09 ford flex mercon lv? Ok or not enough lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schaeffer 167 except do they only sell that in Bulk? Just like the MOLY. Always been a firm believer in MOLY. But I think I will not use OEM fluid. Want something with extra protection since this PTU holds a whopping 2 QT's.

I did my first D&F waaay too late on my 2011 Fusion 6F35 at 90k. It had started to hang on upshifts and bang on downshifts. I did D&F like the Honda manual prescribes for my Odyssey- drain, fill, drive for about 5 minutes, drain, fill, repeat 4x total times. I used Amsoil ATL for my D&Fs even though it likely drained some good ATL in the process... and 30k later, the ATL is just as red and clear as it was once I had D&F for the final time. I haven't done a UOA yet on the ATL but will likely drain it (just one single 4qt D&F) as soon as the weather warms up and dries up a bit... but the trans shifts as good now at 120k as it did at 19k when I got the car.

Personally, I haven't used and won't use the Mercon. I haven't read anything that gives me enough confidence in that fluid- I would use Maxlife before I used Mercon LV. JMHO.

Originally Posted By: jeremy34756
Schaeffer 167 except do they only sell that in Bulk? Just like the MOLY. Always been a firm believer in MOLY. But I think I will not use OEM fluid. Want something with extra protection since this PTU holds a whopping 2 QT's.

I don't think your PTU holds 2 qts. It's more like only 17-18 oz. That's a big part of the problem and being close to the exhaust system, a BAD combination. If you're not going to use the Motorcraft 75W-140 gear oil for the PTU then use something extra robust like Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 or Red Line 75W-140. Either of them should work better than any other 75W-140 synthetic gear oil with this PTU. I just purchased the Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 oil which I'll be installing soon. Let me know how you make out.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo

Personally, I haven't used and won't use the Mercon. I haven't read anything that gives me enough confidence in that fluid- I would use Maxlife before I used Mercon LV. JMHO.

We're under ford's ESP warranty for 7 years or 125,000 miles and we have just about 20,000 miles on it now. And the Explorer is just 1 year old. So I'm going to stick with the Motorcraft Mercon LV at least until the warranty is over. I did the first drain and fill at 12,200 miles and will do the second when the odo is at 25,000 miles then every 25,000 after that. I get the Motorcrat Mercon LV from Rock Auto for $60, delivered, for a case of 12, $5/qt. It's so easy to do a d&f with this transmission. And since I started doing d&f's early I should avoid having worn fluid and junk floating around and clogging the internal filter. Thanks for sharing your experience with Maxlife, after the warranty that's worth keeping in mind.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back