Need Amsoil Recommendation for 2010 Toyota HiHy Limited..

Status
Not open for further replies.
All 3 options are good and doable. I may be the odd one out here and would potentially go with ASM for the solvency. Amsoil uses a good slug of V. However, if the engine was run on PP 5w20 most of it's life internals should be clean as long as the OCI wasn't too extreme.

Pfft... AMSOIL is "Gucci Valvoline", but not as good.

Get this instead in a three 5 quart box on Walmart.com or somewhere else for cheap, and run it with confidence, it's good stuff:

View attachment 174450

Sit back, relax, and enjoy life. There are better things to do than making AMSOIL rich, as the only thing AMSOIL is gonna do for ya is make your wallet lighter. What a marketing gimmick that one...
"Gucci Valvoline". How do you figure this?

You're telling him to "sit back, relax, and enjoy life", yet you're trying to tell him how to spend is own money and with which company. Maybe you should take your own advice.

"There are better things to do than making AMSOIL rich". Okay.. so you want to continue to throw money at Shell PLC, a foreign company valued at over 200 billion? Bizarre.. most people, when given the choice, would rather support the smaller, American owned companies, but whatever.

"What a marketing gimmick that one". Funny, Amsoil's marketing department spends pennies compared to Pennzoil. Someone here is falling prey to marketing, but I'm not sure it's who you think it is.

"Gucci Valvoline". How do you figure this?

You're telling him to "sit back, relax, and enjoy life", yet you're trying to tell him how to spend is own money and with which company. Maybe you should take your own advice.

"There are better things to do than making AMSOIL rich". Okay.. so you want to continue to throw money at Shell PLC, a foreign company valued at over 200 billion? Bizarre.. most people, when given the choice, would rather support the smaller, American owned companies, but whatever.

"What a marketing gimmick that one". Funny, Amsoil's marketing department spends pennies compared to Pennzoil. Someone here is falling prey to marketing, but I'm not sure it's who you think it is.
AMSOIL either buys base oils and additive package from SOPUS (GTL), Petro Canada, Chevron, Lubrizol, etc., or even finished products like Mobil Delvac 1 heavy-duty gear oil and resell it under their own brand. Either way, the big companies still get their money. It's up to the consumer if they want to spend money on a middle man. For any consumer-level products I purchase, I choose not to cut-in a middle man. Anyone should spend their money as they choose to. I only expressed an opinion and gave some advice. Let's leave it at that.

AMSOIL either buys base oils and additive package from SOPUS (GTL), Petro Canada, Chevron, Lubrizol, etc., or even finished products like Mobil Delvac 1 heavy-duty gear oil and resell it under their own brand. Either way, the big companies still get their money. It's up to the consumer if they want to spend money on a middle man. For any consumer-level products I purchase, I choose not to cut-in a middle man. Anyone should spend their money as they choose to. I only expressed an opinion and gave some advice. Let's leave it at that.
Lol, that’s all the explanation I needed, and all anyone reading “your advice” needed as well. Enjoy buying your foreign oil, manufactured to the lowest price point, for a multi-billion dollar company like Walmart, who’s definitely NOT a middle man between you and Pennzoil….

Last edited:
Lol, that’s all the explanation I needed, and all anyone reading “your advice” needed as well. Enjoy buying your foreign oil, manufactured to the lowest price point, from a multi-billion dollar company like Walmart, who’s definitely NOT a middle man between you and Pennzoil….
Are you suggesting that the oil at Walmart is different than elsewhere?

Are you suggesting that the oil at Walmart is different than elsewhere?
Across the same brands? Nope. However, I was mostly pointing out that his argument against certain oils could also be made against the oil he's suggesting others buy.

Last edited:
Across the same brands? Nope. I was mostly pointing out that his argument against certain oils could also be made against the oil he's suggesting others buy.
But you said it had something to do with a price point established by Walmart. I guess I don’t understand how that would change.

Mind you I do use an HPL product in my Tiguan but I’ll gladly go to Walmart for the rest and pay less than I would elsewhere.

But you said it had something to do with a price point established by Walmart. I guess I don’t understand how that would change.

Mind you I do use an HPL product in my Tiguan but I’ll gladly go to Walmart for the rest and pay less than I would elsewhere.
No, I said it was manufactured to a price point, and then sold by Walmart. As if Walmart wasn't a middle man, as he was saying he avoids.

Edit: Walmart was just an example. I could've just as easily said Amazon, Advanced Auto, O'Reilly's, etc.

Second edit: just realized I typed "from" and not "for". My apologies.

Last edited:
No, I said it was manufactured to a price point, and then sold by Walmart. As if Walmart wasn't a middle man, as he was saying he avoids.

Edit: Walmart was just an example. I could've just as easily said Amazon, Advanced Auto, O'Reilly's, etc.

Second edit: just realized I typed "from" and not "for". My apologies.
That's Walmart's Supertech oil and their filters, Walmart has other companies make for them, which for oil, is from Warren Oil, the same supplier for Kirkland brand, Amazon-basics, etc.

It hasn't been demonstrated that Pennzoil Platinum purchased at WalMart is inferior to Pennzoil Platinum purchased from other retailers, or the popular Mobil 1 0w40FS from walmart is any different than Mobil 1 0w40FS from other retailers

That's Walmart's Supertech oil and their filters, Walmart has other companies make for them, which for oil, is from Warren Oil, the same supplier for Kirkland brand, Amazon-basics, etc.

It hasn't been demonstrated that Pennzoil Platinum purchased at WalMart is inferior to Pennzoil Platinum purchased from other retailers, or the popular Mobil 1 0w40FS from walmart is any different than Mobil 1 0w40FS from other retailers
I never said that Pennzoil from Walmart was inferior to Pennzoil from anywhere else though...

Lol, that’s all the explanation I needed, and all anyone reading “your advice” needed as well. Enjoy buying your foreign oil, manufactured to the lowest price point, for a multi-billion dollar company like Walmart, who’s definitely NOT a middle man between you and Pennzoil….
Spend your money however you want. For me, there is zero value in AMSOIL products. They are, as I said, "Gucci Valvoline."

In your uninformed opinion, you mean. Seeing as you have no evidence to verify this bizarre correlation you’ve made up in your mind.
Please provide recent data showing that at least one of the main AMSOIL products will make the part of the vehicle that it's used in run longer, while minimizing wear and tear. Namely AMSOIL Signature Series motor oil, AMSOIL ATF/ATL Signature Series, or AMSOIL Severe Gear.

Please provide recent data showing that at least one of the main AMSOIL products will make the part of the vehicle that it's used in run longer, while minimizing wear and tear. Namely AMSOIL Signature Series motor oil, AMSOIL ATF/ATL Signature Series, or AMSOIL Severe Gear.
I never claimed it did? You're the one making unsubstantiated claims around here, which I'm assuming at this point, will remain unsubstantiated.

Pre-owned, well-maintained..
June 2023 - (New to me)

• 2010 Highlander Hybrid Limited
• 3.3L 6-cyl V-6
• Engine Code 3MZ-FE G

• Current odometer is 193,500 miles..
Previous oil change b-4 I purchased indicates Pennzoil 5w-20 synthetic..
I ran Amsoil Signature
Series Synthetic 5w-20 in my 2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L V-8 to 240,000 miles..
I'm hooked on Amsoil, so I checked my Highlander Hybrid owners manual which shows either 5w-20 or 0w-20..
Amsoil & Google research results:

100% Synthetic Hybrid [O-16, 0-20]
100% Synthetic High-Mileage [10-30]

Extended-Life 100% Synthetic [0-20]

Amsoil 0W-30 is my recommendation

Change once a year.

Indeed relax and drive.

No, I said it was manufactured to a price point, and then sold by Walmart.
Not a single formulator / blender creates lubricants to meet price points. That would be a futile exercise, given the current state of affairs. And even in the past, when the markets and the economy were more stable, they did not do so. Everyone blends for profit, and that's an entirely different approach.

Not everyone is able to get their hands on Shell's GTL, or their best materials, so they won't have nice things to say about it. Conversely, ExxonMobil will not do business with everyone, so those left out will have to get materials somewhere else. And then there are economies of scale: it costs far less for BP, Shell, XOM, Chevron, Philips, etc. to blend lubricants than your average blender, like AMSOIL. Not only can the big guys charge less, but they can even do price dumping just to stay market leaders. After all, when it comes to consumers, they don't make the bulk of their profit from lubricants, but rather fuels.

Now, I'd love to see that data showing how AMSOIL is better than others. Not everyone else, obviously, just the "bargain" brands... from Walmart (M1, PUP, Castrol, etc.)

Not a single formulator / blender creates lubricants to meet price points.
I think it is fair to state that blenders blend to meet the current OEM specifications and ultimately, the final product needs to be price competitive in order for them to be relevant in the marketplace.

The boutique brands can sometimes not follow conventional industry norms since they tend to treat their products as "academic experiments."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back