Drove the Fiesta ST & Focus ST

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an invite to the Ford EcoBoost Challenge and had a chance to thrash on the new Fiesta ST (1 of only 12 in the whole country) and Focus ST.

Both cars were a real hoot to drive. Plenty fast, close-to-neutral, and very tight. The Fiesta was definitely lighter and more nimble but didn't feel appreciably slower than the Focus despite being down about 40hp. It definitely had better seats than the Focus, but they may be too narrow and tightly-bolstered for everyday driving. The interior was too "look at me" for my tastes. It was pretty easy to get up on 3 wheels if you drive it hard. The trick to enjoying that thing was to squirt from corner to corner.

The Focus was very strong and rotated far better than I expected for FWD. It felt more confident than the Fiesta -- very planted and always did exactly what you wanted. Truly a point-and-shoot kind of car; you need to drive it HARD to extract all the performance but it is quite rewarding at the limit. I found the interior to be a bit roomier and more upscale, but still really sporty.

I wasn't able to drive them on public roads or try the stereo, HVAC, etc, but when driven at 9 or 10/10ths, they're both excellent. Anyone considering a hot hatch should definitely drive them both.

1016804_10101989480801422_1145283145_n.jpg

Test drove a Focus ST/"The Azbo" when ford was doing the $50 test drive offer from the NYIAS this year.

I wholeheartedly agree...

How would one be invited to one of these EcoBoost challenges?

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Test drove a Focus ST/"The Azbo" when ford was doing the $50 test drive offer from the NYIAS this year.

I wholeheartedly agree...

How would one be invited to one of these EcoBoost challenges?

grin.gif

http://fordecoboostchallengedrive.com/

They're doing about a dozen traveling shows.

As an aside, I drove the top-of-the-line Fusion and the V6 Camry back to back. The Fusion was far sportier and tighter; Camry was fine, but really rolled and wallowed when turning (though I preferred its traditional gauges to the Fusion's busy electronic ones). Also had a chance to take the C-Max Hybrid out.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
And registered.

Luckily, the mets are away from citi field that day.

Let me know your auto-x time in the Fiesta/Focus. I had one of the day's fastest at about 29s flat.

Kinda wish i would have taken a test drive of a Focus ST before i bought my Mustang just to see what it was like. Sure i couldn't have lived with the power difference though. My main complaint about the ST is the Recaros that seem to have been made with a small woman in mind as they went way too crazy on the side bolstering for the width of the seat imo. I couldn't possibly drive any length of time in one the size i am.

Last edited:
Yep, the Fiesta ST's Recaros feel like race seats. I have to wonder if they're comfortable for long hauls. The Focus ST's are a bit less dramatic and are actually the same ones my S4 had. My M3's seats are quite narrow and heavily bolstered, and after a week I got used to it, though.

The Fiesta ST is in the vein of the old school pocket rockets from the past including the best of the best like the
MKI and MKII VW Golf GTI, and Peugeot 205 GTi..

I'd definitely choose the Fiesta ST over the Focus ST, it has everything you need and is smaller, very light and tossible and the price is amazing for what you get.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RamFan
How'd you get the invite?

My friend's father and brother work for Ford.

Cool stuff. The Focus has that rotating steering knuckle designed into the strut assembly, so no doubt it was handling better than the lighter Fiesta. Focus "Revoknuckle" results in a tighter SAI and scrub radius.
Check this out:
ford-revoknuckle-and-gm-hiper-strut-explained-article-inline-photo-382164-s-original.jpg

Notice the upper pivot point of the wheel is determined by that "upper" ball joint- or upper knuckle mount (not sure what it's called) and not the strut bearing. Pretty cool improvement for FWD dynamics
thumbsup2.gif

Article
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/ford-revoknuckle-and-gm-hiper-strut-explained-tech-dept

Last edited:
The next Fiesta ST? That's anybody's guess. Given the complexity and cost, I doubt it, but you never know. Since it tackles the issue of torque steer, it probably will be limited to just the high powered FWD cars.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Cool stuff. The Focus has that rotating steering knuckle designed into the strut assembly, so no doubt it was handling better than the lighter Fiesta. Focus "Revoknuckle" results in a tighter SAI and scrub radius.

Actually I think the RevoKnuckle is currently reserved for the Focus RS (not availabe in the US, not sure about Canada -- maybe Europe only?). The ST has a standard MacPherson strut setup:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2013-ford-focus-st-suspension-walkaround.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Will the next generation of the Fiesta have this Focus "revoknuckle" design as well?

Ah, don't they mean "king pin" ? Because that's exactly how a king pin works. What's old is new again.

Struts have limitations in suspension geometry. But, a typical double wishbone setup, with upper and lower "A" arms can achieve the steering geometry desired.

220px-Ford_08.jpg

kingpin1.png

Last edited:
10-20 years back in my life I would be drooling over one of these. Now not any interest. Ford looks to have done a great job with another good entry.

I have owned the "hot hatches" over the years including 82 GTI, 88 323 GTX(Mazda turbo AWD), and finally a 2003 WRX wagon. Age 39 turned into old man and sold the WRX and never looked back. I like fun cars, manual transmissions, decent great handling. However I want a really good/quiet ride too which none of these hatches will ever offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back