Outrageous Price of BMW LL17FE+ engine oil

I recognize that BMW's LL17FE+ oil standard is not one that every manufacturer is trying to meet, and that it presumably requires some fancy footwork in the lab to conform, but I am nonetheless shocked and appalled to see Pentosin's offering selling for $26 a quart on Amazon. I was already squeezed by paying between $50 and $60 for five quarts of Liqui-Moly. Will we ever see this standard met by Quaker State at less than $35 for five quarts? Will we ever be able to have a decent discussion about whose LL17FE+ offering is best, or are we destined to by as cheaply as we can, or defy BMW's guidance for their most ubiquitous new engines and simply go for a cheaper 0W20 oil.

I'm glad my vehicles are not this fussy about oil. The most I've paid in a long time was 23.00 a gallon for ultra platinum Pennzoil high mileage full synthetic 5-30. I just checked my oil and it's almost hard to see the fresh oil on the dipstick. so clean.

Walk into any BMW dealership in the country and ask for a liter of 83 21 5 A2A FC5 and they'll sell you all you want. All of the local dealers in my area (5 dealers total) all sell it for $10.89 a liter.
Okay, but still no bargain.

I'm glad my vehicles are not this fussy about oil. The most I've paid in a long time was 23.00 a gallon for ultra platinum Pennzoil high mileage full synthetic 5-30. I just checked my oil and it's almost hard to see the fresh oil on the dipstick. so clean.
That's the right price and $23 is my bogey for 0W20 for several cars in Honda Land. (Quaker State Full Syn is reliably available at that price). I am assuming that you are rubbing it in with the dipstick comment, knowing that the BMW's in question don't have dipsticks.

A spec for a special expensive oil seems like something a person should know about and be okay with before buying the vehicle if maintaining it to manufacturer spec is desired. That would be irritating every time an OC is needed. Of course there is an image to maintain, nobody expects a BMW to be as inexpensive to run as a Honda do they?

A spec for a special expensive oil seems like something a person should know about and be okay with before buying the vehicle if maintaining it to manufacturer spec is desired. That would be irritating every time an OC is needed. Of course there is an image to maintain, nobody expects a BMW to be as inexpensive to run as a Honda do they?

This is an important aspect that needs repeated. Sometimes buying a high end luxury or sports car is one thing, but maintaining it is a entirely different animal. For example, people that picked up used Nissan GTR's when they were a little more affordable than they are now and were in complete shock at the cost of brakes, fluid changes, tires, and other maintenance. The maintenance on these cars is incredibly expensive.

PS, I am not putting the OP in this category. Just wanted to express the random thought on the subject.

Last edited:
I miss the old days, mid-1960s, when I ran my vehicles on 20w-50 Valvoline Racing Oil, that I bought in bulk. $8.50 for a 24 quart case. I later changed to Castrol GTX, which wasn't much more.

You forgot that gas was 39 cents a gallon then, a new car $3,500, a house $40,000 and a good salary $10,000 a year. Adjusted for inflation from 1965, that same quart of oil in today’s dollars is $3.42.

In 1992, Mobil 1 was $4 a quart, $8.77 in today’s dollars. I pay $5.60 a quart now when I buy the 5 quart jugs on Amazon for $28, and the deliver it to my house.

I recognize that BMW's LL17FE+ oil standard is not one that every manufacturer is trying to meet, and that it presumably requires some fancy footwork in the lab to conform, but I am nonetheless shocked and appalled to see Pentosin's offering selling for $26 a quart on Amazon. I was already squeezed by paying between $50 and $60 for five quarts of Liqui-Moly. Will we ever see this standard met by Quaker State at less than $35 for five quarts? Will we ever be able to have a decent discussion about whose LL17FE+ offering is best, or are we destined to by as cheaply as we can, or defy BMW's guidance for their most ubiquitous new engines and simply go for a cheaper 0W20 oil.
Amazon prices are almost always higher than what can be found elsewhere. In any case Euro branded oils have become more expensive to import into the US. BMW dealers still sell at competitive prices. I'm surprised M1 ESP 0w20 hasn't picked up LL17FE but that may change in the near future. I've wondered myself if the lack of options in part revolves around that fact that it's a royal pain to remove the oil filters on these b-series engines which discourages DIY.

With you living in NJ I would use FCP Euro. Shipping used oil back to CT from NJ shouldn't be that expensive.

Amazon prices are almost always higher than what can be found elsewhere. In any case Euro branded oils have become more expensive to import into the US. BMW dealers still sell at competitive prices. I'm surprised M1 ESP 0w20 hasn't picked up LL17FE but that may change in the near future. I've wondered myself if the lack of options in part revolves around that fact that it's a royal pain to remove the oil filters on these b-series engines which discourages DIY.

With you living in NJ I would use FCP Euro. Shipping used oil back to CT from NJ shouldn't be that expensive.
Amazon raises prices for Prime members to cover the "free" freight. I've seen big price differences on an item on Amazon if I look at it without being signed in and then when I look at it again after signing in. Most items are higher after I sign in., especially for relatively inexpensive stuff.

Back