Oil is Oil

Thay are pretty much all the same at any given price point the question is will we notice the difference and the truth is unless there is a design or quality problem most engines outlast the vehicle if cared for. [Sticking with the major quality bottlers]

Last edited:
"steak is steak".
200w.gif

"Can anyone here definitively state that one oil underperforms and one outperforms. "
With this basic criteria, the answer is yes. yet water has lubricating properties, but it is not oil.

Can anyone here definitively state that one oil underperforms and one outperforms. Ater 23 years of reading BITOG I have yet to answer this question..
As you should know by now not all oils are formulated for long drains. IOW would you take Castrol GTX to 15k-20k miles over Amsoil or HPL?

Here is what I think. Within the confines of an adequate OCI with an adequate filter and typical driving habits with a properly engineering and built engine, all oils meeting a certain specification will provide similar function. So, in that regard, oil is oil. You need to get to the fringes or outer limits of OCI or driving habits to see a difference.

"Can anyone here definitively state that one oil underperforms and one outperforms. "
With this basic criteria, the answer is yes. yet water has lubricating properties, but it is not oil.
Huh? Water is not oil. And it's assumed we're not talking about salad oil.

There is a difference, its all described on the home page. I suspect for a normal daily driver passenger vehicle you won't see it till maybe a 15K OCI, possibly more?

Personally I think contaminants and wear particles in the oil are a far bigger problem than the oil breakdown itself.

I like the 3 packs of mobil 1 walmart mistakenly sells for $24.47 :ROFLMAO:

far as modern engines are concerned 90 percent of the time if you use the correct grade for your climate you will have years of good service. i would find brand a personal preference mostly.

This is just another rephrasing of "what oil is best?"

Bob?

Tony?

Where art thou?

The answer is and always will be "it depends" and the question is terrible. If you run any oil in a engine for 1 minute, probably doesn't matter. Go 100 hours, maybe some differences start to show up. Go 1000 hours and tell me all oils are the same.

Can anyone here definitively state that one oil underperforms and one outperforms. Ater 23 years of reading BITOG I have yet to answer this question..

I can definitely state some oils are more likely to increase fouling, and others decrease it or just keep internals clean.

Don't get me started on Noack either, I wonder how much of LSPI problems comes from high Noack oils, as it always comes down to oil mixing with the intake air....

Back