0w-40 for everything

You must be so much fun to hang out with. Didnt realize this oil forum was so stringent.
Because you made two contradictory statements in the same post and I want clarification? I'm just confused and looking for clarity which could've been done a few posts ago.

Because you made two contradictory statements in the same post and I want clarification? I'm just confused and looking for clarity which could've been done a few posts ago.
My thinking is/was that if i have 0w20 in my sump vs 0w40 and on a cold, -15*f morning, that the 20 would start to circulate faster, and in return begin to warm up faster. I didnt say by how much or how fast. Hell, maybe it warms up to 100*f , and then the 40 surpasses it. Maybe its 10 degrees. Maybe its 50 degrees( its not). Maybe its a minute. Or maybe 5. Point is. It circulates faster, and in return warm up quicker. At what rate, if any, i didnt know it mattered

My thinking is/was that if i have 0w20 in my sump vs 0w40 and on a cold, -15*f morning, that the 20 would start to circulate faster, and in return begin to warm up faster. I didnt say by how much or how fast. Hell, maybe it warms up to 100*f , and then the 40 surpasses it. Maybe its 10 degrees. Maybe its 50 degrees( its not). Maybe its a minute. Or maybe 5. Point is. It circulates faster, and in return warm up quicker. At what rate, if any, i didnt know it mattered
In my life, the term "significant" is a very precise statistical term that means not due to random chance - essentially it means "real". When someone says something is not significant, it means it is due to random chance, that it's not a "real" difference, hence my confusion when you said there was a difference but not a real difference. I appreciate you taking the time to explain your thoughts.

You stated it would heat up faster and then immediately concede any difference isn't a real difference, all in the same post.

If it is signific.ant it means there is a real difference. If it is not significant then it means no real difference exists. It strikes me as odd that someone would claim there was a difference only to concede there is no real difference and post about it in the same post.

Kind of like saying the car is red but it's not really red. It's a nonsensical statement because the car is red or it's not. The difference in how the oil heats up is either or real or it's not
. It can't be true and not true at the same time.
It's a paradox ...

The oil in my Ram hemi consistently warms up 50 degrees behind the coolant. And thats over the last 5 years with 0w20. I could leave the 0W40 in, and see if it heats up the same, or maybe quicker at 45*. Or slower at 55*. Or who cares. Lol. Going back to 20 for winter. Its parked in a cold parking lot during the night, and a different cold parking lot while at work. And i cant plug it in anymore ( plugged in, the oil would be around 32* and coolant at 65* when below zero at start). then the 50 degree gap would form, and stay there till the coolant hits 205. So. Just want to get the stuff moving and protected.

Last edited:
Again though it will not "start to circulate faster", the oil is being pumped at the same volume regardless of the grade. And at that temperature there is not the large viscosity difference you are imagining.

The oil warms up through shear in the bearings and this heat is transferred to the block. The degree of heating is primarily correlated to the RPM of the engine.

Again though it will not "start to circulate faster", the oil is being pumped at the same volume regardless of the grade. And at that temperature there is not the large viscosity difference you are imagining.

The oil warms up through shear in the bearings and this heat is transferred to the block. The degree of heating is primarily correlated to the RPM of the engine.
def: Viscosity is the measure of resistance to flow.

At low starting ambient temperature (and high viscosity) and moderate RPM operation, the oil pump high pressure bypass will be in operation.

Please reconcile.

def: Viscosity is the measure of resistance to flow.

At low starting ambient temperature (and high viscosity) and moderate RPM operation, the oil pump high pressure bypass will be in operation.

Please reconcile.

Yes, there will be a difference, the question really is how much of a difference and does it matter?

Besides there is a reason why bypass is set to work on pressure and not the flow. If it’s set at 100psi, the pump will go into bypass at 100psi regardless of oil viscosity because at that point there is more then enough oil flow in the system.

It’s a protection mechanism and just because the pump is in bypass, doesn’t mean there isn’t enough oil going through the system. That would be one stupid design.

Yes, there will be a difference, the question really is how much of a difference and does it matter?

Besides there is a reason why bypass is set to work on pressure and not the flow. If it’s set at 100psi, the pump will go into bypass at 100psi regardless of oil viscosity because at that point there is more then enough oil flow in the system.

It’s a protection mechanism and just because the pump is in bypass, doesn’t mean there isn’t enough oil going through the system. That would be one stupid design.
Then why do we even have different weights. Lets just all run a 50 if it doesnt matter

Then why do we even have different weights. Lets just all run a 50 if it doesnt matter
For the MOFT.

And it doesn’t matter as long as the oil has a winter rating allowing the oil to be pumped. The problem with pumpability is in the pan not elsewhere. Once it’s in the pump it will be pumped.

The only downside is an increased energy requirement and lower fuel economy. But as far as a technical problem there isn’t one.

Back