Recent Topics
Whose online - Forum Stats
by 285south
1 minute 52 seconds ago
Which oil can go 5K without causing varnish?
by Merkava_4
19 minutes 14 seconds ago
switched oils and no more consumption
by ram_man
Today at 08:31 PM
High miles but new seals - HM or straight syn?
by natenkiki2004
Today at 08:30 PM
Low-friction Engine Oil
by Koz1
Today at 08:22 PM
Changing my opinion on CVTs - I kind of like them!
by Miller88
Today at 08:00 PM
Recent discovery about MAC sockets
by Merkava_4
Today at 07:29 PM
Last Night's Dinner
by Pop_Rivit
Today at 06:06 PM
Holiday Roadtrip To-Do's
by gathermewool
Today at 05:58 PM
185/65/15 to 205/65/15 on Nissan Versa
by wn1998
Today at 05:30 PM
Bought life insurance lately?
by Cadenza
Today at 05:24 PM
What Oil Are You?
by 84zmyfavorite
Today at 05:20 PM
Newest Members
consolidated, mike_a, dlayman, BRader, GuySir
52259 Registered Users
Who's Online
97 registered (285south, 390pi, 29662, 01rangerxl, 2010_FX4, 13 invisible), 1319 Guests and 218 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
52259 Members
66 Forums
223766 Topics
3548932 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG
Page 6 of 506 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 505 506 >
Topic Options
#375906 - 01/23/04 08:27 AM Re: Investors....come in please!
Amkeer Offline

Loc: Florida
Rick,

You need to have a plan before you get in and stick with it. The criteria is dependent on your time frame and expectations. You need to be thinking longer term holds with your strategy. You CAN NOT trade in and out frequently since you will lose money! Your trade costs will eat you alive! So stick to your original plan and read the links and learn as much as you can. This is a decent market! Be patient!

I wish I could tell you more but you will have to read and learn.

I use moving averages to time exits and entries. What charts are you looking at?

[ January 24, 2004, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: Amkeer ]

#375907 - 01/23/04 08:40 AM Re: Investors....come in please!
Last_Z Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Amkeer,
I'm trying to be a long term investor. I've been very disciplined so far (until my big screw up the other day) and intend to stay that way.
I agree with you that with the amount of money I have in, I will definitely lose money to fees/commisions......again, my screw up alone has cost me about $45.
As for the criteria.....just wanted to get some insight as to how the "big dogs" do it.

I just noticed I was charged an S.E.C. Fee on my sells. What the hell is that?
It wasn't much.....$.05 and $.09.

Thanks for the advice! [Patriot]
Rick

#375908 - 01/23/04 09:29 AM Re: Investors....come in please!
Pablo Offline

Loc: Duvall WA - Pacific NW USA
So the silly Dow came down, what 55 or something today?

I still made money. I am not invincible. I already wrote my "rules", I break them occasionally and pay the piper.

Another observation or two:

1)I appreciate the Primus attitude, properly directed it keeps a cap on things, keeps the gamblers to a minimum, etc. Without it, there wouldn't be dreamers.

2) When the market is moving as whole in the "wrong" direction, you can't fight it in mass, step aside and be more selective, but remember the real winners today are the ones that were buying (again) in 2001, 2002.

3) Follow the IBD rules!

#375909 - 01/24/04 07:23 AM Re: Investors....come in please!
Willie Offline

Loc: Texas
quote:
Originally posted by David:
If you guys like a high paying dividend stock look at Impac Mortgage Holdings, Inc.(IMH)

I can testify to this stock (IMH)---good stuff. As to LU, I own it to, bought it at around $12 about 3 years ago--and then it tanked and I went down with the ship. I do think it will go back up, or I would have sold it by now. Will probably be mid-twenties within 18 months. If I had less tech stock in my portfolio, I would buy more of it. Bell Labs won't let it die, they're still a giant and have too much into it. However, I limit my exposure to tech stocks, for there are only a few with honest long-term potential and viable products.

I'm a finance major with a masters in financial planning and enjoy all forms of investing. Annuities are good for a small portion of a portfolio. Insurance is just that-whether it's a whole-life policy or an annuity. You pay high fees for that peace of mind and is not a good place for anymore than about 5% of your savings plan for those folks that are more than 20 years out from entering retirement. Financial planners love them due to the reciprocal commissions they earn on them (pays their kids college tuition). Anyway, EFTs are excellent to have and as well as a few mutual funds. I prefer Vanguard funds and IShares ETFs. They've got everything and SUPER low annual fees. Most, if not all of the planner-pushed funds have loads AND maintenance fees. This significantly errodes your investment principle. Any advisor that is whispering in your ear and showing you charts (biased I may add) that so "clearly" show that front-end funds are the better performer are laughing all the way to the bank. Find a good fee-based planner if you want professional advice and leave the commissions to pure stock brokers that should get paid for wise stock picks, not saving account mutual funds.

I enjoy and have success at buying stocks that I think are going places. Some of my favorites are: COST, CD, AXP, C, HD, IGE, KMX, NOVL, MSFT, RD, SGDE, TIVA, VIGN, CSCO. These are companies I think have potential for huge growth--some slow steady and some fast burners. However, all should do great in the next 5 to 10 years.

Anyone who truly thinks gloom and doom better stick their money in small coins of precious metals and jewels in a floor vault. That's the only real "money" if the economy falls and depression-like (or worse) events occurs. However metals and precious items should be a portion of everyone portfolio (like 5%).

Stocks are the best place for long-term investments. Commodities and futures contracts are for get-rich folks that have the time to watch the details 24/7.

There's my bit.....later

#375910 - 01/24/04 09:29 AM Re: Investors....come in please!
Last_Z Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Willie:
..... As to LU, I own it to, bought it at around $12 about 3 years ago--and then it tanked and I went down with the ship. I do think it will go back up, or I would have sold it by now. Will probably be mid-twenties within 18 months. If I had less tech stock in my portfolio, I would buy more of it. Bell Labs won't let it die, they're still a giant and have too much into it. However, I limit my exposure to tech stocks, for there are only a few with honest long-term potential and viable products.

Willie,
Man, I hope someone in the "upper room" hears you! I have 390 shares of LU....got 'em cheap!

Can you please tell me a little about Vignette Corporation (VIGN)?

Thanks
Rick

[ January 25, 2004, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

#375911 - 01/25/04 07:38 AM Re: Investors....come in please!
Willie Offline

Z

They're a software developer based in Austin,TX. In the tech baloon they were painfully high. I think there's a significant upswing potential to be 15ish in the next 6 months. More than 50% is owned by institutional investors--and they bought'em high. Since they've hung on to them even thru the muck, that says something about it alone. As long as the institutions hold'em, it will be strong. Right now, you can see it roll a few cents everytime it moves up, a guy with a some money could by a few thousand shares and download for a quick profit over and over again--not that I'd do that though...;')

#375912 - 01/25/04 07:39 AM Re: Investors....come in please!
Willie Offline

Z

They're a software developer based in Austin,TX. In the tech baloon they were painfully high. I think there's a significant upswing potential to be 15ish in the next 6 months. More than 50% is owned by institutional investors--and they bought'em high. Since they've hung on to them even thru the muck, that says something about it alone. As long as the institutions hold'em, it will be strong. Right now, you can see it roll a few cents everytime it moves up, a guy with a some money could by a few thousand shares and download for a quick profit over and over again--not that I'd do that though...;')

#375913 - 01/25/04 11:08 PM Re: Investors....come in please!
Pablo Offline

Loc: Duvall WA - Pacific NW USA
Time to take profits in Merck?

Wow inded IMH was a GREAT call!

Lu up decently today.

I could sell a lot of things today,..

#375914 - 01/25/04 11:11 PM Re: Investors....come in please!
GROUCHO MARX Offline

Loc: The Sandhills of NewYorkistan
FWIW, I bought another 500 shares of PGH. It's an energy trust in Canada with a 14% dividend yield that is paid on a monthly basis.

#375915 - 01/26/04 07:42 AM Re: Investors....come in please!
Last_Z Offline

willie,
Thanks for the info......I was reading the fundamentals a bit....sound alright. I'll see what Morningstar has to say about it.......if anything.

Pablo,
Yeah baby!!! [Big Grin] .......LU up $.34 plus another $.04 in after hours trading.

From MSN Money:

quote:
Lucent mentioned favorably in Barron's (LU) 4.11: Barron's highlights Lucent, which stock has gone from 58 cents a share on Oct. 11, 2002 to recent a recent high of $5. The article suggests Lucent's days as a purely speculative play may be numbered. The communications-equipment producer is making money again as telephone, cable and wireless companies boost capital spending. Lucent also has discovered the Pentagon's fat wartime budget; it has a contract with Bechtel for telephone switches in Iraq
Things are looking fairly good for LU, although it was annouced today of a "possible" lawsuit from some German dudes.

GM,
PGH looks good too!!...........500 shares??? [freaknout] .....I could also buy 500 or more, but I would have any $$$ left. A bit too pricey for me.

#375916 - 01/26/04 08:41 AM Re: Investors....come in please!
GROUCHO MARX Offline

Z, I'm ashamed to say I'm down about 380k from this time 4 years ago. I like to blame it on a 9 day stay in the hospital when the NASDAQ tanked in April of 2000.

The truth is I made 250k trading one stock and didn't immunize my gains by buying more solid companies. I never lost a dime on the stock that made me the dough, but lost on other speculative stocks.

#375917 - 01/26/04 09:08 AM Re: Investors....come in please!
Last_Z Offline

quote:
Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Z, I'm ashamed to say I'm down about 380k from this time 4 years ago. I like to blame it on a 9 day stay in the hospital when the NASDAQ tanked in April of 2000.

The truth is I made 250k trading one stock and didn't immunize my gains by buying more solid companies. I never lost a dime on the stock that made me the dough, but lost on other speculative stocks.

Holy $hit, man!! [Freak] I think I'm fainting! [freaknout]

That's more cash than I have made in my almost 11 years in the States! You know, Stalin was nicknamed "The man of Steel"......I think I'm gonna call you "The man with the steel ballz"
I'm sure $380k is pocket change for some out there....but not me though. Anyway, besides the hospital deal.....what else happened? Did it begin dropping and you thought it was temporary? Was it some tech stock?
Around Arpil 2000 is when all hell broke lose......I'm assuming you didn't foresee what was coming.

Sound like you are into this stuff big time, so I'm assuming you are somewhat of a pro. The markets are looking decent and profits are returning and cash seems to be flowing again. Terrorism is the wild card though......as long as we can avoid those, we should be ok.
Hope you don't mind my asking and hope you make you money back. [Patriot]

Rick

EDIT: One last thing.....nothing to be ashamed of. People make mistakes......it looks as if your mistake and/or event happen exactly at the worst possible time. Don't be hard on yourself (although it's easier said than done)

[ January 27, 2004, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

#375918 - 01/26/04 09:17 AM Re: Investors....come in please!
Last_Z Offline

willie,

I had $137 burning a hole in my virtual pocket, so I decided to buy 53 shares of VIGN. According to Morningstar.com, the stock is ok, although it seems I would have to keep it for a while before I can possibly make a buck.
We'll see what happens! [Wink]

Rick

#375919 - 01/26/04 09:18 AM Re: Investors....come in please!
GROUCHO MARX Offline

Z, I got lucky and the money is in a retirement account so there were no tax cosequences either way.

It made me think I was so nimble that I understood the market better than I did. I can't tell the number of people I knew in '99 and 2000 who were making 6 digits in stocks. I still hunt and peck for another one but I'm a little gun shy.

I figured that last year I made about 30% with 70% of my money in cash. If I had been invested I would have doubled up, but other health and personal issues kept me from actively investing/trading.

I had an idea to take most of my funds and but Phillip Morris at 18/share at that time when the dividend was 10%. I let myself get talked out of it and I paid for it. I just try to learn each day that I'm not that smart and that money isn't everything. Your family and friends will bring you much more in the long run.

I'm guessing you already knew that!

#375920 - 01/26/04 09:32 AM Re: Investors....come in please!
Last_Z Offline

quote:
Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Your family and friends will bring you much more in the long run.

I'm guessing you already knew that!

GM,

Those are very wise words and couldn't agree more. I love my family very much....especially my little angel . She's my life and I couldn't possibly make enough money to equal her value. We've been through some tough times with my baby and my job(notice my bag in the background after returning from a 5 month deployment.) I give a lot of credit to my loving wife which has put up with a LOT since we got married.

Anyway.....yes....I agree.....money, although needed, is really nothing!
[Patriot]

Page 6 of 506 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 505 506 >