0w-30 HM?

hi! ive got a ford 4.0 sohc 300k miles. would you reccomend switching from the factory 5-30 to a 0-30? Ive found some but none in the HM flavor. would you reccomend switching to a 5-40 or 0-40 too? theres a couple monor leaks so thats why i use HM. also ive heard sometimes diesel oil is good? lastly, what oil filter would you reccomend? i used the fram ph8a previously but seeing some youtube videos has made me wonder if that was a good choice...

Diesel oil is sometimes used in high performance gasoline engines where it sees more stress, but it ain't HM oil. I've never seen HM oil as 0w-XX. Usually it's 5w-XX or 10w-XX. If it's burning little to no oil and sounds smooth, I'd just stick with 5w-30. Go 10w-40 if it does have those problems.

I'd take a look at Pennzoil HM, Pennzoil Platinum HM, or Mobil 1 HM with a standard Wix oil filter. My personal favorite HM oil is Royal Purple HMX for reducing piston slap noise I had in my LS, but its pricey.

That engine was one of the exceptions Ford found didn't do well with 5W-20. That makes me suspect thicker might be better in that application. I would use 0W-40 if I needed to do -20F cold starts. In the south where I live it would get M1 10W-30 HM which is a 3.5 HTHS like a A3 Euro 30.

That engine was one of the exceptions Ford found didn't do well with 5W-20. That makes me suspect thicker might be better in that application. I would use 0W-40 if I needed to do -20F cold starts. In the south where I live it would get M1 10W-30 HM which is a 3.5 HTHS like a A3 Euro 30.
Our 4.0 Mustang always gets 10W30.

I thought I remember reading years back that the Cologne 4.0L that was put in the Explorers for many years was engineered from Germany and specifically to use a 5w30 oil. I know when my 2006 started using some oil in between its 5k OCIs -- I jumped up to 10W30 and that eliminated oil consumption until I sold it with 180,xxx miles.

I thought I remember reading years back that the Cologne 4.0L that was put in the Explorers for many years was engineered from Germany and specifically to use a 5w30 oil. I know when my 2006 started using some oil in between its 5k OCIs -- I jumped up to 10W30 and that eliminated oil consumption until I sold it with 180,xxx miles.

I suspect it was a 3.5 HTHS 5W-30 given the location and time but I have no proof only supposition.

Back