Quake State Defy TDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reviewing the MSDS here I believe it's mostly synthetic. Quoted from the MSDS "Synthetic base oil and additives.
The highly refined mineral oil is only present as additive diluent."

Now the old HM QS is conventional, as per the MSDS here. I believe QS Defy may be a sleeper oil.
smile.gif

I am having 2nd doubts that I should of used this instead of the PYB I used for my oil change today. I picked PYB because its price for the complete change was about 80 cents more than QS/QS Defy. I have not seen Pennzoil that close in price to QS in a while so I decided to spend the extra cost of a soda and go with Pennzoil. But after seeing defy's specs, if price stays the same I will go with it.

It might be a good oil, but they really should have their data sheets written by someone who understands English and reviewed by a scientist. I have never seen such poor English, punctuation, and misspellings from a major oil company, and the data is inconsistent with respect to significant figures and the use of commas. Come on QS, you can do better.

Tom NJ

Just bought some QSHM on sale for the C10 but might have to go in the Buick. Really curious about this oil even more now. Has anyone seen it in 10w40?

Originally Posted By: MrRPM
The VOA came back disappointing in the hyped yp ZDDP department.

This! And the 10w40 is still missing in action as far as I can tell.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
I believe it's mostly synthetic. Quoted from the MSDS "Synthetic base oil and additives. The highly refined mineral oil is only present as additive diluent."

The flash point may be good, but the pour point does not indicate much synthetic at all. Plenty of conventionals have lower pour points. Mostly synthetic? I highly doubt it. The MSDS does not have to be accurate in that respect. Consider what the MSDS is for. Dealing with a spill or fire with oil is the same whether it's Group I, II, III, or IV, and they have similar safety issues with skin contact.

Where they get picky on an MSDS is, for example, if a compressed LPG tank were labelled as compressed carbon dioxide, or anhydrous ammonia convoluted with natural gas, or ethanol versus hydrochloric acid.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Odd that the 10w40 is API SN.

Since 10w-40 isn't a resource conserving grade, I'm really not surprised.

I just bought a 5qt jug of DEFY 5W30 at W*M yesterday for $14.48. The back label says it's SL. Good for an older engine like mine! I'll use it in the '80 Firebird Formula this summer.

I have been using MaxLife 5W30 the past 3 OCI's/summers and it has slowed down the oil leaks(spotting on the garage floor). We'll see how the Defy works and if it continues to slow down the leaks even more, or stops 'em.

The low temperature pumpability is decidedly unimpressive. Since it isn't an SN oil or meet ACEA specs, it's anyone's guess how much worse that becomes with use.

Agreed. People complained about the pour point of Mobil Super 1000 conventional 5w-30, since Imperial Oil talks about cold weather performance with it. It's pour point is the same as Defy's, and people believe Defy to be predominantly synthetic? I don't think so.

Since Defy is SL in the 20 and 30 grades, that means it has a max Phos content of 1000ppm, which to me does not make it a high-zddp oil. Other oils, such as Valvoline VR1 have 1300ppm of Phos, and I call that "high zddp". A good characteristic of Defy is the low-volatility zddp, which means it will stay in the engine where it is needed, and out of the cat where it is not.

Defy 10w40 can be labeled SN because Phos limits do not apply to viscosity grades 40 and above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
It might be a good oil, but they really should have their data sheets written by someone who understands English and reviewed by a scientist. I have never seen such poor English, punctuation, and misspellings from a major oil company, and the data is inconsistent with respect to significant figures and the use of commas. Come on QS, you can do better.

Tom NJ

I agree. Completley unacceptable.

I am sure the oil is good. Get it together SOPUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back