destroyed his engine.

What am I missing ?

Yep,same here. I don't hear him mention 5W20 at all.

They filmed a jug of 5w20 in the bed and on the truck … just move on if it means nothing to you …

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What am I missing ?

550,000 highway miles at low RPM. Driving conditions way down in the lower LH corner.

The "Underground Racing" video (just below the pilot truck video) pouring 15W-50 into the engine is better. Maybe they better try some 0W-16 for a few more HP and save 5 oz of gas on that speed run.
wink.gif

Z06, I swear, if you cause me to lose my laptop.........
I was drinking a cup of coffee when I read your reply and practically spit it all over my laptop!
grin.gif
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

https://www.castrol.com/en_au/australia/...ng-stories.html

Ken Dalton's piece is worth watching.

His truck is broken. The steering wheel is on the wrong side. And, he talks funny. Is that a lower Manhattan or Bronx accent?
25W50 oil.....Hmmmmm.......I wonder if I use that in my engine if I would have to buy a TORQUE MASTER starter just to get the engine to turn over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back