08 Sierra Rear Axle Service

The "G-80" GM RPO code has been used, unfortunately, for many different differentials in many different applications over the decades.

Because the OP is referring to his mid-2000s GM truck, the G-80 RPO option induced the "Gov-Lock" for use (aka the Eaton M-locker; as shown above). I know of what I speak; I had a 2006 3500HD for a decade and serviced the diffs a couple of times. That "Gov-Lock" was not-so-affectionately known as the "Gov-Bomb" because they had a propensity to grenade themselves under severe off-road use; the "locking" function was so fast and harsh they often just exploded the internal goods when used hard. On-road, they last a fair bit longer. In theory, they should be a good unit. In reality, they were a bit of a risk.

In a simplistic description, these Gov-Lock (M-Lock) units are a limited-slip clutch system when in "normal" mode; the clutches are always slipping to allow the differential to have a low bias for normal daily driving. Then when high-bias is needed, the flyweight locks immediately upon a 100rpm delta (as seen in the video), and those cam-ramps slam the clutch pack tight, causing a shock to the internals and the axle. Oddly enough, though it's called a "locker", it's still just a clutch pack and enough driveline torque can still overcome the clutches, so it ends up slipping anyway, (or shattering components internally).

When new(er), the Gov-lock can provide some fairly high bias in "lock" mode. But as the clutches wear, the have almost no bias in the normal mode and not much more in the "lock" mode (essentially, they don't "lock" nearly as tight as they did when new). This is all because, at its core, it is in fact a limited slip unit and not a true "locker". (not like an air-locker or Detroit locker).

OP; yes the Mobil 1 gear oil has some L/S friction modifier additives and would be fine to use.

I have used Delvac 1 in G80’s for many years - they have performed as designed both on and off road …

Irony of seeing this thread as I get ready to bring my moms 2008 Chevy Silverado to the dealer to do this very service.

I’d do it but I’d heard from someone my nephew brought it to that they couldn’t crack open the fill plug. Plus I don’t have a place to do it as my Mini is hogging up my workspace. 😁

I have an OEM cover and gasket as the original is rusted out and drips in a couple of areas.

I’ll let them worry about what to use as it is one of theirs after all. 😎

Gasket or RTV...hmmm...either is good. It depends on how much working room you have and your manual dexterity...if you are not careful with RTV, it can get messy fairly quick...almost like anti-seize.

I also will recommend a Lubelocker gasket. I used one on the rear diff on my 2014 Mustang GT when I installed an aluminum cover on it. It originally had RTV on it.

Back