Interesting oil filter TSB for Hyundai's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyundai has a TSB on aftermarket oil filters.

-

and the actual PDF file if you want it (same as the image).

I noticed no problem with the Bosch I used on my wife's Tucson for 2000 or so miles, and have only used OEM on my Elantra so far. I do have 4 Puralator Premiums that I got from Pep Boys on sale that I will be using eventually so I will see.
This is just probably noises that everyone seems to hear sometimes with different filters.

I have the Hyundai 3.5L 6 cyl. engine in my Kia Sedona. I use the Purolator Premium Plus filter. No noise, no problems, etc. I had used a Fram X2 (XG?), their "7,000 mile" oil filter. Again, no problems or noise whatsoever.

I think the marketing department has a excuse not to cover anything that may come in, that is engine related.I have used a couple types of oil filters without any noise.
dunno.gif

I run Purolator Premium Plus and Wix on our 2.7L. I have also ran the OEM filters from the dealer. I can't tell any difference in noise at all.

The only way that I have noticed more noise at start up is when I run 5w-30 in it (normally I run 10w-30 year round - just had some extra 5w-30 to use up).

I'm starting to think that Hyundai's 100K warranty is only as good as the paper it's on. They seem to be trying to duck out of it at every chance they get
confused.gif

I'm glad that ours runs great, and I can take care of it and don't have to rely on the dealer... I'd be poor!

Brian

quote:

Originally posted by Brian Miller:
I run Purolator Premium Plus and Wix on our 2.7L. I have also ran the OEM filters from the dealer. I can't tell any difference in noise at all.

The only way that I have noticed more noise at start up is when I run 5w-30 in it (normally I run 10w-30 year round - just had some extra 5w-30 to use up).

I'm starting to think that Hyundai's 100K warranty is only as good as the paper it's on. They seem to be trying to duck out of it at every chance they get
confused.gif

I'm glad that ours runs great, and I can take care of it and don't have to rely on the dealer... I'd be poor!

Brian

Say hello to:
MAGNUSON MOSS WARRANTY ACT

US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312

Unless they can conclusively prove the aftermarket stuff are harmful, tough luck...

I have an '03 Sonata 2.7 V6. I have a slight "throbbing" noise* when the engine is warm at idle with the headlights on - whether aftermarket filters or OEM. For Hyundai owners with this engine who want a seriously oversize oil filter, try the Purolator or Proline "14619" or the Wix or NAPA filters ending in "1626". Physically, these are about the same size as the ubiquitous PH16.

*only audible inside the car. If I step out, the idle noise is constant and normal - it's defintely not a rod knock or piston slap. I suspect it's either an exhaust or intake resonance at a slightly reduced engine idle speed.

quote:

Originally posted by steveh:
Who makes hyundai oil filters?

Hyundai - or a subsidiary - in Korea, under license from Mann in Germany. They're well made and moderately heavy filters and probably worth their $5.00 dealer price, but I've never had problems with ST, Valuecraft, Proline, or Purolator PremiumPLUS oil filters for a bit less, either.

Come on guys, this is not saying they are voiding warranties, just if a customer complains of ticking, replace with an OEM, but it is not a warranty repair. Many makes have this same issue, fixed by using different filters.

my accent does knock for a couple seconds in the winter time at start up.i hope you all won't get to mad ,using fram.

gj, my point is Fram is using cheaper parts and charging more than they should. Puralator Premium filters are around $2.50 @ Pep Boys, or even the Pro Line filter (rebadged Puralator) for $1.50 or less on sale, and IMO are constructed better.

I really don't have a problem with Fram filters themselves, just their price. Many people use them with no problems at all. Just why pay more for them when they don't deserve it? The new ST e-cores are probably just as good as Fram's, and are priced about where Fram should be.

Let me translate..
wink.gif

WARRANTY INFORMATION

Normal warranty procedures apply.
( Yes we know people use aftermarket filters. Hyundai warranties our parts, the filter company can warranty what their filter does. So follow standard warranty procedure if something major happens.)

This is not a warranty repair.
( Don't be a bunch of idiots and tear open a motor just because of a "knock". We're not warrantying all that expense just because someone complains of an engine knock. You don't need to waste engine diagnostic machines and labor because of a knock with an aftermarket filter. Change the oil, put on a genuine filter, and see if the noise goes away. If not, then evaluate the situation. )

Or something like that..
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back