02 Camry Solara filter refuses to budge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a Solara and swapped out the PCV, Tranny fluid, Motor oil, and I'm stuck on the filter. Have been for 2 days. It's a Fram from Wal-Mart's TLE. I have tried several cup wrench sizes, and I've got the perfect one that literally sticks on a new filter and does not spin freely. It's super tight even on the filter on the car. But once I snap the socket end on to turn it, it just grinds and comes off sideways.

For those that don't know, the filter placement on these things is absolutely wretched. I feel i may have to take the intake off to get to the filter. Worst case scenario, what if I just left that thing on forever? Probably has been already.

I'm so ticked. Any advice? I'm using a 3/8" Drive socket with a 6" extension (the only one that will get in there because 3" is too short and longer than 6" is too long. Is there a 5"?) and a properly fitting filter cup. Can't get an adjustable claw grip wrench in there either, because there's not enough room to twist the big handle and jaws to get it off. Thanks

Try something like this? http://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-...ench/548382_0_0

I've got one that I only ever use on really tight filters. Never fails to spin the filter off. The more lefty-loosey pressure you put on it, the tighter it grabs. It may crush the filter and mangle it some, but it always gets them turning.

Try using a longer wrench (assuming what you've got is just a standard size 3/8 ratchet) for more torque.

Last edited:
I haven't found a filter yet that I couldn't bust loose with my cheap fabric strap wrench.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I always had an easier time removing a warm to hot filter versus a cold one.

I'd try a breaker bar on it, maybe adapt to 1/2" drive. That adapter plus the 3" extension will get you close to the 5" you want.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Desperate times call for desperate measures. I know I'll most likely get flak for this but... just shove a screw driver thru it...

This

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
I feel i may have to take the intake off to get to the filter.

Uh...what? Your Solara has the 1MZ-FE engine, and the oil filter is right under the front exhaust manifold:
XSYoQn7.jpg

Remove the exhaust manifold heat shields and it is much easier to get various tools on the filter, takes five minutes. Three screws 10mm I believe. I have changed the same year and model engine many times, and even though I hand tighten only, it always is much tighter to remove. When I can't do it with a cap wrench I take of the heat shields and use cruder tools of some sort.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
For what it's worth, I always had an easier time removing a warm to hot filter versus a cold one.

That is good advice but in order to get to the filter I have to reach through some hot pipes and I've already scalded myself once. I'll have to remove it cool. Like I said, really terrible design on Toyota's part.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
I feel i may have to take the intake off to get to the filter.

Uh...what? Your Solara has the 1MZ-FE engine, and the oil filter is right under the front exhaust manifold:
XSYoQn7.jpg

Yeah that's it alright. I named the wrong "part to take off". Its so tight in there, like no room. How'd you do it man? Whats your method?

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Remove the exhaust manifold heat shields and it is much easier to get various tools on the filter, takes five minutes. Three screws 10mm I believe. I have changed the same year and model engine many times, and even though I hand tighten only, it always is much tighter to remove. When I can't do it with a cap wrench I take of the heat shields and use cruder tools of some sort.

[censored]. Good thing I ordered some bosch long distance filters.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
What about one of these ?

That design is the best. It's even better than the three prong design because it has more surface area. Has never failed me yet. Once it is locked on something is going to give.

Bought mine from Walmart, and it was Fram branded. Cost about $8 out the door. Did not see them in stock in my local store last time I was there, but they could have been out of stock since there were some empty spots.

Yeah that's it alright. I named the wrong "part to take off". Its so tight in there, like no room. How'd you do it man? Whats your method?

As others have posted, the Lisle 63600 is excellent. $11.99 at your local Advance Auto.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Desperate times call for desperate measures. I know I'll most likely get flak for this but... just shove a screw driver thru it...

This

X3

One thing I've heard works is wrapping a strip of sandpaper or emery around the filter (and using a slightly larger cap wrench presumably) will prevent the cap wrench coming off. Never had to do that myself.

I'd think twice about putting a screw driver through the filter. I did that once and the filter just started to tear. I was really stuck then, so I bought a metal band wrench that tightened progressively around the filter to finally get it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back