Interesting RockAuto filter problem

Hi SC Maintenance,
It did. I might take a few pics the next time I'm there.
Hi SC Maintenance,
I went to Walmart for groceries and looked again at the ExtraGuard. I was wrong about the ADBV, it is now nitrile! WM had 1 left of the previous version and 5 of the new version. It looks like Fram has made 4 changes to the Extra Guard:
1. Replaced the silicon ADBV with nitrile.
2. Replaced the metal center core w/louvers to nylon cage.
3. Removed date coding on the filter.
4. Replaced painted on Fram logo with a sticker.

At this point, the Extra Guard appears identical to the Supertech Blue Can filter in these areas, plus the mounting plate and the by-pass valve. The items left for differentiation are the media and the end caps. See pics below for the changes.

20240210_103316.jpg

20240210_103120.jpg

20240210_103624.jpg

20240210_103724.jpg

20240210_104035.jpg

Hi SC Maintenance,
I went to Walmart for groceries and looked again at the ExtraGuard. I was wrong about the ADBV, it is now nitrile! WM had 1 left of the previous version and 5 of the new version. It looks like Fram has made 4 changes to the Extra Guard:

At this point, the Extra Guard appears identical to the Supertech Blue Can filter in these areas, plus the mounting plate and the by-pass valve. The items left for differentiation are the media and the end caps. See pics below for the changes.
So the "new" PH7317 looks identical to the old PH2867XL champ I have in my drawer.

At one point the blue Supertech had a Silicon ADBV, but appears that one has changed also.

Thanks for the post!!

...At one point the blue Supertech had a Silicon ADBV, but appears that one has changed also.....
MP series supposed to have silicone adbv, OG blue-is or orange and that's what I've seen when I've checked several including the MP7317. Went through a phase when FB using nitrile in instead, but based on what I've seen more recently back to silicone, blue or orange. That said, never take anything for granted, check to confirm.

Seen the Champ Labs made orange can ecore before, but' 'I think' majority still OG fiber endcap filters. Kinda like "emergency" Subaru OEM, went to ecore for a bit.

Hi SC Maintenance,

View attachment 202793

View attachment 202794

View attachment 202795

View attachment 202796

View attachment 202797
Thanks for the follow up!

Those are significant changes. Definitely have changed the media as well, not likely for the better efficiency wise.

Did they raise the price too? 🤷‍♂️

Are you certain the 4967 will work on your mowers? Same threads as common 3614 for OPE use, but sealing gasket dimensions different.

Perhaps RA will give you some kind of credit for the wrong filters received.
Yes my own mower with a Kawasaki and some of the zero turns I service with Kawasakis take a PH4967 sized filter. There are also many mowers that take the 3614 size like you mentioned. Of course I have a box of both sizes of Kawasaki OEM filters, so it's not like I needed more of them at the moment.

Makes sense, since the Supertech ST series is a cheaper filter than the Fram extra guard. Not horrible changes, although one thing that made me believe the extra guards were a good value was the silicone ADBV.

The Fram website states and shows the silicone anti-drainback valve and pictorially the metal centercore. The performance statement remains with 95% efficiency @20 microns. Perhaps when the rollout of the new version is completed and the old stock is used up they'll update the site.

1707591088000.jpg

1707591166422.jpg

1707591296437.jpg

Makes sense, since the Supertech ST series is a cheaper filter than the Fram extra guard. Not horrible changes, although one thing that made me believe the extra guards were a good value was the silicone ADBV.
The Supertech Blue can ST7317 is actually more @ $5.97. Probably because of its 20k rating vs 10k on the Extra Guard.

If Fram could get the media on the Extra Guard to 99% at 20 microns, hold the 10k life, nitrile ADBV and $4.12 price it would be the near perfect 5-6K OCI oil filter.

Dropped in to Walmart - bad idea even at 8:30AM on Supebowl Sunday. Bumper carts in the food isle.

The Fram PH7317 has also changed here - same as posted above - nitrile valve, e-core. So the question is - is it just a $2 luber finer in a orange can, or Champ XL with a nitrile valve, or some new hybrid?

The ST MP7317 were the old style - e-core with orange silicon ADBV. They had 5 left so I bought all 5. Date code 121322AB - which I can't figure out?

Last edited:
....The ST MP7317 were the old style - e-core with orange silicon ADBV. They had 5 left so I bought all 5. Date code 121322AB - which I can't figure out?
Should be straight forward read. Made 12/13/2022.

Next time in WM have check out the orange cans, who's making them Fram or Champ. Latter makes it similar to or same as current AAP Fram Drive filter.

I ordered 2 Bosch filters from RA for my son's 2012 Silverado 5.3 and neither would screw on, had to run out to Canadian Tire and get a Fram TG that fit just fine. RA gave me full refund and didn't want the defective filters returned.

So I started buying the filters I frequently use in packs of 12, as ordering them individually from Amazon or Walmart seemed to result in a lot of dented filters bouncing around in incorrectly packed plastic shipping bags, and time wasted returning them.

I ordered 12 Champ PH2867XL filters from RockAuto. The price was good, they seem like a good filter, and they would fit the 3 Hondas I service for my family members.

The filters showed up in 2 separate boxes. The first box contained 6 filters that seemed correct, although it is clear they have a nitrile ADBV instead of a silicone which is a bit annoying. The second box of 6 filters is clearly different. Even though they are in the same boxes, with the same sticker, they are clearly sized different with different threads. The date codes on them give it away, since one clearly says PH2867XL, while the other says HP4477, which is apparently a PH4386 sized filter. If it was just a PH6607 sized filter and would still fit Hondas I would be annoyed but wouldn't complain, but these won't even fit the cars I bought them for. 😵‍💫 I e-mailed RockAuto, so we will see what they say, but just proves once again you never know what you will receive when ordering.

View attachment 202681View attachment 202682
I would say that's a manufacturer error. I wouldn't blame Rockauto, especially since the boxes are the same.

I would say that's a manufacturer error. I wouldn't blame Rockauto, especially since the boxes are the same.
Yes, and no. It seems a lot of the RA stuff ends up being something someone else returned and the wholesaler is just trying to get rid of it. It would seem RA doesn't track or care which wholesalers do this sort of thing. So technically not their fault, but does seem to be more common

So I started buying the filters I frequently use in packs of 12, as ordering them individually from Amazon or Walmart seemed to result in a lot of dented filters bouncing around in incorrectly packed plastic shipping bags, and time wasted returning them.

I ordered 12 Champ PH2867XL filters from RockAuto. The price was good, they seem like a good filter, and they would fit the 3 Hondas I service for my family members.

The filters showed up in 2 separate boxes. The first box contained 6 filters that seemed correct, although it is clear they have a nitrile ADBV instead of a silicone which is a bit annoying. The second box of 6 filters is clearly different. Even though they are in the same boxes, with the same sticker, they are clearly sized different with different threads. The date codes on them give it away, since one clearly says PH2867XL, while the other says HP4477, which is apparently a PH4386 sized filter. If it was just a PH6607 sized filter and would still fit Hondas I would be annoyed but wouldn't complain, but these won't even fit the cars I bought them for. 😵‍💫 I e-mailed RockAuto, so we will see what they say, but just proves once again you never know what you will receive when ordering.
Do you have the box / ship from address for the wrong ones. I am wondering which wholesaler shipped the wrong ones?

Definitely a manufacturer error. I should've titled the thread "problem with Champ filters". I don't believe there would be any way for Rockauto to know without taking them out of the box and inspecting. The box they came in says "PH2867XL Qty 6" on the outside of it and was sealed and packed into another box for shipping, and the individual filter boxes matched the other PH2867XL boxes I received with the correct filters.

They are having me return them for a refund.

This situation is nuts, and is 100% manufacturer / production error. It's hard to blame Rock Auto since these filters have the same part number, but at the same time, I think they should have more awareness of what they are selling and shipping. Thankfully they are really good about returns.

This situation is nuts, and is 100% manufacturer / production error. It's hard to blame Rock Auto since these filters have the same part number, but at the same time, I think they should have more awareness of what they are selling and shipping. Thankfully they are really good about returns.
RA has NO awareness of what they are selling & shipping-it is all wholesalers doing it, Rock is just doing the marketing & paperwork. I have a small collection of Cat 3208 filters that were supposed to fit a 7.3 Powerstroke Ford/IH diesel because RA put bad info in their online catalog. They didn't want them back, didn't want to credit my CC, and got mad when I threatened to charge back my CC. So, with RA, CAVEAT EMPTOR!

my experience with buying most parts from Rock Auto over 17 years now is 4 items did not work for me...one was my fault and the other three were listed as fitting but did not fit or work...in all cases I had the choice of sending the item back (minus a small restock fee for the item that was my fault), using the item (I did in one instance an oil filter with a loose base gasket) or keeping the bad part and getting a full refund to my credit card or a credit to my Rock Auto account...

good luck with your interactions...

Bill

my experience with buying most parts from Rock Auto over 17 years now is 4 items did not work for me...one was my fault and the other three were listed as fitting but did not fit or work...in all cases I had the choice of sending the item back (minus a small restock fee for the item that was my fault), using the item (I did in one instance an oil filter with a loose base gasket) or keeping the bad part and getting a full refund to my credit card or a credit to my Rock Auto account...

good luck with your interactions...

Bill
They're not great at listing items accurately that they purport to fit. I learned this the hard way when they had an evaporator listed for an old Bimmer I was working on. Thought I had scored a huge discount. Nope. I had to pay to send back + whatever other fees go along with being blamed for ordering the wrong part.

Suppose my radar should've been going off when I saw it was $100 and not $600 as compared to OEM.

Last edited:
Back