Best oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a used 2008 Toyota Tacoma, V6, 2 wheel drive with 35,000 miles. I live in Houston, TX (hot/humid) most of the time. I changed oil and put in 0-20 Mobil 1 synthetic and a Wix oil filter. Is the 0-20 safe in the 08 Tacoma? Recommended oil is 5w-30.

I also have an 02 Tacoma 4X4 with 160,000 miles. Can I switch to synthetic or is it too late to change? Recommened is 5w-30.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
One question thou, is M1 0w20 the thinnest 20 you can find? May lead to blow-by and etc... if you are in a very hot climate.

Basically you need to read your owners manual first and let us know what it requires and then what type of driving you expect to do and lastly, if you are okay with extended drains or is 3k your absolute max.

I purchased a used 2008 Toyota Tacoma, V6, 2 wheel drive with 35,000 miles. I live in Houston, TX (hot/humid) most of the time. I changed oil and put in 0-20 Mobil 1 synthetic and a Wix oil filter. Is the 0-20 safe in the 08 Tacoma? Recommended oil is 5w-20.

I also have an 02 Tacoma 4X4 with 160,000 miles. Can I switch to synthetic or is it too late to change? Recommened is 5w-20. If I change now would it cause damage?

Thanks for the advice. My daily drive to work is about 6 miles against traffic. I do mainly stop and go driving during the day when driving once at office.

Last edited:
If the truck calls for 5W-20, then yes, 0W-20 M1 is a good oil choice.

You can go a LOT longer than 4.5k miles on an OCI, especially with M1 - try 7500 miles. It's a complete waste of oil otherwise....

Originally Posted By: mantignolo
I purchased a used 2008 Toyota Tacoma, V6, 2 wheel drive with 35,000 miles. I live in Houston, TX (hot/humid) most of the time. I changed oil and put in 0-20 Mobil 1 synthetic and a Wix oil filter. Is the 0-20 safe in the 08 Tacoma? Recommended oil is 5w-30.

Did you know it recommended 5w-30 ahead of time? Did you use 0w-20 for any particular reason?

if 5w30 is recommended use it. i wouldn't go thinner if 5w30 is the recommended weight. i may go 10w30 in the summer if i was hauling something but that's not necessary

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
if 5w30 is recommended use it. i wouldn't go thinner if 5w30 is the recommended weight. i may go 10w30 in the summer if i was hauling something but that's not necessary

Ambient temperatures alone have very little to do with operating temperatures when you are talking about heat. The OP is mostly driving 6 miles one way I would want to lowest possible grade of oil and 20 viscosity is low enough and still provides adequate protection under city stop and go conditions. I highly doubt a 6 mile commute is being the oil temperatures to maximum operating temperatures.

I switched to the 0w-20 at last oil change because of the good reviews I read on this forum. Just trying to find the best protection to keep the truck for the long haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back