Rental review, 2023 F-150.

I love my work spec f150. The only comfort challenges I’ve had have been broken front seat cushion supports and getting the suspension right over the back axle.

the bottom seat cushion uses plastic keepers to keep the springs spaced properly. When most of mine broke, the springs migrated and I sunk an inch, over time. at 4 years old, mind you. Bought new cushion and replaced all the broken plastic bits with hose clamps, it’s good now.

the aluminum body leaves for a light vehicle … and the solid axle has a lot of unsprung weight. I’ve got a fiberglass shell on mine. stock shocks were blown in 18 months (towing?). Bilsteins wore out (rebound seem to lose all dampening) 2 years later. Settled on adjustable, tuned fox shocks - finally have a good blend between a tight ride without being harsh. With all that, oh and back-speccing to 18” factory wheels instead of 20, it both handles well and is a decent place to spend some time.

that said, Volvo ownership set the bar. And the f150 hasn’t reached that bar yet.
How much weight do you normally carry in that and how much do you tow? Mileage?

Is it normal and do you think it will last 200,000 miles with good maintenance?
Our 2018 work truck got a new transmission at 50k miles when it became nearly undrivable. They say the new transmission still shifts very rough at times but nowhere near as bad as the original. It's probably gone 20k or so on the new one. I don't believe it will last 200k miles but it's not getting regular maintenance or an easy life.

How much weight do you normally carry in that and how much do you tow? Mileage?
Truck now has around 65k on it. Normal weight is roughly 300 over the bed, to include the camper shell, and probably 50lbs in the back jump seat.

we towed a ~4500lb (loaded) TT a decent amount for its first 40,000 miles, plus a couple hundred pounds of firewood, almost all of it out-of-state driving. Other than that, regularly carried had an additional ~600 pounds in the back (within the camper shell) for a year or two every other week helping a friend with a project.

we parted with the camper a year ago, at about 50,000 miles on the truck.

You know I'm not a truck guy, but I understand that. The F150 was COMFORTABLE
I'm 6'2 and weigh on any given day somewhere between 265-280 - I just naturally fluctuate that way.

I've owned smaller sports cars, midsize SUV's, compact cars, and full size cars. When I got my 2012 F150 (long gone now) I said to myself, "I have found Nirvana, comfort wise" Me other half has a Navigator, which ain't exactly small, and has 9000 way adjustable massaging seats and all the options on the planet (Black Label) and it's still not nearly as comfortable to me as my current F150.

Back