2023+ Honda Pilot owners--check for fuel dilution

That car owner manual is part of your contract. You walk away from the contract, they can walk away.
What part are we talking about exactly? Where in the owner’s manual does it say that the warranty is contingent upon using a particular grade?

What am I walking away from?

If the car was a 22 I would of answered it differently. 23 and newer oil changes is under warranty. They don't even have to plug into the car it's all through the imid satellite odb3. I am not disagreeing there is a problem but should of taken it back to the dealership at 400 miles. That starts the ticket. He already changed the oil 3 times before the first one should of been done. Just like changing the oil to late too soon is also bad. The rings never broke in and won't .
Please provide any reference or statement that supports this.

What part are we talking about exactly? Where in the owner’s manual does it say that the warranty is contingent upon using a particular grade?

What am I walking away from?
I have a sample toyota owners manual, here it says "Recommended" so it might not be as strict as I thought. Also there is no notice not to use other grades. For example, for spark plugs it strictly notices not to use other than iridium etc.
In general, warranty is against manufacturing defects, not act of god, or misuse, or neglect etc. Here is a good article on it:

1700493506770.jpg

If the car was a 22 I would of answered it differently. 23 and newer oil changes is under warranty. They don't even have to plug into the car it's all through the imid satellite odb3. I am not disagreeing there is a problem but should of taken it back to the dealership at 400 miles. That starts the ticket. He already changed the oil 3 times before the first one should of been done. Just like changing the oil to late too soon is also bad. The rings never broke in and won't .
The rings break-in very quickly, and the engines are run-in at the factory, which reduces the required amount of time. Mahle states that the break-in period is within ~100 miles:

Of all the vehicles I’ve owned. I’ve never changed the factory fill early, especially Honda since they use a higher moly content oil. Non have ever experienced oil burning or damage because of it.
what was the latest model? new Hondas suck one way or another, they are not pre-2017 stuff

Last edited:
what was the latest model? new honda suck one way or another, they are not pre-2017 stuff
2018 Honda CRV with the infamous 1.5LT fuel dilution. Currently 2019 Pilot. Both ran down to 15% olm factory fill. The 18 we got rid of but that one had 1.5 qrts of fuel when I did the oil change at the 20K mark. The 19 has been great, currently 60K. The Toyotas…no issue with those.

2018 Honda CRV with the infamous 1.5LT fuel dilution. Currently 2019 Pilot. Both ran down to 15% olm factory fill. The 18 we got rid of but that one had 1.5 qrts of fuel when I did the oil change at the 20K mark. The 19 has been great, currently 60K. The Toyotas…no issue with those.
How could you tell if it was using oil if it was potentially making oil with gasoline faster than it could consume it? An engine that "makes oil" via fuel dilution is probably not the best benchmark in this situation.

I changed the oil early on both our HEMI's, neither uses oil, and neither fuel dilutes (good old port injection).

Factory fill was drained from the Jeep at 1,912km (1,188 miles)
Factory fill was drained from the truck at 1,150km (714 miles)

By the way, be careful telling dealer about the oil weight you use, they might attempt to void the warranty
They would have to prove that oil viscosity was the root cause. 0/20 5/30 no biggie. I’ve never seen an engine failure in a Honda from viscosity. I’ve ran up to 15/40 in ca in an older CRX that had over 300k. Honda recommends this viscosity in UAE in the mid 2k model years.

I have a sample toyota owners manual, here it says "Recommended" so it might not be as strict as I thought. Also there is no notice not to use other grades. For example, for spark plugs it strictly notices not to use other than iridium etc.
In general, warranty is against manufacturing defects, not act of god, or misuse, or neglect etc. Here is a good article on it:

View attachment 189422
Did anyone notice what it says? Recommend 0/20 for cold weather starting and fuel economy. A higher viscosity maybe better suited for high speeds and heavy load conditions. Telling you basically use whatever your choice is.

Did anyone notice what it says? Recommend 0/20 for cold weather starting and fuel economy. A higher viscosity maybe better suited for high speeds and heavy load conditions. Telling you basically use whatever your choice is.
Here is a Honda manual, says use a suitable oil "as shown here", which is just 0w-20

1700539884215.jpg

They would have to prove that oil viscosity was the root cause. 0/20 5/30 no biggie. I’ve never seen an engine failure in a Honda from viscosity. I’ve ran up to 15/40 in ca in an older CRX that had over 300k. Honda recommends this viscosity in UAE in the mid 2k model years.
I agree that they wont be able to show any issue can be caused by a 5w30 oil.

I know a few retired Honda techs and service managers who have told me the main thing they look to and ask for is proof of followed preventive maintenance like oil changes at specific times. Hardly ever ask for the weights of oil used as long as there is proof of called for oil change at proper intervals. Dont know if that has changed these days. This was 2015 to 2017 when they retired etc.....

Guys, rings break in at way less than 100 miles--any engine builder knows this. And please stop with the warranty nonsense--I'm a lawyer, and I when I say there will be no warranty issue, I can assure you there won't be regardless of what oil viscosity I'm using, and how often I'm changing my oil (as long as I'm changing it within at least the recommended interval). I'm not guessing when I say this. As to the obvious fuel dilution issue I'm having, I know it's a combination of short trips, newish engine, direct injection only, VCM, and perhaps software problems. It may also just be a bad engine design--we'll see. My post was merely to warn other 2023+ Pilot owners to watch out.

That's unfortunate to hear OP
I thought oil dilution at Honda was limited to the 1.5T, but it seems that's not the case 😔
And you're on the warm coast, with less cold starts and short trips
If anything, it's gonna be even worse in city bound short trip use 😳

I'd get it in and documented, maybe a PCM calibration or injector needs reengineering?

I know for the earlier 1.5T engines, there was a PCM update due to oil dilution and poor warm up/low idle speed

I wouldn't tell them about you're alternative choice in viscosity, solely as to not give them an easy out
I don't think it's contributing to matters

Maybe a UOA in a few months, for a measure of the fuel solution?

Back