New Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 SN PDS -2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bourne
You deliberately copying my thread buster ? ;-)

Maybe Bill can merge them. I thought it would get more attention this way.
11.gif

But bourne gets the credit for find it!
thumbsup2.gif

What about the MRV at -40 being 17700? M1 0-20 is 9200. Can someone explain this large differance? Isn't the lower number showing a more robust base stock? Just asking.

Last edited:
Quote:
FEATURES & BENEFITS
• Provides unsurpassed sludge protection1
No other leading full synthetic oil provides better wear protection3• • Exceeds the most stringent car manufacturers requirements for cleanliness and protection

Noack Volatility - 8.9% down from 12.6% previously.

VI isn't the end all be all.....there is much more to an oil than just the VI.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
FEATURES & BENEFITS
No other leading full synthetic oil provides better wear protection3• • Exceeds the most stringent car manufacturers requirements for cleanliness and protection

Noack Volatility - 8.9% down from 12.6% previously/

Yes..good to see they finally brought the NOACK down. AND....there is MUCH more to an oil than just the NOACK...like
the 40C, 100C, HTHS, and VI specs.....still looks like PP has a ways to go to begin to equal the Toyota, Mazda, and Sustina oils.

Here we go...PP vs TGMO comparisons. Yawn.
smile.gif

PP claims superior sludge/wear protection in two industry tests. I also like the low Noack.

All I know about TGMO is that it's light.

Quote:
and VI of an extremely LOW 164 doesn't even begin to compare to the Toyota, Mazda, 0W20 SN

Isn't it possible that High VI just enhances lesser base stocks to perform similar to better ones.
There maybe a problem with high VI though which is sludge when they break down.

I don't know but when you see top shelf oils with high end base stocks high VI doesn't seem very important to them when you look at the specs.
Quote:
still looks like PP has a ways to go to begin to equal the Toyota, Mazda, and Sustina oils.

Says who? It might just be that this blows them into the next ice age.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
Quote:
FEATURES & BENEFITS
• No other leading full synthetic oil provides better wear protection3• • Exceeds the most stringent car manufacturers requirements for cleanliness and protection

Noack Volatility - 8.9% down from 12.6% previously/

Yes..good to see they finally brought the NOACK down. AND....there is MUCH more to an oil than just the NOACK...like
the 40C, 100C, HTHS, and VI specs.....still looks like PP has a ways to go to begin to equal the Toyota, Mazda, and Sustina oils.

Actually the prior SN version already had a lower NOACK of 11.5%.
But I agree the drop in VI from 175 to 164 is a disappointment and is a far cry from the OEM 0W-20's.
Yes the 8.9% NOACK is low but Pennzoil has made the wrong trade-off in not first meeting the viscometric targets of the OEM oils it claims to be a substitute for.
Pennzoil have certainly miscalculated on this one just as Castrol has.

Quote:
Blend of synthetic hydrocarbon, polyalphaolefins and additives.
The highly refined mineral oil contains w) DMSO-extract, according to IP346.
The highly refined mineral oil is only present as additive diluent.

Could it be this is a superior base stock and it doesn't need High VI? You need to get this High VI trip thats used to give lesser products better properties and claiming it to be "the holy grail".
Just one from EM and there are lots of others.
Dance around this..
Quote:
Since viscosity index
improver has a tendency to shear and lead to deposit formation, products that need to use
more viscosity index improver are also more likely to shear and lead to deposit formation in
the engine.

http://thelubricantstore.com/customer/th...gine%20Oils.pdf

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Pennzoil have certainly miscalculated on this one just as Castrol has.

Yes, clearly XOM, SOPUS and BP are clueless.
smirk.gif

Maybe Bill can merge them. I thought it would get more attention this way.
11.gif

But bourne gets the credit for find it!
thumbsup2.gif

Lol I dont care man, just giving you a tough time. What impresses me is the low NOACK and how that might/might not be helpful. I believe DI engines will benefit more from the drop in NOACK. Yes the VI has dropped considerably, but like Trav mentioned, higher quality base stocks might negate the need for alot of VI improvers. Remember OE spec fluids are so high in VI because it helps with mpg rating and such. What I am interested in is how a low VI oil with higher quality base stocks help me/not help me to improve the wear on our new vehicle. For reference sake , here is how some of the popular products in market compare :

Rated by MRV :

M1 0w20 AFE : MRV @ -40ºc 9200
QSUD 0w20 : MRV @ -40°C 17,500
PP 0w20 : MRV @ -40c 17,700
Mobil Super Syn 0w20 : MRV @ -40c 26,800
Synpower 0w20 : MRV @ -40°C 30,000
Edge 0w20 : MRV @ -40C 60,000
Edge w/Ti 0w20 : No Info
Kendall Full Syn 0w20 : No info

BTW, spoke to Ashland today, they have Maxlife 0w20 available in drums already. Quarts to come next year.

Well let's put it this way:

Toyota and Honda, who build the most reliable engines, spec what they need out of oil.

Oil companies make oil to the spec of the car manufacturers.

Mercedes recommends Mobil 0w40 with a VI of 185

Toyota and Honda recommend their OEM oils with VI of 220+.

This lower VI PP oil meets the specs for Chrysler

I think it's fair to say that car manufacturers know what the oil needs are. Oil makers know how to meet the specs. Not what the specs should be.

My guess is that the low NOACK and the high MRV are connected. Excellent looking oil for those who don't see low temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back